THR Equestrian's recovery with Ehlers Danlos

Well an interesting twist to the day. I just came back from my family doctor and found out that I have EDS-Mobility type. I am not sure how I feel about getting the official diagnosis, but it was something that I had been wondering about for a while. My surgeon figured I did from the assessments he did with me, and the issues I have had. Well onwards and upwards! Your attitude determines the altitude!

I’m sorry to read this PolarIce. Hopefully with this diagnosis comes a successful treatment plan and close monitoring for the best quality of life. Adopting a healthy diet and keeping stress to a minimum is definitely a great first step. Wishing you comfort as you adjust to your diagnosis. I hope you have a peaceful weekend.
@PolarIce

Gee, @PolarIce
:unsure:
With all of your prior surgeries, it would seem that this might have come up on the radar prior to now.

I know exercises to strengthen and stabilize muscles and tendons to stabilize joints is an important part of therapy and treatment of EDS, so you are definitely having to strike a balance with this THR Recovery.
We've had a few members with hypermobility Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (hip and knee) and one member's thread I found who hasn't been on for a bit.
@jane1022

Your attitude determines the altitude!

Love this!
Keep the faith.... you've got this.:ok:

Thank you so much for the support, and THANK YOU for that link! I will read up on it now.
What is frustrating to me is that my surgeon was the 4-5th physician to say "you have unusually loose hips(or shoulders, or ankles, or wrist)). Over the years I have seen different doctors for different injuries, but for the exception to that comment about looseness, NO ONE has ever picking up or looked into it further. I think there is a lot of education that needs to be put into this condition, because a lot of doctors clearly blew passed this one.

It was my hip surgeon who directly asked the direct question. I have been going back in time since yesterday when I got the diagnosis and reflected back on my youth. It makes me really sad to know that this was missed all together. A diagnosis would have made my growing up so much more supported(by the medical teams).

So much more education needs to happen in this field.

Interesting. How it would cause breakdown of joints . Wow.

Interesting. How it would cause breakdown of joints . Wow.
The breakdown of the hips themselves was caused by the hip dysplasia I was born with. The diagnosis of hEDS confirmed why I have such loose and unstable joints. The condition causes you to have very loose and lax joints meaning that I can sprain and strain more easily than your average person(amongst many other health issues).

Tomorrow I will be 10 weeks post op! I am so close to be able to ride, that I can taste it. Physio has now been bumped to every 2 weeks instead of weekly, so it's giving me the chance to gain more strength. I have the surgeon follow up next week on Monday which is when I am due to get my first post-op xrays from the surgery. The only xray I've seen is the in O.R. one. Mentally feeling good, still feeling quite tired a lot of days(but that is probably a mix of still being in an active recovery phase and having EDS).

I laughed at myself last week, because I decided I wanted to start doing lunges. I successfully did the first one, then the operated side NOPE I was NOT GETTING UP lmao! I think sometimes you need a reminder that you need to build up the muscle to do certain things, instead of just shooting for gold. I definitely laughed out loud, and thankfully I did it next to the couch arm-rest to pull myself back into vertical position.

Good afternoon @PolarIce
Consider talking to your surgeon about the lunges to get his opinion before attempting them again.
BoneSmart’s Nurse Emeritus, Josephine, who I know you’re familiar with, reminded us that lunges can cause generalized tendinitis, particularly in quads, glutes and hamstrings. I‘d go easy…with a nod from your surgeon first. I’d hate to see you stall your recovery at this point.
Good luck with your follow up visit next week!

I successfully did the first one, then the operated side NOPE I was NOT GETTING UP
Just because you can does not mean you should. A bit early days for strength training. Listen to that new hip!

Thank you ladies, I appreciate the slap on the fingers! I need that everyone once in a while. I will definitely not be doing it as per your amazing advice. Getting so close to be able to bring back normal life(or ease into normalcy anyways).

I dunno...I'm trying to think in what world lunges are part of normal life :rotfl:

On the other hand, I hope you document your first ride after all this stall rest. You know that without photos, it didn't happen, right?

Best wishes and best of luck getting back in the saddle :horseriding:

Hi Polarice

Hi ho silver.

Excellent update, that horse getting closer and closer.

Recovery sounds great, canter be you gallop though. lol.

Best of luck with seeing the surgeon next Monday.

Ha! You can bet your little tush that there will be photos and video of this first ride! I don't remember how I managed to ride with the amount of pain and weakness I have pre-surgery. The last time I competed was in the fall last year and I could barely do it(it included tears every time). I think I will ask hubby to not ride that day and just take some photos and video-heaven forbid something bad happens. The last thing I want is the 2 of us being on horses and my hip pops out or something else. We will definitely be behaving with all this during the first few weeks of riding.

Well I caught Covid 19 late last week and was super sick all week. Still not feeling super hot a week later but on the mend.

Guess what I did last night??!? first ride in 6 months. There was ZERO pain. My new left hip was incredible. I didn't even remember riding could feel like this. Overwhelmed with this feeling of gratefulness and feeling so blessed.
CF133-B3-B-F45-E-4512-983-A-AE6-EB70851-F3.jpg

Awesome accomplishment @PolarIce! The future looks bright! :walking:

Well done @PolarIce ! This is just the beginning.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks