THR Exercise progression

Thank you @Eman85 . I had found this, too. I have a first aid kit in my car normally, and will keep a little skin cleanser and antibiotic packets in my purse and a few band aids. Same with my pouch which carries my phone when I am in my yard.

@Eman85 .... thank you for the link. I've added it to one of our Library articles on infection even though the interview was 4 years ago, it has some excellent information. Dr. Padget and HSS are well-respected in this area.

If you find links like this in the future, it would be a good idea to send them to one or more staff members rather than posting them in your thread. I wouldn't want good links like this to get missed if our staff didn't happen to see the post.

Thanks....we're always on the lookout for good supporting material.

Thank you @Eman85 . I had found this, too. I have a first aid kit in my car normally, and will keep a little skin cleanser and antibiotic packets in my purse and a few band aids. Same with my pouch which carries my phone when I am in my yard.

I want to be as organized as VSlowLife when I grow up. :yes:

I hope you are feeling better today @Chrismcd and don't have an ear infection. I'm sorry for the loss your community is suffering.
Wishing you comfort.

:loll:
I want to be as organized as VSlowLife when I grow up. :yes:

When your dad was a maintainability and reliability engineer, you learn to be prepared to fix things. You gave me a great big chuckle for the day! Thank you!

Speaking of fixing things, @Chrismcd I hope your ear infection has been well taken care of and you are continuing to progress in your abilities.

Here’s what I found ... after pointing out the disagreements between years and between AAOS and ADA over the 20 plus years ... and recently “discussing” this with my dentist and oral surgeon ...

The study quoted by most - https://www.aaos.org/uploadedFiles/...th-orthopaedic-implants-dental-procedures.pdf

NEJM (Mass Medical) summary -

And the “calculator” to assess what your dentist should be assessing -

Last edited:
Thank you for this article! Very helpful. And excellent instruction if even a small cut going forward. I will be taking 4 amoxicillin before dental work and hope no major dental for 2 years. I recommend this reading for all THR folks.

Chris,

I took away that no prophylactic antibiotics were needed unless there were extenuating circumstances, like diabetes.

Did I read this wrong?

Last edited:
Hi Forum-user, sorry for the delay, your question popped up after I posted above. Maybe I read it wrong, which is entirely possible! My physio today suggested that there is a dangerous period for cuts etc and that time is behind me at week 11. A lot of conflicting information and perhaps defer to dentist and surgeon. Good to be aware of the issue though.

Well, I have been fighting sinusitis for about three weeks. My GP gave me the cortisone nasal spray which has helped, and a RX for Amoxicillin if it got any worse (she was going away). That was 2 weeks ago. Everything seemed to calm down until I suddenly took a turn - swollen glands, itchy ears and some coloured phlegm (but not much). No fever. Now I am in a quandary- is it still just a cold and sinus and will run it’s course or is it an infection? If it is a mild infection, I know this body can beat it without antibiotics except I worry about this hip. Do I take the dreaded antibiotics? How sensitive do I need to be about this kind of thing?

Highly unlikely this or any respiratory infections will effect your hip. I
My GP gave me the cortisone nasal spray which has helped, and a RX for Amoxicillin if it got any worse (she was going away).
Your GP gave you the Amoxicillin if you took a turn for the worse, which you have.

So if respiratory illness then I can let it run it’s course without antibiotics? I am prepared for antibiotics with dentist, as above, and would prefer to let this go if no hip effect.

If you have a respiratory illness caused by a virus there is no need for antibiotics. If you have a bacterial respiratory illness, then antibiotics can help.
Will it effect your hip, unlikely, but not impossible.
If you are concerned go to walk in clinic, or call who ever is filling in for your MD while they are away.

With my first THR I caught a cold and ended up with a killer sinus infection. I mean a killer that hurt in my teeth to my lower jaw! Two rounds of antibiotics from my GP. My GP and OS weren't very concerned about it settling in my hip, I was terrified. Didn't seem to have any effect.

That is helpful. At least I don’t feel neurotic about being terrified. I am watching the incision like a hawk, as one tiny hole took forever to seal up, and it is red and a bit sore to the touch. So “terrified” describes it perfectly. I am watching the anxiety and saying “it’s ok, this is normal, everything will be fine even if it isn’t what I want....I won’t die, just breathe..” maybe Terror will now subside. I am sorry about your sinus infection even though it is illustrative for others.

Last night, some seeping and pus (volume of about half of little finger nail) from a small corner of the incision. Hydrogen peroxide and polysporin. Today the incision is wet but clear. I sent a note to OS. I guess not a day too soon for antibiotics!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Tuuli
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom