THR Fairydell's recovery thread

I love that you asked your neighbour to watch out for a heap on the path. :) Good attitude to push through and get out there; grabbing a bit of independence must feel great. I haven't managed to sneak out on my own yet mainly because of heavy rain which is to stay with us for a few more days :oyvey:

Thanks ladies. @Mojo333 I have a follow up appointment with the surgeon on the 23rd May. He did say when I last saw him that diagnostic tests would only confirm what he can already see so there was no point in doing them????? He also said that the pain is a good sign (as have several other surgeons).

If one more person tells me that the pain is a good sign that things are trying to repair I may well scream

I understand, truly I do, but I think people mean well. Anyone who knows you, cares about you, or loves you hates to see you struggling. They'e looking for hope that things are improving for you or they are simply trying to encourage you.

It's nice to read you were able to get out for a walk yesterday. Hopefully you can build on it by doing the same today. It is encouraging that your leg felt different this morning. With any luck things are slowly beginning to improve. Happy Monday....hope you have a good week!
@Fairydell

Last edited:
Just wanted to pop in and say, I'm thinking of you.
Are you still having to use the leg brace in order to keep your leg from buckling?
Sending healing hugs and hoping some of your pain is subsiding.

Hi @Mojo333 I do still need the leg brace. I try not to wear it too much though as I struggle to lock my leg when I take it off. I am managing a little with one crutch indoors but I tire very quickly. I wouldn't dare walk out in the street without the brace but can manage to move around my garden with a pair of crutches

Hi @Fairydell I hope you had a nice weekend.
I find it encouraging you are able and feel comfortable enough to walk in the garden without your leg brace.
Hopefully you'll slowly build on that. Hang in there, I know it's discouraging, but brighter days are on the way.
Happy Tuesday!

How are all my fellow bone smarties coming along. Hope you are all doing really well and are pain free. It's been a beautiful day here in North East England. Wall to wall, blue sky and sunshine meant I could take a little walk along the street and then sit out in the garden and soak up some healing rays. I managed a little dead heading but realised I was breaking the 90 degree restriction so gave up and just supervised Tony doing it when he came home from work. He has a tendency to just rip everything out whether it's a weed or a flower if left to his own devices. xxx

It's 2.45 am and I am back on the sofa. The pain is so bad that I can't sleep and have come downstairs to play some music in the hope it will send me off to sleep. I am feeling very sorry for myself

I do hope you are keeping the OS office informed about your ongoing pain and slow progress.
Even if they don't take action, I feel it is important that realize it as an ongoing problem and that you are getting little sleep.
Hugs @Fairydell :console2:

@Fairydell
I really sympathise ŵith you. I go to sleep easily but wake after an hour and that's it. Tossing and turning, go to the recliner, legs up, legs down, go to the sofa. Nothing doing so back to bed.
The knee isn't comfortable in bed, although it's not exactly pain.
Anyway, have made a DR's appointment for Monday to get some sleeping tablets. I am really reluctant to do this but think that after 2 hip replacements and 1 knee maybe my body has got used to the odd hours and now needs to be retrained.
I do hope you get some good sleep soon but can't really offer any advice. :sad:

Well my lovely bone smarties. I am now a fully paid up member of the ODIC. The other day I forced myself to walk a little further than I really wanted to. I came back and used the old 'golf lunge' to dead head the flowers in the garden. Then my friend shared some exercises that Tony could help me with. We practised a few after she left but boy oh boy did I have a horrible night and dreadful pain the following day. So much for me toughing out the pain.. I am eating pain killers like they are sweeties. I discovered that it is perfectly safe to take two ibuprofen together with two paracetamol for the pain... so I am. It is only until I have the pain under control and although I didn't sleep very well I didn't wake up in agony last night. Hey ho there are never two days the same.

OMG, that is definitely the ODIC!!! You know what the forum mantra is, remember? No PT. The dead heading is ok, but exercises after? @Fairydell, :bignono: Now after that scolding, you know we really care about you and have been rooting for you to get to a place with no pain. I hope you are resting today with ice and elevating......then maybe tomorrow will be a better day. :ice:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562