THR Equestrian's recovery with Ehlers Danlos

Thank you so much everyone! I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT when I got on and NOTHING HAPPENED. No pain, no tightness NOTHING. I literally did not remember how a good hip actually felt, because it had been so many years of issues, and the last 6 months I spent riding were just awful. So so excited to build stamina in that hip and leg and get back to the fitness level I was in before this really started to go downhill. More to follow!:horseriding:

Absolutely Brilliant.

Well done polarice.

Olympics next.

I am now 3 months and 6 days post surgery and the hip at this point is doing incredible. I had Covid on what should have been my 3 months appt, but I got Covid and had to cancel it. The appt was pushed back a month so we here are.

I just started riding very small rides and with my husband there in case I were to dislocate. Having hEDS I am at a much higher risk of dislocation because I have to do that much more work to strengthen than your average THR patient. I still sit here overwhelmed with gratefulness for the new hip my surgeon gave me, and the incredible knowledge he had with my case and the amazing work he did.

At this point I am dealing with some pretty severe lower back pain. That is literally the only issue that started about 2 months ago. I was told I also have an LLD which could be the cause. What worries me with that, is that I got an insole a month ago and the back pain has not gotten any better. I have just taken the insole out and trying again without it. That’s all I have to report right now

Good morning my lovelies! I am now just over 3 month months post op my Left THR. The hip itself feels incredible. I am doing physio and other exercises, and started riding my horse(very lightly and cautiously), but since I started walking, I started having lower back pain(quite severe actually). I was told it did appear that I have an LLD which was corrected with an insole just over a month ago but the back pain CONTINUES.

Have any of you experienced the back pain post THR? Did you have LLD associated with it? Did the insole eventually fix the issue? The exact LLD will be checked on my next appt(in 3 weeks), but other than the LLD I don’t know what else could be the cause of the issue. They had a lot of difficulty find the proper cup placement because of the 2 PAOs I had on that side. Could the lower back pain be caused by poor cup placement and therefor a gate change? So many questions and so little answers. The lower back pain was mentioned to the surgeon at the first appt, but he said it would likely go away by our next appt at 3 months(which was not the case and it got more severe).

Oh my giddy aunt! I only just caught up with your news - you are riding again. Already! That’s wonderful. While I can’t begin to imagine getting on a horse (eek! So far up! On a live creature! What if it moves?!) I do know how great it is to get back to a hobby we love. Happy trails to you.

Wow I am amazed you are riding! I am almost at 3 months post op even though I had a hip pinning and not a total hip replacement I cant imagine spreading my legs that wide and not be in pain (ouch). Congrats! Mentally when I think about going skiing again it really freaks me out since that's how I broke my femur so I am in awe of you that you are getting back to a hobby you love as @Klassy says. Right now I am just focusing on walking unassisted without a cane and not limping so badly. Please let us know how you are doing with the back pain. Funnily enough my back pain has all but gone due to the pinning of the hip. The body is such a wonder and so intricate. I saw you have had many surgeries and you are so young so I am sure you know your body well already and know when something feels off. Hopefully in a few weeks when you see your surgeon you can get some answers.

Just had my 3 month post-op meeting with the surgeon. Everything looks great. He isn't sure why I have lower back pain. I've talked to a few people this week who think it might be related to REALLY TIGHT hip flexors, so I will start doing a lot of stretching, and see if it helps with that. The hardware is from one of the other surgeries I had.

Here are the xrays from the appt.

Hi polarice

Glad everything looks great. Hope your lower back pain gets better.

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hope each month is better than the last.
Enjoy the Summer! :SUNsmile:
@PolarIce

Thank you so much!!!!❤️

I well the last 2.5 weeks I have been dealing with a new symptom(other then the lower back pain I still cannot get rid of), and it’s severe pain in the front(slightly off centre and to the left), of my lower leg. Pain is when I am walking or standing. This morning it was so severe that I almost had to pull out my crutch.

It’s not a pulled muscle. It feels like burning pain for sensation. This morning I also have quite bad hip joint pain to which I didn’t have before. Even sitting here the joint aches(leg pain only kicks in when I stand or walk).

Could this be related to my back? I don’t think it’s sciatica because of where the pain is located. Inflammation? I’m really concerned about this.

Going to grab my ice machine over lunch break and ice it all afternoon.

I hope it sorts itself out polarice, thinking of you, hopefully it's just a routine ache and it will all be good soon.

It doesn’t sound like the pain you mentioned is related to your back, given the location you described. Hopefully several days later now, it’s eased. If not, you may want to check with your surgeon’s office for some reassurance.
With any luck you're feeling better. :fingersx:
@PolarIce

Good morning my lovelies-I ate Advil and have been using the ice machine non-stop since Friday. I started taking Advil like there is no tomorrow and it’s gotten substantially better. I’m going to look into seeing my family doc and getting anti-inflammatories. I wonder if maybe I started doing too much to quickly and things got inflamed?

I wonder if maybe I started doing too much to quickly and things got inflamed?
Possibly, if you can’t attribute it to anything else. One of my favorite sayings I read on a clinic sign a few years ago - “Pain Is Your Body Asking For Change”

I wonder if maybe I started doing too much to quickly and things got inflamed?
Possibly, if you can’t attribute it to anything else. One of my favorite sayings I read on a clinic sign a few years ago - “Pain Is Your Body Asking For Change”
That is one of the best quotes I’ve read! I’m on day 3 of Advil now so lets see if it gets much better.

New update-I saw a chiro who thinks I am having a anterior pelvic when I walk, which is what is putting strain on my lower back. They said continuing on with the physio I am doing now, with time, as I strengthen all the right muscle groups, I will be able to adjust my gait and make that pain go away. I’ve already seen some improvements over the last few days. More to come on that.

The sharp pain in the front of my lower calf is no better. Just started a strong anti-inflammatory for 5 days and see if it helps. I am hoping that that will also go away with time as I continue my recovery. Just passed my 4 month anniversary whoop whoop!!! So grateful for this new hip.

Happy 6 months to me and the new hip!

Update-that lower calf pain finally disappear on its own about a month after we tries the anti-inflammatoires. I wore a calf chin splint VERY tight during that time to help override what felt like nerve pain. No one ever figured out what it was.
The lower back pain also disappeared on its own. I found that one went away after I started going to the gym and focused on my back and legs. I’m not 100% if that issue will come back one day or not.

I think having been in pain for so long, that I had to relearn how to walk, sit and stand properly. Body had a huge adjustment to make.

So blessed!!!!!

Great update Poarice.

I wish you well for the future.

I am 7.5 months post op! Life is amazing you guys. I have had zero problems with it other than that really severe front of calf pain that eventually went away on it’s own after about 2 months from the first day it started. The lower back pain went away as well, but has just recently come back again. I feel anytime I stop dedicated myself to those PSOAS stretches, it comes back-so back at those stretches I am again! The good news is now I know it can go away with stretching, so I have to teach myself to do them regularly.

Other than that I brain is starting to stop constantly thinking of the new hip, and relax into every day routine instead of always thinking “am I ok to do this with the new hip?”. I think it’s a normal thinking process to go through when you are a new hippy patient. I have found zero restrictions, zero pain and no issues at all with the new hip. I wake up every day feeling like I am living a dream honestly. The amount of issues and pain I had before-compared to NOTHING now is just mind blowing to me, and I am so grateful that I live in a country where something like this can be done, SO GRATEFUL. ❤️

Take nothing for granted my friends. We are the luckiest people alive. Live like today was your last

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back