THR Tweb's Hip Recovery

I struggle with aches and pains at night, but I also have them during the day. I'm a little over 6 months after a hip replacement and had some complications with nerve damage. I am taking Layla's approach, trying to pay attention to what I am doing during the day to see if I can find a correlation. I know that I have been chasing aches and pains around since my surgery and I expect they will continue as my body gets adjusted.

10&1/2 months post op of RIGHT THR. Have been having a lot of issues with the other hip but different than it was with arthritic hip that was replaced. Anyway I have been using my massage gun a couple times a day targeting TFL and psoas areas and it seems to be resolving some. I plan to have my surgeon check this hip when I go back for 1 year follow up.

You probably want to contact your OS before you go see him @Tweb so he can have you do x-rays of that hip before your appointment. Might save you a second trip.

Very good progress your coming along well and it’s only a matter of time when this will be a lost memory.
6 months is the starting point of long term healing. Soft tissue will heal in time. Some take over a year to resolve and some lil pains seem to be the norm . Just take it slower , rest relax and walk in pool to improve muscle and Ice is important as much as possible as well as anti inflammatory meds. The trick is to rest on regular intervals not just when it hurts.
I have a 23 year old hip replacement that has given me a good quality of life for many years and still going. You to will have a better quality of life by summer... also just walk and remember bottom squeezes the best to strengthen muscles And lower back pain.

Who in this hip replacement thread is about a year or beyond their surgery?

@Tweb There are quite a few folks around who had hip replacement a year or more ago - just look at the signature under a post to see when poster had that surgery. I had both hips replaced 9_ years ago.

Do you have questions or problems?

I have my one year follow up next week. Operated hip is feeling great but other side is still giving me trouble. I plan to discuss with the surgeon. Mostly is bothersome with impact activities like tennis or aerobic workouts. Generally spinning classes and yoga help. So many people have reminded me that I should be patient and allow a full year and now that I’m nearly there just feeling frustrated.

I'm over a year on one and over 3 on the other. Never had a one year follow up visit but I do get contacted by email every anniversary. I knew I needed 2 going in and waited a while for my second.

@Tweb Do talk to your surgeon about the other hip! It is not at all unusual for folks who have had one hip replaced to find that the other hip also deteriorates and needs replacing. Mine were both really bad at the same time so that's why I had both done at once.

Hi @Tweb,

I'm almost 11 months out and, sorry to say, am having trouble with my non- surgical hip, too. Sigh. The surgical hip is coming along, although not 100 percent yet.

I had a complication during surgery where my femoral nerve was damaged, so my recovery has been slower than it might have been otherwise. I'm definitely not back where I was before the surgery and wish my other hip would stop hurting so I could really see what I can do! I feel your frustration. Definitely talk to your surgeon.

So, you mention yoga. What kind of yoga do you practice? I have a couple of poses that are still giving me trouble on my surgical side. I can't turn my knee out, so I have a very lopsided Reclined Bound Angle pose, a Tree pose where my knee points almost forward, and am having additional trouble in the Warrior poses when my surgical leg is in the back. How are you doing on those? I had an anterior approach for my surgery, which might make a difference.

@Schaargi i also had anterior approach. I actually teach yoga (vinyasa) but am a rookie. Up until about a month ago I had to use blocks under my outer knees for Sukasana. Reclined bound angle isn’t very comfortable either. I must modify pigeon and stay on my palms. Warrior 1 actually usually helps loosen things up- I widen my stance out a little on that. I was also an indoor cycling instructor prior to the surgery but now I just sub for the various instructors at our studio.

Thanks @Tweb!!

I am just trying to figure out if this inability to turn my leg out when I'm standing or lying down is due to my implant, the approach, or if there is hope that I will be able to do these poses. I'm so lopsided!

I have practiced vinyasa in the past but am not near being ready for that now. Oddly, I'm fine in Sukasana. It's difficult to have a satisfying practice without Warrior, especially.

So, you are saying there's hope.. I just need to get my formerly "good" hip calmed down!I hope that happens for you, too!

@Schaargi good luck! Keep me posted and hope you can get back to your normal yoga practice soon!

Update: surgeon said left hip does have some arthritis but considering my activity level he thinks I’m doing way more than the benefit I would get from PT. Said for my activity level I should really allow myself as much two years to be fully recovered from the right THR. And that I should give myself permission to take NSAID’s and analgesic’s (which my stubborn self has mostly resisted). So I will continued to forge ahead and practice patience with my body and mind. Namaste!

Hi @Schaargi

I was wondering how you’re doing? I hope you were able to check out that website link I sent you. FYI my surgeon assured me I’m doing well and he said I’m asking a lot of my hips so to not be so hard on myself.

Hi @Tweb

That website is great. Thanks! I like the way they give many options for poses depending on your issues.

How is your groin pain on the non-surgical side?

Hi @Schaargi !

Yes I really like it. I bought the book (same name) that was co-authored by them. It’s actually doing somewhat better. I made an “unofficial visit “ to the PTA at my PT office who worked with me leading up to the surgery and he gave me a couple of other suggestions of things to add to my twice daily stretches I was already doing to target it and strengthen my hips and I believe that has helped. How are you doing??

:wave:Hey...you just passed a milestone.
Happy One Year Anniversary, Tweb. I’m betting your second year will be even better! :SUNsmile:
Enjoy the weekend.
@Tweb

Hi @Tweb !

I'm glad your groin pain is better and your 1-year appointment went well. I'll be looking at your thread for updates, as you are just a month ahead of me.

I'm doing pretty well, although my non-surgical leg has worsened. I had an MRI done, which shows labral tearing. Here's my thread that was my recovery thread for the left leg and is turning into my pre-op thread for my other leg! https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/nerve-damage-conquered-other-hip-hurts.60864/post-1479844

Hey everyone! Do any of you find you are not able to sleep on the side of your replaced hip? It’s been 14 months since my surgery and if I lay on that side for too long I start to get achy. What do people do who have had both of them replaced? I was wondering if there is some sort of sleep aid to help with that? Like maybe a donut shaped foam type thing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom