Lounge Doctor

THR Exactly 1 month today

Golfnut186946

Country
United States United States
I'm 75 in good shape according to my doctors and looking to compare where I am post surgery after 1 month with folks similar in age. I know doctors say recovery is different for everyone but there has to be similar recovery after 1 month. My surgery was posterior and don't know if that makes a difference??
Please share your recovery..

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hello and :welome:Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery! Thanks for joining us.

Please leave your exact date and which hip you had replaced below and we’ll create a signature reflecting that info. If you’ll notice, each of us has a signature that shows up on the bottom left each time we post. You’ll find it helpful to see how far along each member is while visiting their thread. Once we have your date, we can add you to the team thread for that month, which will help you identify those that experienced THR within the same time frame as you.

You’re right, we’re advised not to compare recoveries, but it’s difficult not to. This recovery can take a full year, even up to two years for some. I experienced Posterior approach with my surgery and don’t feel my recovery was any easier, or more difficult than those recovering along with me.

I‘ll leave our Recovery Guidelines as you’re still early enough in your healing journey that you may find the articles beneficial. Please stop back often, we’d love to follow your progress.
Happy One Month Anniversary!

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Welcome! Age isn't really a factor in recovery. It's all about the skill of the surgeon and how you personally react to the procedure. Approach isn't really a factor either.

My first THR was posterior and my recovery took over one year. This was mainly due to limping around for 3 years + pre-op. Waiting too long takes its toll!

DancerHips

Country
@Golfnut186946
Congrats on this milestone! I am about 10 years younger but after being in pretty decent shape (had been doing ballet, then swimming as the hip got worse) I had gotten pretty out of shape during the pandemic. (My resting heart rate even went ffrom 63 too 68/69 over the year plus.) I looked back on my recovery thread and it seemed that about 1 month was the point where life was starting to get more normal. I was walking a slowish mile with a cane--and importantly for me, but especially to my husband :loveshwr:, I had started doing most of the cooking again (he's always done cleanup). This meant my energy was better for dealing with the previous mind-numbing boredom, though I'd still crash at times and had problems sleeping.

I found it helpful to do searches on terms like "1 month hip" to get a sense of the range of situations at various recovery points. It was interesting that one person might do well in one area and badly in another while a second would be the exact opposite.

Good luck in your continued recovery!

Spex10

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
At only five days out I can only dream of being a month out! However, now I've sort of recovered a bit from being pushed out of hospital, what felt like too soon, I'm discovering ways and means of doing things and dealing with the problems arising from not being very mobile or flexible.
I hope you continue onwards and upwards!

Eman85

supremo
Country
Doctors aren't the only ones that say recovery is different for everyone, those of us that have had this done can tell you. I've had 2 and I can say both hips were different, same OS same body, same approach posterior.
It's been a while since I was 1 month post op but I wasn't doing much. I would drive to the park and walk the track with my cane daily and or the big store and walk laps in it.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hi again,
When you have a minute, we ask that you please share your exact surgery date and which hip was replaced so we‘re able to create your signature.

For now it’s noted as June 2021 until we get a firm date to edit the info.

While your thread title as of yesterday states you’re “exactly one month today” June only has 30 days and July has 31, as you know, so it’s a tad confusing since you posted this info on the 31st. Unless you are counting weeks, as opposed to days of the month?
We’d appreciate the clarification when you have time.
Thanks and Happy Sunday to you! :SUNsmile:
@Golfnut186946

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Caidly
Recent bookmarks