THR Evi’s Recovery

Evi

Country
United States United States
hello everyone

Well I can’t believe the day finally came and went -
Finally I’m on the other side of the operation
- which frankly should’ve happened years ago!
I want to thank everyone for their kind words of support as well as all the information I gleaned from everyone’s posts of their personal experiences- I must say I actually surprised myself by being remarkably unafraid the last weeks prior - by then I knew I had no choice - and the added info from this site was so helpful as I had not much support system around me here-

Anyway surgery was the 13th - woke at 4 - did my last set of those antibacterial wipes - my daughter insisted on taking the day off to be there - despite my insistence that her dad and I had this - her presence was a huge help - arrived at the hospital at 515
- paperwork - prep - met with OS and anesthesiologist - rolled in the OR at 730 on the dot! I was surprised how cold it was in there!
The anesthesiologist said we are giving this test shot to see how you react to the sedative - it relaxes - and that was it - the next thing I knew I was in recovery at 930 !

I couldn’t believe I finally did it !!!!

Taken to room - my first attempt at walking was a disaster in my opinion- smarty pants me thought I could control the pain with just the Tylenol- I took 2 fairly painful steps - broke out in a sweat - told them I was going to faint - they sat me down - and lunch reappeared from my stomach - uhhh - they told me it was the anesthesia - that it sometimes happens - but I promptly realized everyone’s advice to stay ahead of the pain is so totally true - and that Tylenol alone would not Be enough in my situation - I told the nurse bring on the bigger guns - I am now at this point on lowest dose of roxicodine

Also my concern with the penicillin allergy - thank goodness came to naught - I successfully tolerated the Ancef -a cephalosporin- during surgery

Second day much more successful - Waked - did stairs
I’m a bit bummed that they kept me 2 nights - but the fact I only walked the one day - and most people are released after 2 days of walking- the nurse made her professional decision

I’m still here at the hospital - leaving hopefully in a few hours -

PT will be coming to the house tomorrow- and for one week
I’ve already scheduled my outpatient PT for this coming Friday

Personally I feel as if I’m not quite getting the walker thing - finding it hard to not be so cautious - I need to get the flow of walking rather than take step stop step stop etc - but it’s also a combo of the fact I can’t get used to bending my knee on the surgical side - not having a severe limp ( I can’t believe it’s gone !!!!) - and the weight bearing on the surgical side is a bit of an intense experience
- I’m also s bit surprised how difficult it is to lift the surgical leg off the bed etc - before the surgery I could do those leg lifts like crazy !!!
But I look down at my surgical leg and it’s actually able to go forward !!! Before the surgery I wasn’t able to rotate the hip enough to make my knee and foot face forward - I’m ecstatic!!
Also I can see, even with the walker, my limp seems to have disappeared!!

So that’s it up to now guys - hopefully everything else in the process continues to go as well - (knock wood )
But at 2 days in - count me in as another one who can’t believe I waited this long to have it done - !!

And thank you again for being a big part of getting me over the pre-op jitters!

Last edited:
Hey! We had ours on the same day! Glad yours has gone so well fellow June Sunbeam :loveshwr:
my first attempt at walking was a disaster in my opinion-
Yep! I had the same experience! I almost passed out the first couple times out of bed. After my second attempt, they gave me chips, O2, and let me sit on the edge of my bed until I was ready to try again ( I had to pee! So I was desparate)

I’m also s bit surprised how difficult it is to lift the surgical leg off the bed
Same here too! I have to have assistance with getting out of bed, chairs ... the toilet :whistle:
Cant wait to see how we all progress!

Last edited:
@Icespirit5 -
Yes we were buddies on the 13th!!
I’ve been reading your thread but you seemed to have a much more complicated situation - I’ve been using your experience as encouragement-

Yes - I never sweat - lol - but when I stood that first time - my face was soaked - and when I lost my lunch - I was so embarrassed that they needed to see that

I also find I have very little appetite - how about you -

I hope that you are continuing to do well !

@Evi, good to see you on the recovery side! It sounds like all is going well and you'll be released soon! Keep us updated when you're able! :flwrysmile:

@Evi Welcome to the recovery side from a fellow June Sunbeam! Sounds like you have got off to great start. Looking forward to sharing recovery experiences. :)

@Evi I have had an okay appetite. I haven't eaten a ton though. I had a spinal at first, but my surgery went long and they had to do the rest under general. I told them prior I had previously had some nasty experience with nausia and general so they probably gave me something directly after. I was able to eat half a turkey sandwich after then the other half later. Today I had a breakfast protein shake. I wasn't super hungry and I'm not much of a breakfast person so that is pretty normal for me.

Have you had any issues bending at your knee? My PT was just here and it was really an issue. We had to start real slow. I dont know if it is just muscle soreness and the leg lengthening that has made it this way or what.

Welcome to the bright side, Evi. :welome: Happy to see you here. Congrats on the new hip!

Please read the Recovery Guidelines below. I think you'll find the info beneficial as you begin the journey.
Stop back often, we'd love to follow your progress and support you along the way. :wave:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Evi

I forgot to mention Log Leg, the heaviness you're experiencing with your op leg.
Log Leg is your brain is telling your leg to move but the muscles and soft tissue have been so traumatized that there's no reaction.

There is an assistive device called a Leg Lifter you can use, but many use something as simple as the tie to a bathrobe. Good news is it's only temporary.
Safe travels home!
@Evi

@Icespirit5
Hi - yes I’ve had knee bending issues

My daughter said it was my Frankenstein walk - lol
I’m trying to analyze it - It’s not that it hurts - i think it’s just favoring the leg - plus I had quite a severe limp pre surgery - I consciously must remind my self to bend it with each step - it helps me to remind myself to land on my foot with the heel and roll to the toe - the knee bend comes more naturally then
But yours sounds like it’s more a pain thing

Bravo you are on the other side and you seem to moving nicely along. I could not eat for about 10 days but am ok now.Speedy recovery and continue posting yourprogress.

I’m 10 days out and also having a lot of issues with bending my knee. Seems always hurt worst after PT so going to take a week off. I only had two sessions with the pt so far. My leg was also not straight prior to surgery for years and now it is. I think the problem is muscle tightening. Glad to hear you are doing so well!
Tara

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @Evi
Glad you are on your healing journey and will be back to healthy and happy.
You sound like you are staying positive which is a great help!
The heel/toe gait training is also a great help.
You have more of a presence of mind these early days than I did...it was a few weeks before I glommed on to this idea.
Hope today is a Good Day!
Healing hugs...

Bit of an update - So while in the hospital they were giving me roxicodone - only 5 mg every 4 hours - which they said was a low dose - it seemed to be working
But 5-10 minutes into walking in p/t I felt woozy - slightly dizzy - needed to sit - a tad nauseous- yet I felt workout was sort of a breeze - i didn’t feel at all taxed during the session - so was a bit confused
They checked blood pressure and it was a bit low
They changed pain meds to Norco - a hydrocodone and Tylenol mix - they said it was less strong - I was an ‘opioid virgin’ - their term - lol - and it was probably too strong for me
The nurse said don’t take unless pain is like a 4
So I actually have only been on Tylenol - either 2 extra strength or 3 regular strength every 6-8 hours
I’m really fairly comfortable
Also of note is - in hospital - I was there 2 nights due to the low blood pressure - but they had ice on me continuously- so that’s the first 54 hours after surgery - at this point knock wood - minimal swelling - at home of course I’m more mobile - but I try to ice a lot - like every time I’m sitting or laying between my excursions down my hallway

My biggest challenges now seem to be remembering not to pivot and turn -
And those compression socks - there was a bit of an incident and I needed to change the one on my non surgical leg - even with the plastic bag on foot trick my husband was pushing and jamming - so to avoid trouble I slept in them - I dread thinking of trying to put them on after showering

@Tarajeane - yes I think we compensate to accommodate the hip and then muscles need to relearn their function - hope you are doing better

@Icespirit5 - hope you are doing good today
Thank you everyone for you continued support

Last edited:
The nurse said don’t take unless pain is like a 4
I'm afraid I don't agree. The trick is to stay ahead of the pain just post op. Take your meds as prescribed and on schedule. It's all very temporary but will help you get mobile again.

@Evi those socks are truly a nightmare :rotfl: i have just been sleeping in them too!
Remembering the restrictions on turning and moving about are difficult. My house a bit narrow and was not built for free reign of the walker. My fam is always telling me "pull over speed racer!" Cause they cant get by me and I'm a tad slow :heehee:
I can really relate with your compensation issues. The heel toe gait thing is something I have to specifically monitor myself of when ambling about. Plus, you throw in even leg length that hasn't been there in 15 years, my body is quite confused. It is all for good though :) I am glad you are home well and fairly comfortable :friends:

@Layla - how long does that log leg typically last ?
I thought it was getting better but I think yesterday I joined the over did it club - thigh looks puffy - my teds feel tighter at bottom of calf/ankle - knee seems puffy - much more difficult to lift leg enough in order to swing it off of bed - every time I need to get up it’s like ugh

Yesterday I felt like a million bucks - today it’s more like a dollar and a quarter.

I’m icing like crazy - trying to get in the swing again as pt is coming this afternoon

One of mine lasted upwards of a month. Overdoing and PT might be keeping it from adequately getting the time it needs to get over the surgery trauma.
It needs time and rest, in my opinion.
Do take today easy :ice:

Good Morning!
Log Leg can hang around for a bit. It's different for everyone but you most certainly are within the realm of it being normal at a mere five days out of surgery. So no worries please.

Try using the tie /belt from a bathrobe to lift your leg in and out of bed until it comes more naturally.
Read the articles on ICE and ELEVATE again from the Recovery Guidelines and make sure you're doing both as recommended. PT is really unecessary at this stage of the game and can do more harm than good in some instances. If there is any way you can back that off, I'd seriously consider it. Your leg has been injured, it needs to heal, not put through the rigors of a workout. There is time for that later if you're dealing with gait or ROM issues.

I hope you have a good day. Check in later and let us know how you're doing. :wave:

Another reminder from the Recovery Guidelines - your recovery / your choice....but please keep it in mind -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

@Layla - why do they seem to push it so much?? - pt that is- I agree - I feel as if exercising at this point is too much

My OS - who has a great reputation -has prescribed it - and I hate to seem like I am a patient that is not compliant - although I’m so thankful for what he’s done for me - he’s a bit intimidating- but I definitely don’t want to push myself into an injury

Yesterday due to some utility issues at home I had to walk a lot around the house - did my 14 steps to second level both ways probably 10 times or more - by the end of the day I was afraid of tripping as I was tired

If this seems too intense I definitely will put it on hold

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom