Encouragement needed badly....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just keep telling myself.....you can do this, you can do this, you CAN do this! And reminding myself how much BETTER I'm going to be once recovered!

You CAN DO IT!!! the surgeon and the surgical team all do their part, but you can deal with anything that recovery throws at you---trust me, we all have had some "interesting" moments during recovery, but we all worked through the issues, and you will, too. When you are, as Josephine says, "done and dusted", you will be amazed at how great yo feel and what you---and your new knee---are capable of doing.

OH my......today's the day for my pre-op appointment and bone/joint class at the hospital. Looks like this is really going to happen now!!! Still feeling REALLY nervous, and just wish it was over and I knew what it was going to be like! These "what ifs" are driving me absolutely crazy! Just wish I could stop my mind and think of other, more pleasant things! Maybe once I talk with the hospital staff, I will feel a bit better??? Sure hope so!

Anyone else here with sleep apnea? I'm just wondering how that will effect my surgery and recovery??? I do use a CPAP machine regularly, but I'm just a bit nervous about it.

Thanks, again, for being here to listen to all of my worries! I'm afraid you just might get a little tired of me in the next 12 days!!!!

Sure wish I had a crystal ball and could see myself in recovery!

Good Luck Dewey, I have a PM appt tomorrow, and really nervous too, will keep you in my prayers.:flwrysmile:

Good luck today Dewey; you'll do fine and talking with the professionals will likely be encouraging. Hang in there, you'll get through this and be bouncing back before you know it!:ok:

Hello, again...

I had my pre-op/bone class at the hospital on Tuesday. I had hoped that it would ease my nerves a bit to have more information, but I'm sorry to say that my apprehension has been escalated ever since! As my surgery date gets closer, the more scared I become! I know this is normal, and I'd be strange if I wasn't scared, but I have so much to do yet and I feel almost as if I'm in a cloud now! I have to concentrate so hard on not letting my nerves get the best of me, so I'm having trouble concentrating on the things I need to think about!! I'm sure hoping there are others here that understand how I'm feeling!

The "straw that broke the camel's back" was when the hospital PT came in to discuss the procedures that would be done in the hospital. Her exact words were "If physical therapy isn't painful, it just won't work"!!! I told her I believed there were two different beliefs about pt (No pain - No gain and Slow and Steady), and she said that was nonsense!

So.......here I am again asking for reassurance, encouragement, and support! Can you help a BIG chicken??? :yikes:

First, you are NOT a big chicken. You're just apprehensive as is to be expected when facing major surgery.:what: Second, I would immediately contact the hospital, and even your surgeon if you need to get him involved, to have that PT removed from your case. She should not be arguing with you; she works FOR you. How dare her!:tantrum: Alternatively? Ask her to visit here or print out a few of the articles for her. But my first choice would be to get rid of her!

I wish I had some magic words to help you concentrate through your nerves. My best suggestion is to make yourself lists - and go over them a few times to ensure you don't forget something. It might even be helpful if you have a friend who can go over them with you; feedback from someone else is a good way to not miss anything.

You can do this Dewey. And you'll be so much stronger for the doing! Don't let that PT broad push you around; she is not your boss. Your knee is going to be your boss and as everyone has said and will say again - listen to your knee!

Lots of hugs for you; you're going to do great!
smiley-hugs.gif

:hissy:I think these PTs are trained incorrectly. Sure, it won't be "comfortable" but outright painful, crying etc.? NO.

Hey Dewey, hang in there....the last few days of waiting were the worst for me. I will be doing my first day of returning to teaching full time on the day of your surgery. I'll send good thoughts your way. I am admittedly afraid about going back to work but must say I am really glad I had the surgery and am into the healing process now. The "other side" has its trials and tribulations but you make PROGRESS every day and that is a wonderful feeling.

Hi Dewey, not much to add to what the others have said, totally agree, get rid of that PT, she is no good.
Do whatever it takes, from the powers to be, to have her out of your recovery.
We all know here, slow and steady wins the race, in this case recovery.
Although i have not had tkr's yet, have had many surgeries and understand your apprehension, and lack of concentration, as you stated, your feelings right now is very normal, you would wouldn't be human if you didn't feel this way.
Try to find a way to meditate, and give your self a break, and just try to focus the best you can.
It will all come to a head, once you have had your surgery, then your only job will be to concentrate on healing and recovery with a GENTLE PT.
What helps me to concentrate before big surgeries or any type of serious event, is to make a check list of what needs to be done before hand, and if enough time, take them one at a time slowly.
Looks like you don't have too much time w/the 1st one coming up, you may need to ask help from someone you trust to go over what you need, so you can be prepared.
And I really cant think of any better place then right here at Bonesmart for those items and ideas,also close friends you can trust to help you right now.
I am guessing you got your basics down, like a toilet seat riser, maybe some bars if needed. Prepare your self some meals that will last a few weeks, so you can just pop in the oven, or microwave. Ice machine, or plain old ice gel packs what ever it takes to keep that knee just about constantly iced for awhile. A clipboard(or anything to write on), to write down when you took your meds, and when to take again(also setting the alarm), to stay on top of the pain.
Um maybe a reacher( one of those grabby things).
Too much too list, that others with more experience will come along with more support reassurance and other helpful hints to take care of now ahead of time, to help you have a smooth recovery, and tips to calm your nerves a little so you can concentrate on what needs to be done before hand.
My best to you for a uneventful surgery and recovery, just a smooth and steady pace...take care....Sheryl:flwrysmile:

Dewey it will all be fine - it's kinda like having a baby though - unless you have experienced it you never fully understand what one goes through. Don't worry about what your PT will feel like and pay no attention to the therapist - I wouldn't fire her just yet though because they all feel like you should go for the gusto. She has a job to do and because she more than likely has not had tkr she expects it to hurt and it will but everyone's pain and tolerance of pain is different so you just shouldn't worry about that right now. You need to get through the procedure and progress from there.

In terms of being prepared if you forget something it isn't the end of the world and who knows it may not be something you ultimately end up needing anyway.

Best of luck - it's okay to be anxious and nervous taken an anti-anxiety med or sleep aid if you have any or have a cocktail. I'll be looking for you on the other side.

Leenie

I agree with everything that Leenie said. It will be fine. It's no where near as bad as you think it will be. As I was reading through your latest posts, I thought ," that girl needs a Valium". I don't usually think that but sometimes it's just what the doctor ordered. I meditate and that helped a lot. And Leenie had her TKR just one month ago so she knows what she's talking about. It's all doable, the pain is manageable, and you do get better. The hardest thing I think, is getting muscle strength back and that isn't painful. Hang in there! :SUNsmile:

Hi Dewey,
The waiting seems endless. I know this next week will be hard for you but try and hang on to the fact that it will soon be over and your right knee will be recovering and on its way to being pain free. Look at all the posts from people here who have had sucessful TKR's and remember that for every person posting here there are many more who have had sucessful TKR's and are not on this site. Sending calming thoughts and a hand to hold. I am still waiting (not patiently) for a date for my first TKR so you will be able to help me when I get my date and you will be able to advise from the other side.
We will all be with you on the journey,
Toothfairy
:friends:

Well, pre-op appointment with the surgeon was yesterday. I'm scheduled for the NUMBER ONE spot on Monday morning. We have to be at the hospital at 5:30 and the surgery is at 7:30! I'm so happy to be the first of the morning.

Now....how do I settle down and get in the "just get it done" mode?? I'm extremely nervous, worried, and emotional! My last day with my class is tomorrow, and I'm afraid it will be a tough day. I haven't slept good for a few nights now, and I'm pretty exhausted! I'm trying hard not to get upset at the least little things! I feel like I'm just barely hanging on!! Normal, I'm sure, but this waiting is hard!!!:yikes:

Enjoy your weekend, my friend. Visit with family and friends, do any last minute errands and shopping, catch a movie or go out for a bite to eat. Just think, at this time on Monday, your new knee will be almost a day old. Make yourself as busy as you can. I'm rooting for you! Hugs!

Hi Dewey,
I am delighted to hear you are first on the list. I know you are nervous but try to remember that although the surgery is a big deal for each of us it is just a routine operation for the surgical team and high numbers of these are carried out every day. Look forward to hearing from you on the recovery side and will be looking for lots of advice from you when my turn comes,
big hug, stay calm as you can,
Toothfairy x :friends:

What Toothfairy and Nyland said! Especially the part about this being routine for the surgical team -- they've got this down! Try to have some fun this weekend, maybe that will help get your mind off your worries for awhile. This is the start of something wonderful! :yes!:

Thanks, once again! I'm just trying to hang on......

I wonder when the fear will turn to excitement? I'm anxious and waiting for that!

Just really don't know what to do about a rehab facility. They tell me it's my choice....to go home or to rehab for a few days. I'd like to lessen the load a bit on my husband and allow him to work while I'm in rehab, but I'm sure I'd be more comfortable at home. I've read many, many accounts of people that have just gone home and have done just fine. Just don't know what to do! The nurse told me today that I don't have to make this decision until day 2 after the surgery. Guess I'll see how I'm doing, and how I react to the pain medication and then decide.

Can't believe it's Friday night already. Only 3 more nights in my own bed!

I CAN DO THIS....., right???

Hi Dewey. There is not much I can add to what everyone else has said. I can see you have heaps of support and caring friends here. Sending calming hugs your way and I will be thinking of you. It is good you are first cab off the rank.
I have 3 more weeks to go so the nerves will kick in soon for me to. I find headphones with your favorite music may also help block out some of your fears. Look forward to hearing from you once you are in the recovery side. :angel:

Good luck! Trust your dr's......I have my surgery 2/5; attend the joint replacement class this next Wed....

Best to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member