Encouraged!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
good point! okay...I'll shut the nasty place up!! (who am I kidding??? I can't shut up!!)

Have you possibly ingested a little caffeine today????

Klinger: Thats amazing. At that rate your recovery should go great. Like everyone said, keep your meds handy, use lots of ICE and dont try to set any records or run a marathon yet. Soon, you will get to know us here on this forum. Josephine is the Chief Knee Guru where we all go for help. We all share our good times and bad. Occasionally, you will see one of go into a rant, only to see great words of encouragement from other forum members. Just to give you an idea of what encouragement I got here, I switched Doctors after my TKR and scheduled and appt.with a pain management Doctor as my OS didnt seem to want to give me adequite pain management. I see the new Dr at 3 pm tomorrow. So hang in there and keep us informed.
Godspeed in your recovery,
Chuck T-man

Good luck with your new Doc bro.

Hey Klinger, I see you are online, just getting up for the day there in the UK? Early riser or can't sleep? I haven't had any sleep so far, been trying for an hour and a half. Just taken another half a Percocet to see if it helps, so waiting for it to work. It's almost 1.30am now here. Thais is the second really bad night! Hope it gets better again so, get so emotional when I can't get enough sleep. Pre op I needed 5 hrs. Since the op my most is 3 hrs.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I should go back to bed in a minute, the half pill has begun to work. Sue

It does get better. I've slept most of the night for the past three nights. Still have the usual bathroom stops but that's a norm.

Thanks Doug, I look forward to that time. I totalled one and a half hours last night, so that is double the night before, so things are looking up.

Going for any walks today. I am off to phsio later this morning, so I think I will head back to bed soon for another hour or so, my hubby turned the ringer off for me as he left for work just now, he is so sweet and concerned, oh dear now I'm crying again!!

Anyway, thanks again. By the way your dogs look really cute, hope they are both doing well now.

Believe me I know the problem of getting a nights sleep. Before I retired from police work, it was very common for me to get calls at night which resulted in me either getting in uniform and going out or making other calls. But I was still expected to be in the office at 8a.m. It went on for years.
The sleeplessness from this TKR was just a reminder of those days . Like I said in one of the other posts, I got to the point that I would just sit up an laugh at it. Say oh well, and go do something. The more you stress over sleep, the harder it is to go to sleep.
After my great walk yesterday, I'm having a horrible knee day today. I just got back from the gym and just couldn't get into it at all. I got the bike seat down low but it hurt like crazy..I finished up. I guess I respond differently to physical challenges. I get real mad and push harder. So now I pay for it with a swollen knee, an ice pack, and a morning pill.
Looks like all of our other pen pals must have gone to work today.

Thanks again Doug. Actually I remember sleepless times too, but it was many moons ago now. When I was on night duty, while I was nursing in the 70's, I could never sleep during the day, I can remember crawling up the stairs to bed. I used to work 10 nights on 4 days off at the time. Even the sleepers I had never worked, so I gave up. Thank goodness I was lucky enough to have 3 babies who never once woke for a night feed, I did actually say to them all when they were born "Please don't wake me up in the night as you wouldn't like me". They were always good sleepers, 2 naps a day and bed by 6pm and awake at 7am, from about 3 months. Sorry I digress...

Sorry you are having a bad knee day. I did that earlier on, about 4 weeks I think. I suffered for a day and a half, it seems we can't win eh?

Anyway, better run (ha....ha) and get in the shower, my friend will be here to pick me up for physio soon.

Beachcomber is having the morning off today so is having a laie in. I guess the others are working yes.

Hope someone come along to chat with you soon. Sue

Doug, I remember those calls all hours of the night from the Station or a uniformed guy on the street calling for a Detective. I sure DONT miss that and so happy to be retired. I hope you have a good day today but I see you are like me...always pushing it! Be safe and stay strong!
Chuck

I sure am glad you all checked in, I was feeling abandoned. Today is my 7 week post op anniversary.

Are you guys having very much swelling when you walk or work out hard??

Absolutely~ when I work for 2 or 3 hours and then go to PT,
my knee is 3x the size of my "good knee". When I sit for lengthy periods of time, it swells up until I have the good sense to ice it. Congratulations on your anniversary!

Thanks....It sure is one heck of a thing to celebrate isn't it? I'm sure I made the right decision on having the TKR, I just get frustrated with the bad days. But it really is like Gatiger said a few weeks ago. "Recovery is like the stock market, up and down".

I don't SEE the swelling Doug, but it FEELS like it is the size of a football. The doc told me yesterday that, that would go away in time.

I will be 9 weeks tomorrow, I won't be able to keep track of this week thing after next Friday my left will be 10 weeks my right will be brand new...goodness how will I ever be able to post on two different knees? OH well, my knee does swell up when I walk alot, but Doug your idea of walking alot is much more intense then mine. I don't do the mall thing. I am so happy just to be able to do my job, tried the Home Depot thing last weekend, not so much fun, had to sit down, leave sooner than I intended, come home and ice it down.

Doug, glad you brought this up...at the end of the day I have swelling and when I compare the TKR knee to the other knee, its almost twice the size. I have also noticed that the swelling does not really cause any more pain or discomfort. I have been told it will take some time for the TKR knee to get back to its "normal" size. So as long as I'm not in any additional pain, I am trusting that time will heal the swelling. I still enjoy the spa at the end of the day and find it the most relaxing treatment. It also allows me to do additional stretching...seems the muscles are more strechable when warmed up. I must admit, I dont ice the knee like I should.
Respects,
Chuck

Since I'm going back to work next week, I've been trying to just act 'normal', you know, do stuff that I need to do around here, go to the store, pidle with my bike. I'm trying to do it without the pills and 'the ice time-outs', but I may be expecting too much again. Its not even lunch yet and I feel like 'nap-time'. Then, I feel like a dumba$$, but man this has been 10 weeks and I want to move on with stuff. Know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom