BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] FC Bayern's House of Pain<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by FCBayern, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Smokey253

Smokey253 junior member

United States United States
    I was using a walker before surgery because my knees were so painful and would buckle at times. Also with the snow and ice I felt more secure. Since surgery I find I am comfortable without it while in the house - But for out of the house I use it again because of the weather etc. I am in no hurry to give up my aids cane or walker until I feel I’m ready

2. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I went 2-3 weeks with the walker before switching to the cane. I needed a bit less time with the walker with knee #2, possibly because my good leg was stronger by #2.

3. rustic

rustic junior member

Lots of stairs in and around my house, so a walker would be cumbersome. Crutches worked good on the stairs, and fiti n the car nicely. Then, I went to a single crutch. Then, a short period with a cane.

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As long as you feel it appropriate. Actually, I never used a walker for either knee except for one day. I went straight to these elbow crutches which were quite sufficient for my needs.
    my crutches.JPG

5. julie1968

julie1968 junior member

It's a shame that the people who really need pain meds are being punished because of the ones that abuse it. Hope your pain gets better and your recovery is good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FCBayern

FCBayern junior member

Saw the PA today and he was very happy with where I'm at. He is also willing to prescribe more pain meds if I need them, unlike the OS they understand that you are not going to do the exercises they want you to do if they cause pain you can't get relief from.

On a separate issue I'm having as issue with my ulnar nerve in my right side. Apparently resting my elbow on the arm rest of my chair has aggravated it and I'm having issues with numbness in my pinky and ring finger as well as strength issues with the hand. Kind of irritating.

7. Josephine

8. eaglemom

eaglemom member

I'll chime in on the walker as I'm 6 days from my revision. I didn't want a thing to do with a walker, I don't think it was vanity, I just didn't think / see the need for one. However each surgery I've used one and been grateful to have one available. I'm using it now and I can tell I'm just move "secure" if you will in my steps. It forces me to stand straight and do heal to toe walking. I don't plan on giving mine up for awhile - I'm trying to learn good habits and have them carry me onward.

9. FCBayern

FCBayern junior member

Had my second in house PT yesterday. ROM is 85 and +8. Flat told the PT that I would work stretching exercises but not strengthening for now and he didn't have an issue with that which is good because there's nothing he could do about it if he didn't like it!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Josephine