Lounge Doctor

Revision TKR failed knee replacement

jolso58

Country
United States United States
May 2019 i had a TKR of my left knee. when i was in recovery the nurses could not find a pulse in my leff foot they did an ultrasound it showed no blood flow from the knee down.

I was transported to another hospital for emergency vasculor surgery. My popliteal artery was punctured. I developed compartment syndrome and fasciotomy was performed on both sides of my leg from the knee to ankle. I also had a stent placed in the popliteal artery. The surgeon felt there wasn't enough time to do a bypass. I came close to losing my leg. I had 4 surgeries in 5 days. I spent 10 days in the hospital and a week in transitional care.

I had 1 1/2 months of home nursing because I developed an infection in the wound of the fasciotomy. I developed drop foot. I had a procedure to lengthen my achilles tendon for the drop foot. Feb 2020 I started having lots of pain. Because of COVID I was not able to see the surgeon.

May 2020 he took xrays and it showed lucency of the tibia. He did blood work for infection came back normal. i saw him again November 20 he did another xray and also ordered a bone scan. By this time I was having lots of pain. The surgeon did not want to do anything else but to live with the pain. He was afraid to do another surgery.

I decided to get a second opinion and saw a surgeon who specializes in complex revisions. He did a revision Feb 21.

Everything went good after a week no pain. I was going to PT twice a week and making improvements. At the end of April I started have pain again - very sharp pain my motion stopped in my knee the pain is constant. I saw the second surgeon on the 1st of June. He took x-rays and it showed mild lucency of the cement or a fracture of the cement. He also took fluid from my knee to see if there is an infection. I am still waiting for those results. I also have vascular issues in my leg where it swells and goes numb. I see the vascular surgeon every 6 months to make sure the stent is still working.

Has anyone had a revision starting to fail after 2 months if so did they do another revision
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
:welome: to BoneSmart

Goodness you've been in trouble. It lies outside my experience, I'm afraid, but there are others here who can help. And yes, there are people here who've had more than one revision to a knee; but let's hope there's another cause in your case, as it started out OK.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@jolso58 Welcome to BoneSmart! So sorry you have had so many problems with that knee.

As Roy says, we have many members who have needed multiple revisions. I think your first priority would be to get the results of the fluid draw. If there is infection found please make sure an infection control expert is involved in your care. Treating any infection with the right antibiotic is key to getting control of this.

If there is no infection found, I would have a good discussion with your current surgeon. What is their input on why you are having this problem and what is their plan to get you to a pain free state.

Please keep us updated.

Jockette

Country
Hi and Welcome!

Im so sorry you’ve been through so much. :console2:

Please give us exact dates of your surgeries so we can make a signature for you. :flwrysmile:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

OP
OP
J

jolso58

Country
my first one was on May 18th 2019 and the revision on Feb 23 21.

OP
OP
J

jolso58

Country
thank you for the interesting articles

Cjackso21

Country
Hello,
I am so sorry for all of your pain and problems with your knee! Makes mine seem easy! I have had many revisions to my right TKR. The first was due to loosening but was a cementless TKR (done because I was 45) which has a higher incidence of loosening. 2nd knee cap loosened again, third fixed this. But then the next was due to loosening again. At the time they thought it was a Nickel allergy as blood testing showed I had a high reaction to this. My current surgeon believes this was not true as my left TKR is fine and has nickel. The next was another total knee, but I believe this was due to the last revision not being done correctly. I do not believe it was loosening, a bit embarrassing that I am not sure but I implicitly trust my surgeon. This forum found him for me :). Finally my last revision (4 weeks ago) was to change the poly insert spacer to increase its thickness due to loosened ligaments. I hope I am done. I hope you trust your current surgeon. Most of my problems came much later after my revisions. I was also tested for allergies to cement which was negative. I was told when I had my blood tests for Allergies, that only one place at the time (maybe 5 yrs ago?) could test for this. Since then, I am not certain that this testing is accurate since my right has nickel and is still good , but I am not sure about cement allergies. Good luck! Will pray you figure this out and please let us know if they do!

OP
OP
J

jolso58

Country
thank you. i hope to have the other culture come back soon
if it comes back no bacterial growth i will mention to him about metal allergy. in my other i have a pattial with no issues. I see my vasculor surgeon next week for my 6 week checkup for the stent. Im going to ask him if there is a possibility of an infection in the stent behind my knee. i will see my knee dr in July for another set of xrays. my 2nd doctor comes highly recommended so i do trust him. its very frustrating i have had a total of 7 surgeries on the same leg in 2 years
i will keep every posted once i get more info regarding my knee and vasculor issues

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I hope your culture comes back negative, @jolso58 . You and your left knee have been through enough.

in my other i have a partial with no issues.
Please will you tell us the full date of your right knee replacement , so we can add that surgery to your signature for you?
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

OP
OP
J

jolso58

Country
my culture came back negative now just waiting until July 14th for more xrays. has anyone had questionable xrays were there is lucency after 4 months and had lots of pain and decreased ROM if so did you have to have a other revision

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kanee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom