FAI surgery scheduled for 10/02

Kitzilla

Country
United States United States
Hi all!
I don't know if it's appropriate for me to post in this forum since I'm not getting THR, but I am having my hip scoped, cartilage repaired and FAI (Femoro acetabular impingement) issues dealt with. I've been in pain for a year but tried to wait it out. No dice. I'm a horse rider, and it's going to be hard to be out of the saddle for so long... hoping for a swift recovery, but preparing for a long, slow slog.

Are there any helpful recovery tips anyone would like to supply? I already have crutches from a metatarsal fracture-- am I better off with a walker? My dear mother wants to send me one of those "hip replacement kits" with the long grabby stick and the long shoe horn and the sock-putter-onner (sorry-- don't know the technical terms! :heehee:)... Are those items useful? Any other home/bed prep I should do? I'm really dreading the whole thing, but my daily life is suffering (to say nothing about my horse life!) so it's onwards and upwards, I hope!

I had surgery for FAI - didn't have a cartilage problem, just extra bone growth that got shaved down on both the pincer and cam of my left hip joint. Root issue is osteoarthritis, though, so ended up with 2 THR's anyway :)

Doctors restrictions can vary, but for me I only had 1 major restriction. That leg had to be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks, so crutches instead of a walker. I didn't really need anything from the traditional THR tool kit that I ended up using later. It was just a matter of taking it easy and not going overboard. I did have a shower chair that I used once - found I felt more at risk of slipping and falling when trying to stand up than I did just standing through a shower.

Your surgeon may think differently, so be sure to ask. Someone here might be able to offer advice on how to deal with any specific restrictions you may get.

To be honest - but not to scare you away from any procedure - I found the THR recovery, even with more restrictions, to be "easier" because I could still walk around, even if just slowly and carefully. Crutches are the worst , and 6 weeks can feel like an eternity :hissy:

Hope your surgery goes great!

@Kitzilla I tried to have the surgery you are having, but I had too much cartilage gone. I am also cam impinged. My arthroscopic told me, I might feel better for 3 or 4 weeks and then be no better off. Glad you caught your issues earlier, than I did.
I have had a hairline fractured and swollen/twisted ankle which necessitated crutches for 6 weeks. I will say I found it got easier as I became more accustomed to using them. I was in my early 50s. I became pretty fast with them and they did not prevent me from getting out of the house, as time went on. A crossover bag was very useful.
Good luck. I hope you have a full recovery and can ride again.

Thank you both @VSlowLife and @dlp! My foot fracture was incredibly slow to heal due to my osteopenia, so I was 100% non-weight-bearing for over 12 weeks-- 6 more weeks won't kill me. I had a cortisone injection last month, but it really didn't provide much relief, nor do NSAIDs. MRI suggests a moderate tear, but orthopedist says he doesn't see any arthritis yet and the joint space "looks good", but on some horse forums I'm on, a few people have had this surgery and had it fail, leading to THR. All of those people said they wish they could have just started with THR-- So I guess I'm concerned about the possibility that I'll go through all of this and still end up having to go through THR... though people on those forums said they found the THR recovery time and process to be much shorter and easier than the arthroscopic procedure. My orthopedist still thinks this is the better option for me at the moment, so fingers are crossed.

You’re welcome. It sounds like you are doing your research and you have faith in your surgeon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562