THR FCBayern's Recovery

How wonderful! So nice to put a face to your name. I also feel blessed to have the option of joint replacement. It is sad to think of where most of us would be without this second chance. Your words and photo will encourage those following behind you. Your support and advice shared here is appreciated.
Wishing you many more challenging hikes!
@FCBayern

Awesome. It is so wonderful to be able to do things we enjoy again. I also noticed you have the same hiking poles that I do. I really love mine. Keep on hiking and posting those great pictures. :hiking:

Wow, what a first trip as both retired and sporting 3 replacement joints! In 7 days visiting Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyon Lands and the Valley of the Goblins I totaled over128,900 steps with three days well in excess of 20,000 steps. Finished off with an 8 hour drive in the little sports car and finished the entire week with NO pain from my replacement joints! (Now sore muscles we won't even talk about :heehee:) Hiking rugged trails was something I thought I would never do again, modern medicine is truly amazing.

On a separate note my younger Brother had his left hip replaced last Thursday. Don't know if he will do more than lurk, but I've made sure he at least has the recovery guidelines.

Attachments

• Bryce Canyon.jpg
    Bryce Canyon.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 190
Wow, you are an inspiration! Sounds like an amazing trip. I keep meaning to tell you — every time your name pops up, I remember being in Germany when Germany won the World Cup. What an amazing day that was!!!

Thanks @Woodstockhip, hopefully my experience can help someone that's not sure about proceeding with having their own THR, I have been nothing but pleased with all three of my replacements. We were actually in Germany for World Cup 2006, unfortunately they didn't win then (I was hoping to be part of the celebration!) but what a good time in such a beautiful country.

Well today is the one year anniversary of my THR. I still get an occasion twinge going up stairs and it's still not always comfortable to sleep on the operated side, but those are such small complaints compared to the years of pain leading up to both knee and hip replacement. I do most anything I want without thinking about it much. My son commented that I move better now that I did 10 years ago. All in all I couldn't be happier with my replacements and all that I can do again. :walking:

Happy One Year Anniversary!
What a wonderful update. It’s nice to read how well you’re doing and that you’re able to engage in most anything you want. We’re blessed to live in a time affording us this second chance. Thanks for all the support you offer here. I hope your holidays are great and the new year all you want it to be! :)
@FCBayern

Happy One Year!
Things will keep improving and you will be fine as frog hair.
:froggies:
Glad you have been sharing your journey with us.

Hey, I like the new green banner you’re sporting. Well deserved!
You are a great addition to the BoneSmart staff. The wisdom you share through personal experience with multiple surgeries benefits many as do the words of comfort and encouragement you so freely offer.
A big Congrats to you!
@FCBayern

Wow @FCBayern , you've done great with your hike and look happy. The Brice Canyon is also impressive. I've never been there but I'd like to go. When we went to the US in 1981, we just saw the Grand Canyon, like most tourists do, I suppose. Why are you an "FC Bayern"? I'm from Munich but moved further and further north for a while, ending up in Flörsheim near Frankfurt. Surely, many of us in Munich were fans of FC Bayern. Do you or did you play football? You can take it up now that you are enjoying your new hip. I had total left hip replacement in 2015 and have taken up long-distance running again. I like running and triathlon. I wish you a continued good life with the new joints - Constanze

Thank you @Layla, I hope that I can live up to the great example set by yourself and all the rest of the BoneSmart staff.

Hi @Constanze, although I played a lot of sports soccer wasn't really popular in the US when I was a kid so I was never really exposed. My boys however wanted to play when they were 6 & 7 so I spent the first year as a spectator then the following year I started to help coaching. I absolutely fell in love with the game and spent 16 years coaching through traveling teams and 5 years at our local high school. I watched a lot of European soccer but never could quite make a connection for a team to root for until 2006 when my wife and I visited Germany for World Cup. We fell in love with Bavaria and the Munich area, so I felt like I had some connection to the team and I have been a fan since.

Oh yes, of course, I'd forgotten - you say soccer. Bavaria, especially Munich and the Alpes and the lakes south of Munich are great places and I miss them sometimes. Maybe one day, you could go there again. Take care Constanze

My bucket list includes seeing a match in person and taking in October fest. I will definitely visit again, such a beautiful country with very warm and welcoming people.

@FCBayern It's great to see you joining the Bone Smart staff! :wave: :banana-santa:

Just realized I missed my two year hipaversary on Thursday. I actually spent the day preparing the house for an upcoming house warming party. Being in a typical Caribbean house on stilts that means lots of going up and down stairs as the house is a level above all my tools, storage, and work areas. My large yard is also on a slope, so just picking up after 4 dogs means quite a hike up and down the hill. With all that in mind I did over 15,000 steps on Thursday without a single thought about my hip. I will forever appreciate the miracle of modern medicine that has given me a pain free mobile life once again, and the support I received here during my recovery journeys.

@FCBayern I know many of our members wonder if they will ever forget about their replaced hip. Your experience is proof it happens. I can't tell you how many hipaversaries I have missed!

Sounds like your new house is keeping you fit!

Two Years, woohoo! :happydance:
A belated Happy Anniversary to you!
Here‘s to many, many more. :cheers:
@FCBayern

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks