PKR Exercise & Gym Classes etc after Patello-Femoral Replacement

gothgirl1

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, Thanks for letting me join although I have been coming here for tips since before and after my operation thanks to a friends recommendation. I am now 4 months post op, I asked my consultant about when could I do gym but he seemed to say no to most of it permanently apart from swimming cross trainer :( I know he wants my replacement to last but could he be too stringent? Has anyone been told different or been able to get back to certain gym stuff with no issues even if 1 year after op?

I think the only restriction I was given was things like jumping and as I recall, playing basketball. Not that I was likely to be doing either. I think the idea was to not put excessive strain on the knee.

Mine is ok with most things even running in time .. Only thing he said never to do would be squash.

Has anyone been told different or been able to get back to certain gym stuff with no issues even if 1 year after op?
Before we advise you perhaps you could define what you consider to be "gym stuff"?

What was the date of your PKR and which knee. I'll put the information in your signature for you.

Before we advise you perhaps you could define what you consider to be "gym stuff"?

What was the date of your PKR and which knee. I'll put the information in your signature for you.

Hi Jaycey, ok it is my left knee and it was done on 8 April 2019.

As for the gym stuff well anything really i used to do zumba or dance related classes. I totally understand that running is out and of course Les Mills style classes but I would hate not to be able to keep fit or destress anymore. My consultant said swimming and cross trainer, well I am not a good swimmer and my gym does not do many aqua exercise classes only deep water. Feeling very sad. I also used to do charity walks or a hike for charity and he was in debate with that and only agreed as a one off. It just seemed tough. I will try my physio with the same question whilst I am still under the physio I guess.

I found walking on the padded gym floor a good transition after my first PKR in April 2018(carried the cane to keep the clueless from walking into me). Transitioned later to treadmill.

Wearing an Aquajogger belt (aquajogger.com and sold in stores and other places online—best design; supports the back; I bought mine in 1988!) allows you to jog, run, walk, bike, ski in the water and/or makes you a little lighter on your feet if walking on the pool floor. This was invented for Joan Benoit so she could keep training for the Olympics marathon after knee surgery. She went on to win the gold!
Personally, I think Zumba is too twisty for the stressed ligaments, tendons, etc, until (if ever) well past the recovery period. Why take the risk?

Thanks for the details of your surgery.

Obviously you can't return to zumba, etc just out of surgery. Patience my friend. Listen to that knee. It will let you know when it's time to try more aggressive activities. Meanwhile walking is the best exercise and not to excess.

@Jaycey I understand but my question was to my consultant when can I. I know not yet of course I need to recover from op but he was saying never and sounds very stringent I have a work colleague who has had partial replacements she does anything from running to tough mudder. Not that I would ever do any of those once I was recovered I just wondered if I am ever going to be able to do some of the dance exercise I used to do. Or any gym class. Agreed though recovery first and I know I am not there yet. Thanks everyone.

Here is an article about what some people do after recovery.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/stories-of-amazing-knee-recoveries.41/

I see that you haven’t been given our Recovery Guidelines, everyone gets a copy.

Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@Jaycey Btw Thanks for the signature update but it was for a patello femoral it is a partial replacement (kneecap).

Thanks for doing this.

I have a Patellofemoral also. I’m sorry to say mine has not gone well. How is yours doing?

There’s a link to my thread in my signature, in case your interested. No problem if you’re not, it’s very long! :heehee:

Well, at five months post TKR , I joined a group tour and hiked in the French and Swiss alps. My OS gave me the go ahead after my three month checkup. I had no problems, although I hiked a lot more thoughtfully than before the surgery. I now hike a few miles every week with a local group and do three Pilates reformer classes every week. My surgery was without complications and I was in good shape prior to it. I’m careful about what I do and, if it hurts I don’t do it. Good luck with your recovery.

Years ago, when I realized I had inherited my father’s osteoarthritis and it was present in both knees, I started paying more attention to references to knee surgeries.
I saw an interview with Angela Lansbury, Broadway, movie, and tv star, famous also as a dancer, then in her mid 80s. She described her planned replacement of both hips and both knees, done one at a time, five years apart, beginning at age 55. She said she did this so she could continue dancing.

Also, Jane Fonda had a knee, a hip, and a thumb replaced.

I have a Patellofemoral also. I’m sorry to say mine has not gone well. How is yours doing?

There’s a link to my thread in my signature, in case your interested. No problem if you’re not, it’s very long! :heehee:

No worries I had a read I understand. It was difficult to rehab but I am getting there and am ok just about to work full time hours from staged return. I had a very good physio which really helps I think. My consultant is great too, he has just done another xray to see how I am getting on and I trust him 100% I am happy I have now come to bonesmart initially I kept away as it seemed to have lots of "horror or upsetting" stories but now it is the best play to come.

Thanks for everyone's tips i especially love the Angela Lansbury one :)

I am on PKR number 2. After #1, I returned to slow running, gym workouts with lighter weights on lower body. Drs. blessing on gym, Dr. was aware of my running and monitoring.

This is an interesting set of posts as I was going to ask @stiffkneeNC actually as I had a partial knee replacement in April, it was just my kneecap done. However I am still getting this tight knee thing seems more so since it has got colder any idea, not as bad I guess as in earlier months but it is there nevertheless. As I am now 8 months I do hope my knee is ok and that I haven't done anything wrong especially as my allotted physio sessions have ended apart from me doing them at home.

You're limping because your knee can't straighten fully yet. That's all.

The best way to help with that is to slightly increase the length of your stride as you walk, so that your leg is stretched gently with each step you take. Try to walk with a heel -> toe stride, as shown in this picture;

walking heel toe.jpg

Attachments

• heel-toe-gait.jpg
    heel-toe-gait.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member