TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
stopping in 4.jpg
Good to see you taking time to post some again, Toothfairy. Missed seeing you on the forum. Once you get back to work, life just sort of takes over and keeps you busy. Don't be a stranger. Keep us updated from time to time.

Take care. We care.

Thank you Judy bottomshollow
It is much more difficult to make time to post now I am back in the thick of things.
I do keep an eye on what is happening and post bits and pieces on other people's threads.
I almost feel a bit guilty when I post that all is well as some of my BS friends are having tough times but I do think it is good for people to see that TKR goes smoothly for some.
I am keeping my fingers tightly crossed that knee two is just as straight forward but time will tell.
I hope you are well, love your new avatar,
Hugs Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:

Hey TF! Hope you are able to escape work enough to enjoy this lovely sunshine!! I just get to stare wistfully out of my office window now & dream of days long past, crocheting, reading & relaxing...... Ah well.... Hope you get your date confirmed soon, thought it was sometime in July? Can't believe we've made it!!! Practically perfect in every way huh? :heehee: :ok: :rotfl: Big hugs :puppysmooze:

Very pleased to hear how well it has gone for you. We started this journey about the same time, and I look forward to being back on my bike and working full time (well???) again in a few months when #2 heals. Thanks for all of the encouragement along the way. Enjoy the summer.

Hi Guys - sorry i've been away a while - just not had much time and was a bit maudlin and thought best not to post than to keep moaning! Anyway, have updated my own post and said Hi to the AMAZING Alison on hers as well :)

the return to work, normal/manic life etc gets to us all and although we would love to post 20 times a day (like the early days!) it is just not possible, which I guess has to be a good thing.

Toothfairy, you sound v busy indeed but its so good that you are regularly cycling and getting with everything and you sound v happy.! Also great that SW is working its magic and the red and green days are being good to you.

I'm still in a bit of pain and my knee gets quite stiff and tight easily but I'm just trying to get on with it now.

I hope the grandkids are doing OK and everything else is well in your world.

Whats happening with job? has that been sorted now and have you got a date for No 2 knee? You'll be back knitting and on BS all day, every day again while you heal but at least you'll know what to expect this time around.

I'll catch up again soon, take care. Hugs
Fernie x

Hi Alison jetthugger, Ready and Fernie
Hello all. Still no date for knee two despite being 6weeks after my Pre op!
I am now off all regular pain meds, just the occasional paracetamol. My left knee still does get a bit stiff sometimes and still is a little swollen but its great. I find if my knee is stiff it always feels better after a spin on my exercise bike.
Great to hear you are all doing well.
My granddaughters are delightful and growing like weeds.
My job is still not fully resolved, there will be more staff changes which will cause upset. I won't be moved but some of my colleagues will which will impact on the team I am working in so it affects everyone really. I just wish management would get on and make the final changes so that everyone could settle down to getting on with things and get out of this spiral of negativity which is reinforced by the constant uncertainty. Apart from that its fine!
I am just keeping my head down and getting on with my work.
I am loving watching le tour!
Happy sunny Sunday and hugs and flowers to all,
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:

Hi toothfairy, how are you doing? Have you got a date through yet? Hope work ok
things been busy with me, knee not great, it fed up with it all now.

have a good weekend,fx

Hello Fernie , how lovely to hear from you.
I am sorry to hear your knee is not great. No wonder you are fed up.
What is happening with it, tell all.
My knee is doing really well ( sorry) it still gets a little stiff by the end of the working week and has the occasional twinge but absolutely nothing to complain about.
I am still cycling and swimming and keeping busy.
Work is dreadful. Every one is so unhappy. I am manically busy. I didn't leave till 6:20 on Thursday night having worked through from 08:00 with only a brief lunch break. I have been given a target to meet over the year which is challenging but told no allowance will be made for the time I have been off and will be off. I am told the consequence of not meeting the target will be performance management out of my job. It is impossible to meet the target in the time available to me. I am considering my options as I don't feel this is reasonable. I am also not sure if this is actually likely to happen, I feel my boss is out of her depth and is lashing out without thinking. I am someone she confides in and leans on and you know what they say, you always hurt tthe ones you love!!! I am taking deep breaths and thinking things through and avoiding knee jerk reactions but it is horrible. Our receptionist had a run in with the boss this week and is now almost certain to resign which will be a huge loss as she is a very valued team member. As I said, work is not a happy place just now.
I still don't have a date. As time goes in and I get on with my life more I am finding the prospect of knee two harder. For me it would have been easier to either do both together or really close together.
I am sure I will be fine once I get a date, it is the waiting that is so very hard.
Apart from that life is good, honestly.
I have two more days to work then I am off for a bit, we are off to Scotland for a family wedding. We drive up on Wednesday and spend a bit off time with the family then the wedding is on Saturday. I am then travelling to London by train to work for a couple of days and then we will be having the family visiting for a few days. Hopefully by that time I will have a date and will be able to count the days till my escape for a while!
Take care of yourself and I would love to hear all your news,
hugs, Toothfairy x :friends: :bicycle2:

Dear dear Fernie...so long since we chatted and I find you and Toothfairy are both not your usual selves. Perhaps another dusting of that somewhat magical fairy dust is needed. Okay so it's taking a while for these new knees to be fully trained and behave as we would like them too...but hey girls look just how far we have come...remember what it was like struggling around with those gimpy complaining old knees that refused to work. Now it did take a long time before they decided that they were going to give up on us...some of us longer than others so I guess we just have to try and give these new ones a bit of time to get used to the way we want to live these lives of ours. :yes!: :yahoo: :dancy: :happydance: Okay so my usual easy slide into my kayak is at this stage a rather slow awkward process and sometimes after I've been out paddling for a few hours I can hardly walk when I first hit dry land...I look a bit like a drunken duck :heehee: Sometimes it hurts like blazes behind my knee when I try and bend it and I wonder if I need to go see my surgeon again...then it settles and life is okay. :wink:
We are still travelling around and I can now get in and out of the caravan without using my arms to pull myself up the steps...so maybe that is progress. :hairpulling: yes it is frustrating it is taking us long time..but the wise ones told us that when we first joined...it's along recovery.
:martini: But you both are doing so well..you are back at work and getting on with life and you both have new knees in training....even with the uncertainty Toothfairy..you are a winner and you will be okay.
Come on now...how about a smile ..just think about the drunken duck waddle as I ease myself back onto dry land...and get this baby new knee working again. :spin: :yes!:

take care...life is getting better hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:

Hello gami , lovely to hear from you. I love your drunken duck image. :rotfl:
I was in Wales last week with my husband and we did some long walks. By day four both of us were very stiff and it looked really comical when we got out the car and hobbled a bit till we could get going. A right couple of old crocks but nothing to do with the TKR.
My TKR knee is just brilliant, I am so pleased with it. Apart from the glitches at work life is really good.
Work will work out or I will find a new direction. Time will tell.
I am so pleased to hear that things are going well for you too, the wonders of modern medicine.
Keep paddling,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :dancy: :happydance:

Hi rosieJ I saw your post on the October thread.
Your surgery date is coming round quickly. How do you feel about having knee two done?
I am still waiting for a date. I have now been told I will go to the local Spire hospital and have it done in the private sector as an NHS patient. There has been a suggestion that it will be in September but if so I wish they would hurry up and give me a date so I can get organised.
The delays are on the NHS side but my notes have now been sent off so I am hopeful that something will get sorted out either this week or next.
How is your first knee doing now?
I am really pleased with knee one. I am still cycling away on my exercise bike and swimming regularly.
I am much more daunted by the thought of surgery than I was in the early days post surgery. I think it is because I now have my life back and it is a thought to start all over again. Never mind, I will be fine once I have a date and can get on with it. I am not good at the waiting.
I will need my Pre op assessment repeated as it was done in early June. What a waste of resources.
I hope you have been enjoying a lovely summer and have some nice crafty projects lined up for when you are recovering.
Hugs, Toothfairy x

Hi Toothfairy, lovely to hear from you. I keep meaning to post and update my thread but something always takes over.... probably a good sign of health :)

sorry you haven't received you op date yet. I remember the first time around I went 4 months before my op and it was irritating not knowing when. I found the most irritating thing, was being told by the nurse and then the Registrar that each one would sort out my concerns about my blood pressure. I needed to be first on the list because without eating and drinking my already low blood pressure sinks terribly. The admissions lady actually managed to get me 2nd on the list but even by then there were major concerns and it took me 2 days to get back to my low/normal level. I am about to write to my surgeon tomorrow to raise my concern with him so hopefully cutting out the same problem happening again.

I've got my preop on the 24 Sept and in on the 7 Oct. I am beginning to have thoughts about it coming round again :tantrum: but it is more about, can they get me off the strong pain medication the day after surgery so that I don't spend 2 days throwing up! I want them to remove the pump and only have me on my arthritis medication (arcoxia) and paracetemol. Hopefully, if the op has gone as well as the other one, I wont have very much pain sitting around.

It is a pain for both of us (excuse the pun!) to go through it again but I have my sites constantly on March 2013 when I am hoping that if things aren't perfect they will be fantastically better than the years before. I am completely resigned to going with the flow as before. I've been stocking up on books from local charity shops (24 to date) and have lots of material in the house if I want to do anything. I bought a little tapestry to try out too. As I have to go back to work part time from week 4 and full time from week 6 I will rest as much as possible. I found it took me another 4 weeks after my return to work to feel more comfortable in the knee and have more energy to get through the day. 6 weeks goes so fast and things continue to improve all the time.

You were always so good about exercising. I found I couldn't do much on the bike or walking for quite a while. Not because of terrible pain but I had a spot at the side of the knee that used to burn after a small amount of walking and the same after cycling. If I did too much it got worse so I carried on doing things that would increase my ROM such as cleaning, washing, shopping, gardening, working - sliding across the room on my chair, such a great work out for strength as I had to "push off" so to speak. So I didn't have to stop anything really. At about the 5 month mark I was happy to cycle and walk as far as possible. I just wish my last bit of ROM would come. I used to notice it improving every 2/3 weeks but the last month it has been very slow. There is about 8 inches to go until it goes back to my thigh but I had such a bad ROM in the first place I know it is all muscular.

Did you have any tightness problems? I have a sore lower back sometimes, also the back and side of legs on and off. When I finally managed to get on the floor I started using my rubber ball (slightly smaller than a tennis ball) religiously and it has improved the tightness no end. I am sure it helps with the ROM too.

the worst thing about doing all this again is not working and earning money. It took me some time to get my diary booked up again with clients and then August hit (usually the worst month in the summer as people are on holiday). Now it will be no money again and then by the time I can get into my stride with clients it will be Dec and Jan (also the worst months). There isn't anything I can do but go with the flow and hope things get better next year. No xmas presents this year so hopefully I won't get too bored and start buying on line :)

Do let me know when your date is. I hope they let you know soon. A private hospital will be great and I am sure everything will be fine. At least we know what it all entails. I know it could be different as each knee is different but being on this site, lets us know what we can expect. Most importantly, you know that everything does get better especially when weird and wonderful pains come along. Your problem will be holding back :) Just imagine though, next year you are going to feel fab. Also, I think you said that work was a pretty unpleasant place to be.... so stepping out for a while is a good thing. I am sure you will be "done" before me but we will probably be in "confinement" together. How nice, a familiar face to speak too.

My step mother had a knee done yesterday. I did find it odd that family ignore the advice of someone who has had the op and will only listen to what the hospital say. Well..I suppose that's life.

anyway, better rush as Mikel (my son) is coming for lunch with his partner (Jay) and they are bringing Jay's mother to meet me for the first time! My mother is coming too and I have realised that I really don't have enough veg for the lamb roast and will have to go out in the disgusting rain to Tesco's. Potatoes to peel and tables to lay. gosh I hate cooking :)

Hope you are having a lovely weekend and everyone else out there who has managed to read through this very "Me" post.

big hugs Rosie xxx

Hi rosieJ
Thank for your lovely long post.
I do still have some tightness sometimes in both my knee and my lower back. My back is getting much better with weight loss and exercise and the passage of time. I saw the chiropracter the other day for my 3 month visit and he was really pleased and it was much less painful.
I have a date, I had a phone call today and they have asked me to go on Thursday this week. I was a bit stunned but have said yes. It was a bit tricky with work but we discussed it and the consensus was to go for it.
I will need to get my head round it tomorrow. I am being admitted at 4pm on Thursday, I am not sure yet what time the surgery will be. The details are a bit sketchy but I should find out more tomorrow.
Catch up soon, hugs, Toothfairy x

@Toothfairy THURSDAY :yikes: :happydance: :scary: :friends:!! Which is it? At least you have been through it before, so the 2 day notice isn't going to throw you too bad. I will be thinking of you as you prepare, anticipate, and reach the other side, again. GOOD LUCK FRIEND. We'll be here for you.

Wow.... Thursday!:thumb: :happydance: Best of luck TF..... I was called in June but have postponed it till Oct. once I get enough hours to collect sick benefits. I will be thinking of you..... all healing thoughts of course.

Thank you so much Ready and Creeker13
How are you doing Ready? I must admit to feeling a bit startled at the short notice. I was so stunned I didn't think to ask what the alternative would have been if I said no. Never mind, I said yes and will go for it.
I will be happier once I have been to see them and got answers to a few questions like what time do I need to stop eating/ drinking , when should I take my pre-op drinks etc.
I fitted in a shower with my pre op wash last night. I have been sending lots of e mails changing appointments etc.
No time to fret!

How are you feeling about doing knee 2 Joy? I was more ready to do it just after knee one, as time has gone on and life has got back to normal I find the prospect of starting again more daunting.
Never mind, I will soon be back on the recovery road where every day is a day nearer to recovery. Woo hoo.
It is great to know that I have everyone here to keep me company on the journey.
Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile:

Toothfairy, did I read correctly. You're going t have your 2nd knee done on Thursday. Hope all goes well. We're all here for you wishing you a speedy (as far as TKRs go) recovey.

Dorothy

Best of luck to you Toothfairy for your upcoming surgery! I wish you an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery. :) Will be waiting to hear how you are doing when you return back to this side again!

Hi toothfairy
Yahhhhh you are in tomorrow. Much better to have it sprung on you. Less time to think. Everything will be fine and will look out for more messages from you.
Biggest hugs Rosie xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTKR. 9 March 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88