• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[HIP ARTHROSCOPY] Extreme groin pain

fitzmom3

Country
United States United States
I am 50 years old.

I had surgery 5/15/19 for labrum tear and impingement. I have a shallow hip joint so the femur head was shaved. There is some evidence of cartilage damage in the joint and an onset of osteoarthritis.

Taking Tylenol and meloxicam.

Icing 3-4 times for 20 minutes per day.

I was doing great. I was doing simple strengthening exercises at PT 2 times per week. I used crutches 4 weeks for partial weight bearing. Week 5 started using 1 crutch. Started weight bearing exercises. Was allowed to take 4-5 steps without crutches in the kitchen and bathroom.

One evening while reaching down to close the dishwasher door I felt a pop. It was not painful, it just felt odd. I had the same issue a few more times over a couple of days. Following the for pop I notice a twinge of pain in the groin. Then stiffness in the outer thigh. Monday therapy was painful in the groin while doing weight bearing exercises. Pain increased from a little pinch to pain above a 6 when even trying to walk. I am back to using both crutches. I am thinking oh my what have I done. This hurts more than before the surgery.

Saw the doctor for 6 weeks visit. He says it could take 9 months to feel no pain. He doesn’t think anything is torn again. He really had no explanation except I have inflamed the hip. I am to stop PT for 15 days. I will visit with the doctor again in 6 weeks.

Before the surgery I had pain in the groin. Over a two year period the pain increased from “I did too much today” to hurting every single day. I had so much pain I could not roll over in bed and my lower back in L4&5 hurt almost non stop. Surgery relieved all of these issues until the mid 5 week mark. Now the groin pain is very intense when I walk.

I am looking for some kind of hope and advise from this forum. I was hoping to be returning to some kind of normal activity. Now I am back on two crutches with extreme groin pain with each step. I feel like I can do no exercises to help strengthen my hip.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@fitzmom3 Welcome to BoneSmart. I agree with your surgeon - 9 months to one year before you are completely pain free. But the first thing I would do is stop any exercises and increase your icing sessions to 45-60 several times per day.

Since you were on limited weight bearing you will have a longer recovery.

I'll give you our recovery guidelines. They refer to THR but your recovery is very similar.

Please let us know how you are feeling once after resting.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Rdwolfe94

Country
@fitzmom3 I had the hip arthroscopy on 10/18/18. My situation is different that yours because my surgery was unsuccessful as they could not get into my join to repair my labrum. However, they shaved down bone (Cam and Pincer impingements). Unfortunately, I am scheduled for a hip replacement on 08/07/19. The Dr. kept telling me it was nothing. They will probably make you wait awhile but I had a MRI (By and independent DR.) done at the six month mark and my labrum was still torn and showed more damage in my hip such as my labrum being shaved to almost nothing. I am not a DR. but I developed trochanteric bursitis right after coming off my crutches at 27 days. I am wondering if that might be your outer thigh pain. I am now 2 weeks shy of 9 months and my pain has continued to worsen since my scope. Good luck with everything. Let me know if you have any questions.

Pumpkln

Country
A friend of mine had a similar experience after impingement repair, she also had a little arthritis in her joint. Eventually she had enough and had a THR. She is happy with her decision and is now pain free.
Suggest you request an MRI as Rdwolfe94 has suggested.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have a shallow hip joint so the femur head was shaved. There is some evidence of cartilage damage in the joint and an onset of osteoarthritis.
Then in my opinion, you are in need of a hip replacement. Has anyone suggested that to you?

And please don't believe anyone that says you are "too young" for a hip replacement because you're not! We have many, many members here in the 40s and even 30s who need and have had a THR. We even have teenagers! Teenage hip replacements

sandiegomom

Country
Hello, @fitzmom3 -- i am now 45, I had my hip replaced at 40 years, I had similar experience to you -- essentially a failed hip scope. If you'd like to dm me to discuss further, I'd be happy to. My bottom line is, it's very hard to believe you may need a hip replacement but it would sound to me (and I think Josephine agrees) you need one. So sorry to hear!

OP
OP
F

fitzmom3

Country
Thank you. I appreciate your note. Not sure how this is going to turn out.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Paisleydimples
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom