Fairydell needs advice

Hi Fairydell!

Sorry to hear of your issues. I had to wait over two years and next time will definitely follow Jaycee’s advice about paying for a private consultation prior to an NHS op. My NHS consultations only lasted 10 minutes each and i thank god for bonesmart as I got a lot of very useful info pre-op from here.

My hot water bottle and bath were my best friends pre op. Post op it is ice!

Best of luck and hope you get on the road to recovery very soon.

Perhaps I should stop the long walks and just sit around drinking tea and eating biscuits to stop my joints wearing out...
No ma'am!
Got both of my hips replaced at 53, and now I can walk all day...AND sleep without hip pain.
Recovery wasn't a walk in the park..but gave me my life back for sure!

Dealing with the pain when it effects your sleep is the worst part. I lived with my bad hips for many years so I know what you mean. I would really suffer in cold weather and when my job was working standing on concrete floors all day, rough nights. A hot tub helped a lot along with Ibuprofen. I didn't do much sitting around, I wanted to get my money's worth out of my hips then cash them in for new ones to wear out.

I have started on a regime of proper painkillers. In fairness to the doctor I was only taking them when I was in serious pain. Now I am taking them regularly which has really taken the edge off the pain.. I feel like a different person today. I'm not totally pain free but the grinding agony isn't there any more. Any advice on things I should avoid eating. Someone said that I should avoid acidic food? Oranges and citrus should be avoided? Does this make any difference?

Any advice on things I should avoid eating.
At this stage changing your diet won't really make a difference. Focus on getting that consultation and moving forward with getting that bad hip replaced.

Glad the medication is taking the edge off your pain.

Thanks Jaycee. Which bit of Yorkshire are you from. I am in north Yorkshire

East Riding on the coast.

I'm in Naughty Nunthorpe... :)

Hi Fairydell, I was on NSAIDS for over two years difonac sodium. They helped for a while but in the end the pain got so bad they just didn’t work anymore. If I could have got the op sooner I would have... good luck with your consultant and in making the best decision for you..I am 58 btw and was told by my Consultant that it is more and more common now for people in their 40s and 50s to have hip issues.

It still annoys me when people say I am far too young to have had a hip op!

If you can get it done privately all the better - the waiting list for private in Surrey was 4 weeks as opposed to just under a year with an NHS consultation. I did the latter .

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks