Ankle FDA notice Mar. 15, 2021: Possible problems with STAR implant

Jamie

Staff member since Feb, 2009
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
If you have a Stryker STAR ankle replacement or are considering getting one, please read this article issued today by the FDA. It provides links to reporting sites should you experience problems with your implant. If you are considering this device, contact your surgeon and discuss the decision based on this information. Remember, this is a risk and not a certainty, but it is something you need to be aware of.

Yikes! :yikes: My STAR is now over 9 years old, I did get one of the biggest poly bearings to give me the most ROM as possible so I guess I'm a little less worried but....

The current spacers being implanted have been updated, and should function as expected.

Guess I will get an improved spacer eventually, when I had my STAR replacement they HOPED to get 10 years before revision, so it seems I'm at least ahead of the curve. Can't say it doesn't concern me though.

I may have made this thread a bit on the alarmist side. Always remember that these things are good to know about, but the risk is by no means a certainty. Any problems are a small percentage of the people who have the implants.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back