Fear, Anxiety, Depression, Pain & Immobility

pickle21236

Country
United States United States
I am new to this pre-op Hip Forum and this is my first post. Please bear with me.\

Dec 3rd 2020 I underwent surgery for a torn Achilles Tendon followed by 6 months of rehab PT. July 22, 2021 I underwent Lumbar Disc Decompression Surgery, in one week I am scheduled for Hip Surgery. The last 4 months I have increasing levels or right hip pain and groin pain combined with weakness in my right leg wanting to give way. I recently turned 80. My life has been active in recreational court sports and fitness exercise.
When the right hip problem first appeared it was mostly pain but then evolved into immobility in walking requiring the use of a walker even on short distances.
I scheduled my hip surgery after diagnosis "Severe Osteoarthritis Right Hip Ball Joint." I have been waiting over 3 months for my surgery due to the bag log of cases before me.
I have experienced depression, thinking I would never be able to walk again with the assistances of a walking aid. I would lose my independence to do my own personal care, drive a car and enjoy socializing with friends and family. Even after I was scheduled for the hip surgery, I cannot seem to maintain a positive out look on the effects of this surgery. The Surgeon was non-committal about success of this procedure and said everyone recovers differently.
I want to believe that when I awake from the anesthesia I will notice some degree of improvement with less pain and improved mobility., I am scared that when I awake from anesthesia I will not see any improvement. Is this a common mindset among some pre-op patients?

@pickle21236 Welcome to BoneSmart! Will you be having a hip replacement? I will put the information in a signature for you.
thinking I would never be able to walk again with the assistances of a walking aid.
On the contrary - you will be mobile again. Once that hip heals you will get back to active living.

I'm not sure why your surgeon is questioning the success of THR. It is one of the most successful surgeries - literally life changing. That first step post op is amazing. No more bone crushing hip pain. Sure there is pain from having a surgical procedure. But that is easily controlled with proper pain management medication.

Have a read in our hip recovery area. Lots of success stories! And for every story there, there are literally thousands of people who are off living life again post THR.

Wow, you've been through the wringer in the past uear or so, haven't you? I hope your two surgeries went well and you have relief from whatever problems they were supposed to fix.
I didn't know what to expect upon waking up, but after having viewed some videos of the surgery, I thought probably there would be pain. The procedure pretty brutal.
I can tell you that when I woke up from my hip surgery, I was pain free for the first time in years. Both that dull sickening ache and the sharp stabs were
G-O-N-E. I knew that part of the anesthesia/surgery included the use of an extended effectiveness numbing medication in the hip, so credited that. I was able to go home hours after surgery and had prescribed pain meds for a few days. The post op "pain" was more of a soreness and tenderness very much different from the previous hip pain, much more tolerable. I have difficulty even calling it pain at just over two months out.
As far as mobility, in the first weeks there have been limitations...using a walker, then moving on to a cane. But for me, I was able to ditch both fairly quickly. The biggest limits are from the surgeon's restrictions, and they are very annoying but also temporary. I can say that mine is wonderful within the (insert bad words) restrictions. Standing and walking, driving, doing chores around the house and yard, no problems, and no reason to doubt it'll be better once the restrictions are lifted.
From what you mention about your surgeon's comments, I wonder if there isn't some confusion between the success of the surgery and the recovery. I would bet that he waffled somewhat meaning some people like me sail right through while others have more difficulty, and it's impossible for him to predict where you'll be. Also, it might that if he says something like you'll be back to your usual activities in X weeks, it might lead to you either being upset that you just can't, or you push yourself and get into trouble. Asking him to clarify might help you.
Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Hip surgery is a hugely successful operation for most people and it’s far more likely it will result in improvement for you than not. Surgeons have to go through the risks, it doesn’t mean they will all materialise. In terms of ‘waking up from anaesthesia’, most hip operations (at least in the UK) these days are performed with a spinal block plus sedative, as it’s lower risk than going under with a general. If you get the choice, I would recommend it. You can have enough sedative to be out of it, but you are breathing by yourself and able to protect your airway.

@pickle21236

This surgery has changed my outlook. I can walk without crunching, grinding, stabbing pain.

While I know recoveries are different, I can't imagine your surgeon being wishy washy about this particular surgery.

I know it's stressful thinking about it, but I really believe the methods and technology have come a long way in helping people's lives.

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
I believe everyone suffers anxiety to some degree before major surgery and you've been through a lot this past year. No one wants to lose their natural hip, but try to focus on recapturing the life you knew before the recent surgeries became necessary due to pain and the resulting limitations in mobility.

My mom had her second hip replaced at 80 and did great. While she is healthy, she doesn’t engage in sports as you do and her exercise amounts to walking, only when she feels like it. She left the hospital with a cane, which I don’t recommend and ditched that after a week or two as she complained it got in her way. She drove at two - three weeks post op and had a wonderful recovery, for each of her hip replacements. While all recoveries are different, unless there is something about you that we’re unaware of, I don’t understand why your surgeon isn’t more supportive and encouraging which would boost your confidence in him and in your ability to have a healthy uneventful recovery.
In all you’ve shared, I’m sure you will do very well. After all, why not? Focus on the New Year and on how much you’re going to enjoy having your life back….because you will.

Stay in touch, we’re here for you. Wishing you peace and comfort as you wait out these last few days before your new beginning. :)

Oops, almost forgot…please leave your surgery date below and which hip will be replaced. We’ll use the info to create a signature for you which is helpful for all that stop by your thread to read / comment.
Thanks in advance.
@pickle21236

Sounds like you've already lost some mobility from the pain. Everyone is different and everyone heals and recovers differently. I can only speak for myself and making the decision to have both my THR's was not an easy decision, and I knew it was coming for almost 50 years. I was extremely worried about losing my mobility, I had pain but I was used to it but I was always able to do whatever I wanted. I remember awaking with my first THR and going through my checklist. First was that I awoke, always a good thing. Then I looked to see if my foot was facing correctly and my legs looked OK. From there it was a slow process and checking the boxes as I recovered. I can say that my ROM was noticeably better within the first few days. The improvements will come slowly and when the pain from the procedure fades and the strength returns that's when you will know it was worth it.

I think it's a natural thinking of any pre op patient. We hope you get better after getting operate. We pary for your recovery and wish you luck.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back