Excited for surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

swmiller

Just came across this neat site; I tried to put my surgeries in signature, but appears I have to have 5 posts first?? So I'll use this thread as an introduction. I'm having a Conforms iduo implanted on December13th in Boston with Dr. Tom Minas. He actually did a successful tibial osteotomy 12 years ago that has now collapsed. All my issues began when I was in high school and @ the Cleveland Clinic they removed my ENTIRE meniscus in '79. An avid athlete, my traumatic osteoarthritis was diagnosed in college, with a second surgery and was then told to stop running. I'm a little odd, as I find the wonders and advancement of medicine, surgery and research truly fascinating and I have benefitted from these advances. With that said, I'm actually excited and looking forward to my surgery. Just hoping mother nature cooperates and doesn't send a Noreaster that week!

I looked forward to mine as well! We seem to be an odd rare breed:biggrin:

Anyway, a warm welcome to Bonesmart

I just found this site as well. I'm having TKR Dec 12 in Dallas. Dr. Kurt Rathjen. 60 yr old male with old football knee that's finally gone. Had all the shots, all the therapy and got an extra couple of years out of it. Now it's time.
Good luck with your surgery.

Best of luck to you as well! I've had 4, this will be 5 surgeries on my left knee. Only one was unsuccessful and that's when I had the tibial osteotomy. Tired of the chronic stiffness and pain!

Best of luck to you! Your surgery is much more complex than mine! Wishing you a successful surgery and a good recovery.

I would definitely agree with rare! Thanks for the warm welcome. Over the years, I've actually come to realize I must be lacking some pain receptors. I have actually never taken any pain meds after surgery. My favorable recovery experiences help to make each new surgery positive. Finding the right surgeon helps too! I was told 13 years ago, I needed a TKR, but finding the right surgeon, along with scientific advancements has helped to put off the inevitable

Welcome to BoneSmart and I'll be looking forward to hearing how you do. I don't have a date scheduled for my bilateral, but I'm sure it will be after 1st part of year. You will find so much useful information here.

Thanks for the welcome! I also have a good friend with AVN whose had 2 hips, 2 knees and has had to drastically change her lifestyle for her ankle; currently only option fusing; hoping the science advances to help her in the future!

Good luck on your upcoming surgery, we will be thinking bout you. What is avn?

Thank you for letting me know, i have heard of that before, but not the accronym:DOH:

Welcome swmiller! So glad you joined us. No long until your day. I hope you stick with us through your journey.

You sure are; I'm looking forward to looking backward to mine...

:biggrin:

Try to remember the procedure doesn't hurt, that the happy juice you get makes you smile all the way, and when you wake up you feel euphoric. Keep the pain meds right and you'll not have any issues to worry about. And the first time you stand on the new joint (day 2) and realise it works without grinding and pain is a moment you never forget.

Worry about the recovery period later on, when you get home.

So it's good all the way:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Get your concious mind to be your ally, not your enemy:wink1:

Try to remember the procedure doesn't hurt, that the happy juice you get makes you smile all the way, and when you wake up you feel euphoric. Keep the pain meds right and you'll not have any issues to worry about. And the first time you stand on the new joint (day 2) and realise it works without grinding and pain is a moment you never forget.
Good advice which my conscious mind knows well; it's the couple of hours, and the few minutes, before surgery where I'll be a veg. It's always that way for me.
Worry about the recovery period later on, when you get home.
Not really worried about that, I will be in control (sort of).
Get your concious mind to be your ally, not your enemy:wink1:
Indeed, I have been repeating a mantra in my head (and out loud) much like your opening sentences. It works, too.

Up on day 1, apparently! As you say, I can't wait for that 'hey this is gonna work' moment.

You will have had the happy juice in the ward, well before the last few minutes when they arrive with the wagon. I joked all the way down with the porter.

Take a good rivetting book for the last couple of hours

Hi, swmiller and snc915 -

Welcome to this forum! I have found the information and discussions to be extremely useful. I can't say I was looking forward to the surgery, but I am an engineer (systems engineering) and techno geek, so I found the whole process to be totally fascinating. I sent my co-workers a copy of my post-surgery x-rays showing the bionic parts and got lots of comments back ("only an engineer would think about sharing x-rays and the specifications of the parts"). :hysterical:

I agree with Tykey - when I walked using my new knee for the first time, I was in tears, but not from pain. They were tears of joy because that horrid bone-on-bone grinding and arithritic pain had vanished!

Good luck and Godspeed to you and to Roy on your upcoming surgeries. Roy, it will be over with before you know it!

Welcome Swmiller,

I am having a RTKR on Jan 13th and will have the other knee done shortly afterwards. I understand and can relate to your excitement. We wouldn't even consider doing this if we didn't have HOPE.

I have 2 artificial hips that work great. I got through that and I know I will get thru this.

Welcome to the community! THIS, more than anything else has helped me with my positive attitude. Keep in touch:thumb:

Thanks for the welcome! I also have a good friend with AVN whose had 2 hips, 2 knees and has had to drastically change her lifestyle for her ankle; currently only option fusing; hoping the science advances to help her in the future!

So I will be like your friend shortly with the 2 hips and 2 knees. I sure hope it stops there. I have a lot of pain in one of my shoulders as well. I'm sure she hopes it stops for herself as well.

Welcome, newbies! Good to have you on the forum. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks