THR Exercise progression

Hi @Chrismcd
Sorry you are still feeling nauseous. My appetite was off, not exactly nauseated just Bleh..but medication was most likely culprit. I had to make sure I had something on my stomach prior to meds or I could become nauseous.
These are still very early days so the energy drain is very prominent, hence the malaise.
Here's the article left on your recovery guidelines.

I know these first weeks are tough, but all should begin improving soon. I've been where you are and it is not easy.
Keep the faith...all temporary, friend.

The only habit forming is hydramorphone. Many comments regarding use “as needed”, but I don’t know what “needed” looks like.

Hi there @Chrismcd.
I really didn't have much pain beyond the "regular, expected post-op pain) so I gradually decreased the use of opioids I was taking and ended up on Tylenol Arthritis pills 2x2 pills twice a day only.
Since you are taking 1 mg hydromorphone 6 x a day... an option here for you is to skip every second dosage and see how it goes (Just my two cents - not a medical advice :) )
By now, I hope you did consult your OS and he may have suggested his approach.

Hi there
I did check with OS and he wanted me to continue- but I really have minor if any pain, like you. The other night I had an incident, fainted and thankfully caught by my husband. So we checked it all out and the ER doctor just said there was an event that caused my BP to drop. So I am only taking morphine at night now and likely will stop that too. No need!

Hi @Chrismcd
Sorry you are still feeling nauseous. My appetite was off, not exactly nauseated just Bleh..but medication was most likely culprit. I had to make sure I had something on my stomach prior to meds or I could become nauseous.
These are still very early days so the energy drain is very prominent, hence the malaise.
Here's the article left on your recovery guidelines.

I know these first weeks are tough, but all should begin improving soon. I've been where you are and it is not easy.
Keep the faith...all temporary, friend.
This is perfect! Thank you, that helps!

It seems very dramatic at my house right now. It is day 11 post op, and seem to be attracting all kinds of stuff! After our wonderful sharing of our partners and how much they do for us, my husband(who is living, giving, and kind) is so sick with the worst cold I have ever seen on him. Normally robust, he is almost comatose. Tonight I tried to make dinner which was a comedy sketch for sure, but maybe not so much. Anyway, I am now concerned that he could get much more sick trying to take care of me. All of our friends/neighbours are away (November in Whistler) or don’t live nearby. I have two friends I can try, for the weekend maybe, and I have some frozen soups, but we went through most of it when I first came home. My dog, well she is now in a kennel. The puppy care folks are fabulous and they drove 30 minutes to pick her up at our home...no one can drive! Isolated in the mountains, they will find us frozen under the snow when it starts to thaw! Must laugh...and just thought to share about how things can become very interesting in a hurry! What a week!

Oh my stars...poor hubby, poor you.
:doh:
What horrid timing.
I can only imagine if it were me...Don't know whether to try and nurse him back to health or quarantine him.:scary:
I do hope you can solicit some help...at least someone to collect some quick fix foods, medication for hubby, and Lysol!
It seems when we think we have it all settled out, life says "just to make it interesting...":groan:

Sending healing hugs for you and DH.

Thank you for commiserating and your support. But today he seems to be better and is now making me tea. I have my home made electrolytes and bone broth, making myself uncomfortably warm to sweat, and staying away from vitamin C! I tell myself, “well it won’t be my last cold” even so. Lysol! Good idea. He wore a surgical mask for a part of the day Thursday...:)
Last night I really was starting to panic and thinking the worst. But the panic was temporary, I guess we can get worried when things aren’t working out smoothly, but the main thing is, it will change.

I am so relieved he is better. I finally had the nerve to ask a friend to travel up here for a few days, but now he is on the other side of this thing. Food is one of my passions.....

Glad to hear your husband is feeling better. I almost poisoned mine with Lysol when he got a tummy bug shortly after my surgery :heehee:
These indeed are early days and recovery is not a straight line.
Hope today is a good day.:SUNsmile:

Oh no, poor hubs getting sick when he's supposed to be playing Nurse. Actually....poor you! Thankfully he's doing better and things are returning to normal. Hopefully by the end of the weekend you'll both be feeling a little stronger.
Wishing you a relaxing Saturday!
@Chrismcd

Actually he seems to have turned the corner. In the meantime, I found a restaurant delivery service and felt better about being fed, even if my appetite is non existent, I agree with Mojo333 that food and nutrition is critical. But, didn’t need it, my man is back, or more so anyway.
Today is day 12 post op and I am off morphine for two days now. (Really really hoping to have/want a glass of wine, but not til that stuff is out of my system) A bit of stinging and aching in surgical site, and some muscle twinges in my back, but otherwise stronger every day. I am climbing a flight of stairs with one crutch and stair railings, 3 x a day. I do my walking with both crutches to try to simulate good gait. But no can do without a crutch. If muscle twinge, I head to bed for a rest. Independent in general sense but still cringe at the thought of putting a pair of jeans on. Still not really able to stand long enough to make any food. Most comfortable position is lying my lazy bones up in bed! Ahhhhh

The last few days, day 13 and 14 post op, I suddenly had pain in the groin area with some swelling and tenderness. It seemed a sore tendon on the pubic bone area on the same side as THR. So I rested, iced, took it easy. Then I noticed jabs of pain while at rest. Lying quietly and then ouch and ouch. Zaps. I will ask OS tomorrow as I get my staples out, but also wondered what it would feel like if I had not observed 90 degree? Sometimes it looks like I am at 90 degrees but it feels fine so I don’t worry as much. But maybe I did something?

:wave: Two weeks out!
Good to hear you are getting your staples out today and will see your OS.
I can tell you that I also had groin pain and those "out of the blue" zaps...fairly common complaint with new hippys so I don't think you have done anything to cause this.
If you are doing exercises like leg lifts..its easy to strain that area so I left off of anything that strained that area.
All very normal and easy for these new pains to make you wonder...
A reassuring visit to my surgeon always made me feel better!

Happy to report that surgeon is very pleased with progress, no doubt due to the excellent guidance by all here. Down to one crutch and am forgetting it at times, go a step and realize...but am close, so close.
Tomorrow I will attempt to drive. LTHR so okay to drive an automatic I think. Anyway, 1.5 hours to Vancouver and 1.5 hours home later. This is for work photos, and I love the team I work with and my boss, so it is worth the effort!

@Chrismcd has your surgeon cleared you to drive yet? You're just barely past 2 weeks and are you going to be driving the 1.5 hours each way? That would be an awful lot for your first time out. Hopefully someone else is driving that distance.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back