TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brave fairy friend how good to know you are home and beginning to learn how to deal with new baby knee. So many different experiences with the second knee, thank-you for sharing with us all. My surgeon told me number two was not that far off so I read your posts with obvious interest. :what: Remembering how we shared the recovery ride for number one, already that 'every one is different' has emerged quite clearly.

Just 12months ago I participated in a 10km run which really finished my right knee...as you know it took until February before I was able to have my RTKR and although recovery seemed so slow at the beginning true to what the wise ones kept saying it just keeps getting better. :yahoo:

On Sunday I'm going to participate in that same event...no I won't be running and I will not be going 10kms...just a gentle 5km stroll around the course which follows a creek. No... it won't matter how long it takes, many places to sit and have a rest if necessary...just easy peasey. I'll be thinking about you and all our other Bones smarties...the wisdom, support and encouragement from the group that has enabled me to deal with all the pre and post op mountains we have had to conquer. :happydance:

But in particular I will think about your new baby knee and say a prayer that your healing continues so real soon you will once again be able to sprinkle that fairy dust of yours (have you improved the formula at all :heehee: ) all over the place.

take care
hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:

Hello gami
Lovely to see your post. How are you my friend?
I am very well and enjoying my two shiny knees. Knee 2 is settling in nicely and is starting to behave. The oozing has almost stopped now which is good. I am still on extra gentle stretches and limited walking but once it has stopped completely I can start to build up some repetitions and get it moving a bit more.
I felt good today and have been for a walk "round the block" this morning and again this evening. Lots of resting In between.

I did a 10k walk a few weeks ago before knee 2 and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was exhausted after and pretty sore but after a good nights sleep I was fine. Like you I had envisaged a gentle meander in my own time with rests as needed. The reality was a bit different. There were 700+ people walking and it was like a forced march! I was part of a group and it was a charity fundraising walk. We finished the evening with a moonlit picnic and fireworks. It was a great evening.

Do you have any idea when you will have knee 2 done? I hope knee 1 is behaving and that you are well. Your travels sounded really exciting.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :friends: :yes!:

I am glad you are coming along:yes:.... It is nice to get your own coffee or tea and getting out for a meal is a pleasant break as well. We all need little things to look forward to, to keep our morale up.
I really hate being laid up but soon I too will be on the mend. My surgery date is November 19 2013 for my second tkr. It is a little farther away than I expected but my return to work will be closer to the opening of the garden center next spring and hopefully I can work out there next summer too. You will be dancing circles around your home when I have my left done and it will be my turn to be jealous.:wink:

Good morning Joy Creeker13
Thank you for your post. I am doing really well. I did overdo things yesterday because I was feeling so well. :blush:
I shouldn't have gone for that second walk as I was really sore late in the evening. You would think I would know better this time! :whistle:

By the time you next op comes round I will be thinking about going back to work. :yikes:
I am not going to think about that yet.

It is not easy to give up your independence and become dependent after this surgery. I am fighting it less this time than I did last time. It is nice to be cared for and my husband is making a good job of it.

Will your second surgery be with the same surgeon and at the same hospital as last time? It will be interesting to see if there have been any changes in their protocols in the last year.

The great thing about knee two is that you know it is all done then. I can walk up stairs now without crunching and creaking all the way. Hooray.

Have a great day,
Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :yes!: :wink:

Same Dr. and same hospital as last year:yes!: .... The only thing I hope changes is I hope to get a bed or room in the osteo ward. Last time around, someone had an infection and was not discharged so 3 of us were left in the recovery overnight, then put on the day surgery ward and were kind of forgotten. To be out of the way, we were put at the far end of a very long ward farthest from the bathroom.... Every few of hours I shuffled the length of the ward to go to the loo. :groan: Next morning I was whisked away to x-ray seconds before my breakfast arrived.... mmmmm, ice cold oatmeal and coffee on my return:doh:.... I was doing the best so I was last to be moved upstairs at 6 pm on the second day. My dinner was sent down stairs to me as I was taken upstairs to my room.... Someone else thought I was discharged and gave away my dinner and there were no spares. :cry: A lovely nurse:angel: on the ward dug up some left over lunch sandwiches for me and that was dinner..... end day 2... Rob was on the ferry when they took me for the walk and checked me out to leave... She wanted to know how to get a hold of my husband to let me go home... I said he would be here any time... The elevator in the alcove dinged and my wonder full guy stepped out. :yahoo: I was never so happy to see his smiling face!!!! Needless to say we finished the walk and I was signed out and on the next ferry home. Hopefully things will go better this time.... Think I will pack some snacks this time.... LOL ... a three course meal maybe! I too hate being dependant on others.
I thought you might be overdoing a little. Remember.... Ice, Elevate and Rest.... you take care of your baby!:no-fin:

Hellooooooooooooo my fab fairy friend! My goodness you've been busy these last couple of weeks!

congratulations :yay: :spin: :happydance:

im so pleased to here all is well and you have a wonderful shiny knee número 2, what a clever fairy you are.:egypdance:

also so glad you experienced the private via nhs route, isn't it fab eh ?

All these new faces on here as well, I feel totally lost! Glad Pat and Gami are keeping watch!

im doing ok, been sooo busy. Holiday was brilliant, but distant memory alas. All back to school now so non stop.

my own knee is ok, not great still, but I'm digging deep and getting on. Nuff said.

lots of extra big :friends:to you and :flwrysmile:. I've missed you!
Sweet dreams :sleep:. Fernie xx

Hi Joy Creeker13
That sounds like a horrendous experience in hospital last time.
Are you sure you want to go back there? Did you write and complain?
I think an emergency snack bag is a very good idea. Maybe you should remind them of your horrible time at your Pre op check and when you get admitted in the hope that they will prioritise you for extra special treatment this time.
Hopefully that was a one of and this time you will be in the proper place.
I have taken things very easy today,
Time to sleep,
Have a great day tomorrow
Toothfairy x :dancy:

Lovely to see your post Fernie
I have missed you too.
I enjoyed my private hospital experience and I will be having my physio there too.
Glad you enjoyed your holiday. It's amazing how soon it seems like a distant memory.
Things are going well with me. I am still doing very little, lots of resting, lots of reading and a little knitting and of course lots of TV.
My husband is being brilliant again.
Must go to sleep now, take care,
Hugs Toothfairy x :friends: :bicycle2:

No worries... :whistle: I will have snacks and enough money to order food delivery if they screw it up again!!!! :tada:
I wasn't where I should have been and I think the other department resented having us down there. I was pretty mobile even for the long walk to the loo....:doh: I can be an independent cuss.... I should have feigned helpless and unable but they gave me too many good drugs for that.:happydance: Woo hoo, party at my bed!!!!! :giggle: There are a lot of things I will make sure are covered this time. :wink:

Hi Toothfairyyyyyyyyyyy, thanks for stopping by my thread sprinkling your pixie dust around.... BOY do I need it. :yes:

Hope everything is going well with you and you're having a Knee-easy day! :flwrysmile:

Hi Joy Creeker13, BionicWoman2 and Pat robynhood
Thank you for your posts.
I have had a very relaxing and lazy day today. I didn't sleep too well last night so have enjoyed just taking today very slowly.
The good news is my wound has stopped oozing and is now dry. As it has been dry for two days now I have taken the dressing off as instructed and am letting it have some air. It is looking good in a bruised and battered rugged sort of way.
My knitting is progressing well.
Hoping for a better nights sleep tonight.
Happy weekend to all,
Hugs Toothfairy x :tada: :dancy: :wink:

That's excellent news!
What are you knitting?
Hoping you sleep well tonight and have a good weekend.
Sue. :friends:

Ooooo glad its stopped the oozing at last. Cant have been very nice. Let us know what you are knitting. I've started doing another cross stitch . I need something to do at night I get bored with just watching tv. Now you take it easy this weekend. Do not start exercising too much. Weather forecast not too good so stay in, relax and ice, ice ice. Hugs hugs hugs :friends:

Hi did you say you were walking around the block? I am at 7 weeks and still havent got the nerve to do that I have walked around a store. Good job I'm inspired i might try to walk a little today. Hope you get some sleep. Im still having those issues thought they were over but their baaack

Good morning Sue Dabber, Pat robynhood, kneewords and Maria daughter stalker
I am knitting a jumper for my husband, at least it's meant to be for him. I'm not entirely sure it will be big enough.
It's quite a loose knit so it will probably stretch and be fine but I won't know until I see it all done. It certainly won't be baggy. If its too small for him I will have it as its really nice. It won't go to waste. Almost finished the back.

I'm not planning to do anything energetic this weekend Pat. I am pleased the oozing has stopped. It just made the dressings look icky but it wasn't smelly or gross, just slowed me up a bit.
I am more content to just sit back and relax this time and am not trying to push myself on. I am icing a lot. I love my ice. My new knee is great and is bending really well. I am so lucky again.
What cross stitch are you doing now? I have a lovely one waiting to be done but I just have not got the patience at the moment, I would rather knit.

Hi Kneewords, I have walked round the block a few times. I did start with shorter walks. It's not too far and is mainly flat and I take it slowly. I find it does me so much good to be outside for a little spell even if its only 10 minutes.

Thank you Maria, I hope you have an awesome weekend too. Hope you can fit in some relaxing time. It's not easy when you are back at work.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :happydance:

Good evening Toothfairy. Sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work. Enjoy your down time. Take care.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

Hello, friend! Life has hit me full in the face with little time to visit here. I wanted to drop by and see how you were doing. Sounds like you are doing well except for the oozing issue. Great that the bend is there for you and that you are back to knitting! Your positive attitude is again shining bright. Keep up the good work!

Hi TF Thought I would pay you a house call. Yes, I'd like a cup of tea and a chocolate eclair would go down a treat. Don't get up. I'll put the kettle on. Oh! there's only one eclair left. Better luck next time TF.

You were asking about the office chair I am trying out. Its pretty good. Its all to do with movement when you are sitting. The back moves as I move. But there's no head support. The one next week has that. So we'll see.

You sound well. Keep it up. Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member