THR Evi’s Recovery

Hi @Evi
Wondering how you're doing since you last posted.
Please leave an update next time you stop by. We'd love to hear of your progress.
I hope you have a nice weekend.!

Since it’s basically been nothing new- I haven’t posted in a while - but I just passed 7 week post surgery - and thought I’d post a bit of a boring update - but I think in this case boring is good -
At completion of 6 weeks p/t ratcheted up the exercises and I think I’m holding my own - they’ve added in bicycle and light weights - hip isn’t the issue - it’s my knee on the surgical side - it’s what is holding me back from doing steps normally - it’s pretty stiff feeling - painful on steps only - walking doesn’t hurt knee at all - they tell me that the muscles are quite weak after dragging the right leg for over 2 years - I know p/t isn’t necessary- but in my case I think they’ve helped me enormously
- knee is slowly getting stronger and am beginning to be able to do steps normally
Last week when I hit the 6 week mark set by the OS was able to discontinue use of the TEDs - it felt so strange - but nice strange
The scar is looking good and also by six weeks the last of the tape strips had fallen off by themselves - dr had said just let them fall off
Dr follow up visit is 5 weeks off- he still has me on one 325 mg aspirin per day -
For over 2 weeks I’ve been walking 4.5 miles daily - I can’t believe it - it’s been so many years since I’ve been able to walk without pain - freaked out a bit two days ago as I was on my walk and a little white dog scooted out of nowhere and nipped me in the shin - didn’t draw blood but it broke the skin - I came home and drowned it in isopropyl alcohol- took some of my prophylactic antibiotic I had in the house for dental appointments
It’s achy and a bit swollen - Called dr in the morning - he’s having me keep my eye on it - but darn - of all the luck !!
Still on 90 degrees restriction as I’m posterior approach- How are you guys handling pedicures/trimming nails - my dr recommended I go to a podiatrist this early in the game - save the salon for a few months from now

So not much to report as you can see - therefore the reason I hadn’t left an update - but just so glad to be walking pain and limp ( and I mean severe) free!

Last edited:
That is a real bit of bad luck for that little dog to bite you! Darn it!
I am about 12 days behind you and I am nowhere close yet to walking 4.5 miles.. good for you!
there's nothing more enjoyable than walking and getting exercise and seeing the neighborhoods.
Enjoy your weekend.. I know I plan to! :flwrysmile:

Hello :wave:
Everything was sounding so good until the dog :doggie: little stinker! Thankfully you reacted quickly, were proactive and checked with your OS. I recall this happening to another woman who I went through Recovery with.

On a lighter note, walking 4.5 miles since you were 5 weeks post op, without negative side effects,
is great. Go Evi! Thanks for updating, it was great to hear from you. :)
@Evi

:hi: Evi, Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hope you're having a nice week and enjoying some beautiful Summer weather in your neck of the woods.
Take care and stay in touch!
@Evi

So I’m 9 weeks today and proceeding well I think - knee - right surgical side- seems to be slooooowly resolving
I’m doing stairs normally most of the day - but my house has a lot of them - often by late evening I’ve resorted to one step at a time as the stiffness and full feeling around knee causes knee to not being able to bend
My hip remarkably is just fine - an occasional twinge - but - knock wood - nothing to complain about

But back to the knee - since I can’t really twist or bend yet due to precautions I haven’t really been able to examine it - but the other night when it was really bad - judicious use of mirrors got me a better look
@Layla @Josephine these are probably questions for you - is it normal after the surgery that knee would be like this - no pain AT ALL walking - only stairs - I noticed now that entire back of knee is quite swollen - area is quite large - now I know why I can’t bend it as it’s really quite puffy back there - also I thought it was black and blue - but on closer inspection it’s a veritable tangle of hundreds of fine spidery veins so many it appeared black and blue from a distance - I didn’t have that pre surgery - they seem to have burst - will they resolve and disappear- front of knee isn’t really noticeably swollen - there’s one small black and blue mark the size of a quarter on outside leg just below knee with burst veins emanating from it -

So after discovering this I’ve now started icing the back of knee and it does bring down the swelling about 50-75 percent until it’s aggravated again -

is this normal - just needs to resolve itself or did something in my knee get injured considering all those veins burst in back of the knee

I don’t care how it looks - my leg modeling days are over - (that’s a laugh) - I’m just so glad my hip is pain free - but if something in knee now needs to be addressed - perhaps torn - maybe you know ?

Thank you for your continued help - looking forward to possibly being restrictions free in 3 more weeks !! Yes !! Back To side sleeping !!! And leg crossing !!

Last edited:
Hi Evi,
It was nice to hear from you. It sounds as though you're doing well aside from the knee issues.
It may still be healing from the dislocation process during which it can be manipulated rather aggressively. Since it's been two months you may want to check in with your OS regarding your assessment of the situation and I'm sure through a few questions they'll be able to offer you some reassuarance.

In all honesty, my knee has never been the same since my THR. I brought it up multiple times before they finally x-rayed it at 6 months post op to shut me up I'm sure. I was told I have very mild arthritic changes which shouldn't bother me for years to come. Don't understand how they can predict that, but it never bothered me until after surgery. In my case, I feel there's a connection and I'm sticking with that! :wink: I hope your issues ease soon. Thanks for the update. Enjoy the weekend!
@Evi

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well, Evi, and your knee has improved.
Drop us a note next time you're around. We'd love to hear about your progress over the past month.
I hope you have a beautiful Autumn in your part of the world. :SUNsmile:
@Evi

So I sort of dropped off the forum because things were progressing so well it seemed boring to post anything
Originally I had TRHR on June 13 2019

Finished PT - was pain free - incredibly pleased - at 3 then 6 months totally pain free all the time

Then around beginning to middle of January 2020 I began getting tweaks of pain - randomly in different spots - side of hip - thigh - buttock - groin (almost throbbed like when hip started going bad years ago)

But then things
seemed to subside after a bit

Then came back and subside again

But now I’m starting to panic a bit
It seems to be intensifying - like today groin throbbing - buttock occasionally too - outside of hip throbs a bit on and off
If I Lay on my operated hip it can sometimes bother - but not always
But the most concerning to me is if I happen to stand sort of with more of my weight shifted to my operated side - right leg sort of to the side - I get this funny sensation in my mid to lower thigh as if - the best I can describe it is my thigh feels locked - if I try to step off leg too fast the most painful sensation shoots thru my thigh so bad I could gasp- it’s like I slowly need to roll the weight off the leg to release it - but still quite painful
This is happening slightly more frequently the past few weeks

because it was coming and going I didn’t call dr - but since it is slightly more frequent I am going to have to
But any idea what I may have done ?
Guess I’m a bit nervous I really screwed something up so have been hesitant to call

it’s just so crazy - at 6 months dr sent a survey and I was TOTALLY 100 percent pain free - now this
Any ideas? Suggestions?

@Evi Sorry you are having issues now. It's always the last thing you did or added. Have you stepped up or added any activity lately? Moved anything heavy or pushed/pulled furniture? If you stop all activity and rest does this pain ease?

@Jacey
I have - but do you think this will improve with more complete rest or is it possible have I damaged something seriously

@Evi What activities have you started? Did you lift something heavy? I need a bit more information before I can comment.

@ jacey
After the new year I started doing planks - (leaning on forearms and elbows and pushing off floor while keeping body straight) but after about two or three days I felt like it wasn’t good for the hip so I stopped totally - it seemed to resolve almost completely but not totally
But since doing this it seemed like doing my pre-op prescribed exercise (prescribed by dr to build upper body strength prior to hip Replacement) of pushing out of chair to strengthen upper arms aggravated hip so I stopped those too

then about 3-4 weeks later I lifted the end of a sofa - just lifted the front foot to slip a rug under the leg - at the moment It felt more like I pulled my lower back

Hard to remember but I’d say between the 2 events was when standing and putting almost total weight on surgical side and leaning to the side ( sort of stance you take when waiting in line or working at kitchen counter ) was when the licking sensation started

Thanks for the details. Planks are not going to do anything for your hip and yes, they probably aggravated that new hip. If you think about it - you are putting your body weight through your torso.

Lifting the end of the sofa - been there, done this. And yes, new hips do not like lifting anything heavy.

I really don't think you did any damage. It takes a lot to impact an implant. But muscles and soft tissues that have not had to take any great activity are now complaining. If it were me, I would stop all this "extra" activity and rest that hip. Ice and elevate if you have the time. Let all that area settle. Then gradually start activities again. The key is gradual. Listen to that hip.

Just keep reminding yourself that all this is temporary. You will get back to all the activities - but give that hip time.

Please keep us updated!

Hi Evi :wave:
Happy One Year Anniversary!
I hope all of the issues you were dealing with last time you posted have resolved.
Please let us know if you have time. Best wishes for a perfect Summer!
@Evi

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom