THR Evi’s Recovery

did my 14 steps to second level both ways probably 10 times or more - by the end of the day I was afraid of tripping as I was tired
At five days out from major surgery, this is MORE than enough activity...as you indicated with the tiredness...probably too much.
Perhaps the doctor has no idea you get enough moving about :umm:

Definitely keep up the icing. I hardly had any bruising.

did my 14 steps to second level both ways probably 10 times or more - by the end of the day I was afraid of tripping as I was tired

Hello Evi,
If I'm understanding you, that's at least 280 steps you navigated yesterday, which is a lot at only five days post op. I'm assuming you're exhausted and definitely in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) today.

Please don't let your surgeon intimidate you in regard to therapy. You can tell him you'll consider PT at a later date. PT is a personal choice and you do not have to partake if you're not interested.

Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library on Saying No To Therapy, Am I Allowed -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/saying-no-to-therapy-am-i-allowed-to.36688/

This article from the Recovery Guidelines may help you stay on course enjoying an easier recovery without setbacks - http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Hopefully with lots of rest / ice / elevation you'll be back on track soon.
Stay in touch. We're here for you.
@Evi

So a bit of an update - took it totally easy today - long nap - icing quite a bit - which has brought down the swelling from overdoing it the other day- strolling with walker thru the house -

My pain is fairly well controlled on the Tylenol at this point - I feel the icing (which I do a lot of) helps the pain too- still have that log leg

I actually showered - and husband was able to get the teds back on - including my surgical leg - my heart was breaking for him - he’s got his own issues due to an automobile accident - he doesn’t have much hand strength - he was sweating by the time we got them on - he was so afraid that he’d hurt me - to avoid too much trouble I sleep in them and will only remove them for showering - I’m not going to miss them that’s for sure

it was a great feeling finally showering ! I can’t believe tomorrow is my one week anniversary already - I feel as if I’ve come so far in such a short time and am so thankful! I do find the restrictions of twisting at waist and pivoting difficult to remember- I must constantly remind myself - I guess it’s hard to remember because it’s feeling almost normal - if I start the forbidden movement tho - my body does send me a twinge - and I find I need to ice fairly immediately to calm down the area

Are a lot of you on Gabepentin ? I take it 2x a day
One thing that happens is sometimes while laying in bed the nerves sort of twitch funny - and the leg ‘Jumps’ a bit ? Is that normal ? It’s totally not controllable - it feels like the twitch starts maybe behind the knee - but it’s so quick it’s hard to say

My post surgery follow up is next week -

Twitches, zips, shocks,pinches and such are all pretty common.
I never had the dreaded TEDS. I did see a video, possibly on Youtube about an easier way to slip them on They used a bread bag on the leg and it allowed the TEDS to slip on easier, then pull the bag out. You might want to search for it.

I didn't take Gabepentin but
One thing that happens is sometimes while laying in bed the nerves sort of twitch funny - and the leg ‘Jumps’ a bit ? Is that normal ? It’s totally not controllable - it feels like the twitch starts maybe behind the knee - but it’s so quick it’s hard to say
this was also normal for me and many others on the forum.
All temporary!

Glad you got refreshing first shower ...scary for me, but :wowspring:did I feel happily tired afterward.
Hang in there, @leejaa :friends:

Hey @Evi ! I am glad to hear you are doing well! Wow your PT person had you do a lot! That does sound a bit extreame.
it was a great feeling finally showering !
Yes it does!! Amen and bless your hubby!!

I can’t believe tomorrow is my one week anniversary already - I feel as if I’ve come so far in such a short time and am so thankful!
Leaps and bounds everyday it feels like friend! I cant believe how fast we can progress!

Are a lot of you on Gabepentin ? I take it 2x a day
Im on that too! I was only told to take it at night cause it causes drowsiness. I take 1 before bed.
I get the pinching twitching feeling some too. I think it is just the nerves readjusting themselves after such a shock.
Glad you are taking it easy today and doing better :friends:

So a bit of an update - it’s been a while
I had 2 in house PT sessions last week - and didn’t find them at all detrimental- he was fairly easy on me - short sessions - easy movements
I’ve slowly started moving off the walker - using the cane more frequently as it’s just quicker - I still use walker at night or when really tired so I don’t trip over my own feet - I’m putting a concerted effort into trying to remember heel toe walking - bend that knee (talk to myself a lot while walking - going up stairs- reminding myself-I must sound crazy)
I had my first outpatient pt session yesterday - I was a bit nervous getting back into a car and maintaining my 90 degree precautions- but it all went well - the therapist seemed very nice - didn’t push me to do anything I didn’t feel comfortable with - the stretches he performed on my knee actually felt good - and knee seems to be more ‘bendy’ today
I don’t seem to be in any increased discomfort today due to the pt - so hopefully it continues on this track

Today was actually first day I felt that I didn’t need any pain meds ( I’ve only been on Tylenol since hospital) - so I hope that continues - but for some reason - even tho there’s no pain - I’m just incredibly wiped out - sleep - rest - lay around all day - little energy - I almost can’t stand myself I’m such a lazybones - but I’m just going with it - trying not to think of all the things I want to get done around the house - I think the gabepentin that I take 2 times a day may be contributing to the lethargy -

I still am icing a lot - I’d say I have an ice pack or 2 on my leg the majority of the day - it just feels so good next to the surgical area - I consider my bruising and swelling fairly minimal and I may be wrong but I attribute it to the frequent icing

The crazy leg twitching/jumping I had at the beginning which seemed to peak around the 6-7 night thankfully has subsided.

The biggest annoyance right now is I wish I had been able to find a place to rent some sort of chair - I didn’t want to buy anything as the precautions are short term -
- I’m not finding any of our chairs working for me - I add pillows and keep sliding off - I tried buying a foam cushion - not the right angle either - I just can’t get comfortable in a chair and I’m tired of laying or sitting in bed - but if that’s the worst - I have nothing to complain about

Tomorrow is my post op follow up - hope I get a good report -

My husband asked me today how was my pain now compared to bone on bone - and if I was glad that I finally did the surgery - a smile slowly crossed my face as I was embarrassed at how long I had put this off - I said yes - and I actually told him this feels so good I almost forgot what it was like - that doesn’t quite express it - cause if I think about it I can definitely remember that horrible pain - but what I meant was I’m moving around so comfortably relatively speaking that it’s easy to forget

Thank you all again very much - although I wasn’t a frequent poster - i was reading all the posts - i was greatly supported by all the info here

Last edited:
Hi :wave:
Nice update, thanks for sharing!
At not even two weeks post op you're dealing with Energy Drain -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/
You're certainly not alone in experiencing that.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

Best wishes for your post op tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. :)
@Evi

:happydance:Glad you feel you are turning a corner.
The biggest annoyance right now is I wish I had been able to find a place to rent some sort of chair - I didn’t want to buy anything as the precautions are short term -
The precautions may be short term but a comfy chair just for you can be used for a long time:)
I still love mine, and for the first six months, it was the only place I sat!
It can be your Prize for getting through this recovery so bravely!

Hope today is a Good Day!:ok:

@Evi Im am so glad things are going so well for you!
I am also experiencing the energy drain. Its weird though, some days it feels like I can just go but then I'll have a couple in a row where I feel like doing absolutely nothing. Those days drive me mad too! I feel like I am supposed to be doing something (not binge watching Little House on the Prarie or napping).

About the chair issue, I have a recliner that works well, but when that isnt an option (Im out or in a different room or just flat out am sick of it) I have used a small deck chair cushion. It is round and is a bit firmer than regular ones and pillows. I have finally gotten to get out this week and have taken it into restaurants several times now. I actually went to waffle house today and brought it in with me. Even with the cushion, I cant stay seated too long, but it does provide some relief and at a least allow me to sit in some cases.

I envy you pain med wise. I am still on a 3x a day Advil and Tylenol regimen, but I have been able to cut back of the amount each time and completely kicked the narcotics. The gabapentin at night for me is still a must. I was never required to take it twice a day. I stopped it a couple nights and the nerve pain hit me. I couldnt figure out why the pain meds weren't working. I didnt realize the difference between nerve pain and other pain before. I know now though!

I'm on a cane now too! I am working to not use it and can meander a few feet, but Im not quite ready for no supports yet.

Again so glad you're recovery is going well.

So although the last two days haven’t been quite so bad energy wise- I mean I haven’t been a total sloth - I do seem to need a nap in the late afternoon - I was never an afternoon napper but understand I need to let my body have it

I had pt again today - I must say I feel my knee being much more able to flex thanks to how he’s having me work it - and in addition I’m trying to up my daily step count a bit everyday - but still trying to keep good form - for decades I was a 10k steps a day person - it was my exercise after a stressful day at work - but the last few years I couldn’t really do it anymore except inside the house and not all at once - I’m back up to about 3700 steps a day (with a cane of course) - but it’ll be a while I know

I had my post op follow up yesterday - did a Doppler and X-ray and all seems good - removed the tape on the incision and applied some sort of strips that are supposed to fall off on their own accord over the next week
They reduced my aspirin to one a day - finished up the Gabapentin- told me I’m good to start back up on any supplements

Told me to try not to take any NSAIDS - i didn’t question the practitioner as to why but back at home I googled it and seems there is some controversy as to whether their anti inflammatory properties may inhibit bone production - or something of the sort - do any of the moderators/nurses have a take on this ?
I specifically asked if I could start up my turmeric again - and they said fine - but that too supposedly has anti inflammatory action - so I’m not sure if I really should - Anyone ? @Layla

Told I could now sleep on my surgical side with pillow between my knees- but I’d be so afraid of tossing and turning from that position and thereby breaking precautions - I think I’ll play it safe and stay flat on my back with the abduction pillow strapped between my calves - much less comfy - but safer in my case

No driving yet since it’s my right hip - and Im ok with that because know I wouldn’t be able to slam brakes if I needed to - that log leg thing is improving - but not totally gone

Next visit in 10 weeks

That’s about it -

:wave:Glad you got good report at appointment and glad you are listening to your body and giving it what it needs...power naps were essential for me, and I've never been a napper.
I stayed away from NSAIDS while recovering and actually mostly since as my hips no longer need them!

I also read through research that NSAIDS are not a good choice for recovering hip patients.

FYI - an excerpt:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0300060517732697
Postoperative drugs
Painkillers are frequently used by patients with hip osteoarthritis. In our experience, most of these drugs are represented by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). NSAIDs are the least safe of painkillers in terms of osseointegration. NSAIDs impair the osseointegration process of titanium implants by inhibiting cyclooxygenase-2. This results in decreased levels of prostaglandins, which are important in promoting inflammation and supply of bone-formation cells.

So - I haven’t posted much in recovery as it’s just been sorta same old - same old - yesterday I was 4 weeks post op and I think I’m moving along pretty good

Progressing from cane to basically without 99 percent of the time - I carry it along on walks in case I start to get tired and begin to walk sloppily - I think other than when I’m tired I’m pretty limp free - although I seem to be slow - I always was a fast walker and that hasn’t happened yet in my opinion - incorporating longer walks outside back into my routine - approximately 5000-6000 steps daily

One thing that has developed - which I feel is a setback- and I’m hoping maybe one of the advisors or nurses can weigh in on this @Mojo333 @Layla - only in the last 2 days I’ve developed a tightness and numbness down the lower part of my shin into the top of my ankle - but it’s so bad it verges on pain - kept me awake 2 nights ago almost all night -
At first I thought it was the TEDs cutting into my leg funny - but last night I took the TEDs off to sleep and still had it - although not quite as bad
But yesterday I also had an easier day - no P/T and shorter inside walk

As I’m sitting here typing this the numbness and tightness is gnawing at my shin - I’d say it’s inching past a 5 pain wise -

Any thoughts ?

That being said I can’t wait to ditch these TEDs - but my OS says 6 weeks - and I’m going to be as compliant as I can - I do tend to sleep in them though that’s not necessary - it cuts down on my husbands stress not having to put them on every morning

All that time of bad walking can cause new pains as we get adjusted to our good walking.
One month hipversary tomorrow :egypdance:
If the TEDS irritate it...maybe it's time to lose them in the wash:shrug:

Try some heat..try some ice...elevate and rest.
Wishing you lots of healing mojo, friend:ok:

Hi @Evi I am catching up on your thread, you are a little under 2 weeks ahead of me. :yes: I'm wondering about your shoes that you are walking in? Are they older shoes that you wore pre operatively?
Somebody gave me such great advice about getting new shoes so your leg isn't battling a shoe that is heavily worn from a failing hip (think a limping gait). It might be worth a try? It sure helped me with my first THR almost 4 years ago.
I like Mojo's idea of switching up heat and ice and see what helps, there, too. Our healing definitely isn't a linear line. Overalll you sound like you are perking right along!

Hi @Evi
Please sleep without those miserable TEDS if you weren't instructed to wear them overnight. Especially given you're 4 weeks post op. Hubs can help you with the socks for another two weeks. Remind him of "for better or worse" :heehee:

Consider setting aside PT for a week or more and see if the pain eases, while trying the ice and heat as Mojo
suggested. If all else fails, phone the office of your OS and let them determine whether you should schedule an appointment.
Wishing you speedy relief and a night of peaceful sleep sans TEDS. :wink:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a nice weekend so far and feeling better :)
Wishing you a great Sunday!
@Evi

Sounds like you are doing so well.But that numbness--I had tightness then spasms sounds like it is also post-op sensations of another sort which is more than likely goes with the territory for the time being. Do you have pain meds that are sufficient to control your pain?
I am still wearing the stockings but had to cease a couple of days. My legs are half their size and seeing OS tomorrow. Followed your thread and that shoe thing is correct. Wondering what people do --get new shoes post -op after 6-7 weeks? What kind?

Thank you everyone for your input - I’m 4½ weeks into recovery at this point - and only 1½ weeks to go on the TEDs and I’m determined they won’t get me to cry uncle.

I have been removing them a bit more for sleeping - not every night but before I never took them off except for showers as my husband really struggled getting them on. The numbness down the shin has subsided for the most part. I’m really off the cane, I just carry it just in case.

My outside walks are getting longer 6000-8000 steps per day

I do wake with stiff right knee though I sleep with ice on hip/butt and knee/shin almost all night

@Josephine maybe you can help. I’m still doing stairs one at a time. Yesterday asked at P/T when I can start doing them by alternating legs and he said we could try it. I did one stair, down with the bad then down with the good and there was a stabbing knife like pain in the knee of my operated leg. I practically buckled. It wasn’t when the operated leg was weight bearing but when I put the good leg on the next step. That was the end of that!

Tried then going up the one step and the same thing happened but not quite as bad. Went up with the good and when I then went to next step with the bad, sharp pain in knee almost brought me down

Any ideas? Is it normal P/T fellow thought it a vestige of poor pre-surgical gait, and indeed I had a severe limp but this was different. Or so it seemed

Still sleeping on my back with the abduction pillow and it’s causing a bit of lower back pain. Something I’ve never had before. But hoping when I get back to side sleeping it’ll resolve.

Still on 325mg aspirin per day for blood thinning. That’s prescribed till my 3rd month anniversary of the surger.

I’m so happy, though knock wood, no more hip pain and able to WALK!!!!!
Hope that knee issue is temporary

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom