THR Fairydell's recovery thread

Fairydell

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Gosh, it seems odd to see that post.. RECOVERY THREAD. It has come around so quickly. I am starting it today as Thursday is the big day for me. I also plan to run a daily diary page on my blog so that I can look back on it and see how long it takes me to get fighting fit.. Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice and kind uplifting friendship that I have found here on BS.

All the best on Thursday. See you on this side soon. I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer to if needed.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks everyone. It can't come soon enough. I am absolutely exhausted as I had a dreadful painful night last night. I feel like a wrung out rag today.

Aww, the worst! You're almost there. Hang on tight.
Get as much rest as you can.
Wishing you comfort :console2:
@Fairydell

Great attitude!

Don’t do what I did and have a big curry the night before the op. Ooops!

Best of luck and the road to a pain free outcome begins!

:hi:So glad to see a recovery thread with your name on it.
You know I will be your biggest cheerleader!:ok:
:hi:So glad to see a recovery thread with your name on it.
You know I will be your biggest cheerleader!:ok:

Bless you, you have been so kind to me right from my very first posting. I really do appreciate all the support you have given me.

Best of luck on Thursday, hope you get a good nights sleep. :sleeep:

Hope your mind is in a good place. Be prepared to say a fond goodbye to your old hip and to welcome in your baby new one.

By the time I got to the hospital I knew it was time even though part of me was still in denial that I needed a hip replacement!

My recovery has been on the slow side but the difference, in less than a year is unbelievable and I am SO glad I got it done. Will be thinking of you tomorrow xx

People here are so kind and I am sure you will get masses of support.

Just realized with the time difference, that you might be done and in your room by the time I am going into surgery. My surgery is at 1:00pm UK time. Sounds quite odd, but knowing someone else is going down the same road as me the same day is helpful. Almost like someone holding your hand. I hope you sleep well tonight :sleep:

I will be keeping you in my thoughts tomorrow and wishing you all the best :flwrysmile:

Sending positive thoughts and healing wishes your way @Fairydell for your surgery tomorrow. I hope you can at least get a bit of rest tonight. Goodbye OA pain!!

@Carriemay60 My surgery should be some time before noon. I have to be at the hospital for 7am but I have no idea what time my operation will take place.. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Have a good sleep tonight and with a bit of luck we can compare notes over the weekend.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks