TKR Everlost's pre-op post

Everlost

Country
United States United States
Hi everybody! So nice to find such a perfect forum for this time in my life. Nice to meet you all!

I am having a right total knee replacement on 2/1/21 and then the left knee replacement will be done 6-8 weeks after, depending on how my recovery goes. I don't know anyone that has had knee replacement so I will be reading as much as I can in the next 2 months to get ready. I'm sure I will have lots of questions.

My insurance got better this year so it was time to start taking care of myself. My plan a year ago would have been to have both knees done in 2020 but I had a couple other surgeries that had to come first and that pandemic kinda got in the way. Oh well, 2021 it is.

I'm really happy, though nervous, to have these surgeries. Not just for me, but for my family. I'm at the point where I can barely walk to the mailbox and back without being in bad pain. I have osteoarthritis. This pain doesn't just affect me, it affects our lives as a family. My kids, my husband, they have missed out on so much because of me. It is time to take my life back. Here is my goal, I'm telling you guys first. I live in Florida, about an hour from the theme parks. When I can walk well again, I'm buying annual passes to Universal and maybe Disney and we are going to enjoy all that they offer.

Questions:

Anyone know anything about short term disability? My work/insurance gives me 6 weeks at 100% pay, after I use 1 week of PTO. After that, its up to 26 weeks at 75% pay. But, I'm having 2 surgeries fairly close together. (I would have done them at the same time but my surgeon said absolutely not). I will call insurance to ask but does anyone know if short term disability is per event or per calendar year ? I prefer the 100% pay two times and use 2 weeks of PTO but it is what it is.

What are the absolutely must have bigger items that will need to be purchased? I know I need a walker, especially with two bad knees. I ordered one from Amazon which will be here this week. I live in a two story house, I don't even know how I will be getting up and down the stairs much less dragging a walker with me, should I buy a second one?

How hard is it to get off the toilet? Do I need an assistive device for this room(s). How bout the shower? I have a walk in shower, do I need a shower stool or will I be okay standing for a 10 minute shower? My 'good' knee is weak, I can't stand on it alone, I'll be weight bearing on the surgery knee right away though, right?

The surgeon said they will send the PT person to my house for the first 2 weeks, I have a home gym with a exercise mat for the floor. After that, they want me to go to outpatient PT, depending on how much my insurance allows. Anything special I need for PT other than some shorts?

That's all I got for now. I look forward to learning from you wise ones that have been there done that and I also look forward to going through this process with the rest of you joint replacement newbies.

Howdy Everlost, Welcome. I've tried to answer some of your questions based on my experience.

The hospital pts will most likely teach you to do stairs before you leave the hospital. I borrowed 2 walkers for my first surgery but ended up just having my husband transport the walker for me between floors. I gave one back.

Newer toilets are higher than older ones. If you have one of those you might be able to get up. I didn't have a higher toilet, so I used a seat riser for several weeks. Something to sit on in the shower will be useful. I bought a shower stool but my Mom just used a plastic chair from her porch.

I doubt you'll need any special equipment for that first 2 weeks of pt. Pretty simple exercises probably done on your bed at first.

They had me stand on my new knee pretty shortly after I got to my room.

I also had 2 knees done months apart. One thing that might happen is that the "good knee" will struggle as it carries more of the load. As my new knee got stronger my physical therapist had me switch the cane to support that still wobbly knee.

The staged surgery for the 2 knees worked out well for me. Though my knees are still recovering and are sometimes stiff I'm delighted with all I can do.

Good luck to you, I think you have a great positive attitude.

I am so happy you joined. There are truly wonderful and knowledgeable staff and moderators and members. Everything you said hit home for me- I will be watching your thread closely. I’ve only been on about a month but it’s the place I come for support from people who understand- it’s invaluable. So welcome.

Hello @Everlost- and :welome:

Here are some articles that will help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

do I need a shower stool or will I be okay standing for a 10 minute shower? My 'good' knee is weak, I can't stand on it alone, I'll be weight bearing on the surgery knee right away though, right?

The surgeon said they will send the PT person to my house for the first 2 weeks, I have a home gym with a exercise mat for the floor. After that, they want me to go to outpatient PT, depending on how much my insurance allows. Anything special I need for PT other than some shorts?
You will probably be all right without a shower stool, but it's a good idea to have a chair to sit on while you dry yourself. At first, just having a shower will make you very tired and you'll probably need to have a rest immediately afterwards.

You won't need any equipment for home PT. In fact, you'll need to do very little PT in the first few weeks after surgery. Just walking around your house will be enough.

It's not exercising that gets you your Range of Motion (ROM) - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your knee has the potential to achieve good ROM right from the start, but it's prevented from doing so by swelling and pain. As it heals and the swelling goes down, your ROM (both flexion and extension) will gradually increase spontaneously

These are the only exercises you really need to do - and none should be done to the point of pain:
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

You will need some way of elevating your leg:
Elevation: Doing It the Right Way
And of icing your knee:
Ice to control pain and swelling

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics