THR Fairydell's recovery thread

So glad you are feeling better @Fairydell
I'm also interested in what nerve medicine your doctor prescribed!

There is nothing worse than wanting so much for someone to feel better from a hip replacement surgery that you yourself have benefitted from...and to see them struggle with post surgery issues.
You know I am sending you all the best, my friend!:friends:

@Celle It's a low dose of pregabalin,... 25mg to be taken morning and night. The GP told me to try it for five days. Then if necessary I can double the dosage.

Thanks @Mojo333 I have had a bit of a miserable evening due to the swelling in my leg. It seems to be one thing after another. I no longer have expectations of a decent sleep. If it happens it happens. This has turned into the hip replacement from hell and yet I know I would still have gone through with it. This is temporary but the arthritis wasn't.

You've only just passed the first month, which is usually the hardest.

Within a few weeks, you should start to feel better and you will continue to improve gradually.

Want to wish you a happy one month anniversary @Fairydell
I realize it hasn't been happy though and for that I'm sorry.
Wishing you comfort and relief from the ongoing pain you're suffering.
Sending a warm hug across the pond :console2: I hope today is a good day!

@Fairydell I just realized that you haven't posted since you started on your new nerve block meds Friday. How are you doing? I hope you're finding some relief and getting some much deserved sleep. Give us an update when you feel able. We miss you! :flwrysmile:

Hi @SE Florida and @Layla
On Friday and Saturday I felt like a different person. My mood had lifted enormously and the raw edge had gone from the nerve pain through the day. Unfortunately the night times have been every bit as painful. On Friday night I slept downstairs on the sofa and was able to distract myself with music and internet. Last night we had friends over for a social and I had hoped that the glass of wine combined with nerve blocker would knock me out. Sadly it didn't. My GP told me to try the low dose for five days but if it doesn't help then I can double the dose. Trouble is the low dose is making me feel very spaced out and I dread to think what a higher dose will do. I am not in a good place at the moment.... Keep repeating the mantra... This is temporary this will pass.

I hope what Hoppy Nanny comes true for you @Fairydell since it's only been a couple of days. Maybe they will start kicking in more and you won't have to go double dosage. I hate that spaced out feeling that you mentioned and will rarely take any meds except for usual tylenol or something. It would be great if the pregabalin would help knock you out instead, sleep! Singing the mantra for you now! :fingersx:

@Fairydell , problems with sleeping are part of this recovery. This article explains:
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

However, being kept awake by pain is not right. Usually, it means either you have been doing too much during the daytime, or you are taking insufficient pain medication.
Last night we had friends over for a social and I had hoped that the glass of wine combined with nerve blocker would knock me out. Sadly it didn't.
It's probably too early in your recovery to be entertaining friends and you were probably more active than the ideal.
Did you take any pain medication at bed time, or just the nerve pill?

I'm going to ask @Josephine , our Nurse Director, to advise you. She has many years of experience in orthopaedics.
She'll probably ask you a lot of questions, especially about your medication and your activity. Do try to answer them as fully as possible, so she has all the information she needs, to advise you appropriately.

It's probably too early in your recovery to be entertaining friends and you were probably more active than the ideal.

I literally sat on the sofa and didn't move (other than to go to the bathroom). It was nice to have something to take my mind off the pain. In truth I think I have managed the pain really badly as nothing seemed to touch it. My pain relief got ever stronger without actually giving me any relief. The GP told me that nerve pain is very difficult to cure. I am thoroughly fed up of the whole situation now and desperate for a decent sleep.

Nerve pain takes time to figure out and deal with. I have nerve pain from peripheral neuropathy. It is very intense at times. I have very little experience with hip recovery but I have lots of experience with nerve pain, and a wonderful remedy is cool packs. I do take pregabalin and it helps, but none of the medications for nerve pain seem terribly effective. I have to take other measures, to prevent pain, such as not been my feet too much, and I definitely don't entertain when I'm in a bad period. I put ice packs on my feet or immerse them in cool water. Sometimes compression stockings can help.

Happy Monday :wave: With any luck you're having a good day..
I hope you're able to get some restorative rest this week.
Wishing you comfort as you wait for the meds to bring you relief.
@Fairydell

So sorry you're still having problems with the pain but hopefully the nerve meds will start to kick in soon, they do unfortunately usually take a little while. Sending you gentle hugs and healing, restorative thoughts. Wishing you some much needed sleep.:zzz:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom