THR Ellie’s THR Bonanza

EllieBelly

Country
Canada Canada
Hello, I just had my right hip replaced two days ago on Thursday June 9. Went home the same day and apparently all went well, didn’t feel too bad. The next morning after waking I bled through my Aquacel dressing in 4 hours, called the post surgical wellness clinic and they told me to change it to the only other dressing I was given (which was supposed to be changed in 7 days). Bled through that one in about 1 hour. And so it went all day, completely soaking through every dressing so we went to the emergency room at 4pm. Spent 6 hours there, bleeding everywhere, only to be told this is normal and should stop… no help.

Didn’t stop overnight, went to a different (larger and better) emergency this morning and had a much shorter wait at least. They also didn’t seem that concerned but agreed it was a lot of blood. They did a blood panel to make sure I hadn’t lost too much blood, though without baseline they still don’t actually know. Changed my dressing and told me to monitor for the next two days. How is this not a bigger deal?? You can see there is only only section of the incision that is very steadily and continually bleeding and has been for 36 hours now, how is that normal? It’s not draining anything else, just bright red blood.

I’m extremely frustrated and upset at how horrible I’m feeling and that there seems to be no help. I may be getting a nurse to come in for the next few days to check on it and change dressings for me but that won’t even happen until tomorrow night at the earliest.

I now have a low grade fever which I’m monitoring. No other signs of infection I don’t think, the incision is super sore because it’s been exposed and covered at least 20 times in the last day and a half.

Also question about swelling, I have a little but nothing too alarming, though my inner thigh is very tender, kind of lumpy and the skin is a bit raised kind of like a giant hive more than general swelling. Does that sound like regular post surgery swelling?

I think I’m done my rant, thanks for reading. Feeling hopeless.

Attachments

• F38B181C-6C2B-4304-B135-698B4990E02B.jpeg
    F38B181C-6C2B-4304-B135-698B4990E02B.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 141
Hello EllieBelly,
I am so sorry you’re off to such a rough start. I’m sure bleeding through bandages is somewhat unnerving. In addition, the need to make trips to two different Emergency Rooms is a lot of stress and activity for only two days post op. I’m assuming both ER’s checked your vitals, heart rate, breathing, BP and questioned you. I think having a nurse stopping by to check on you for a few days, beginning tomorrow evening is a great idea, especially for guidance and your peace of mind.

In regard to fever - It is normal. A low grade fever (less than 101.5 F) during the first week after surgery is a normal response by the body to the stress of surgery. It is most often caused by inflammatory response to the tissue injury sustained during surgery. After the first week if you have a fever that lingers for more than a few days, or if a fever over 101.5 F begins several days after surgery, it's recommended that you contact your physician to rule out the possibility of anything serious.

Swelling varies from person to person. I wonder if the welt type bump is an allergic reaction to some type of medication? Possibly icing will help. I would touch base with the surgeon’s office on Monday and update them on your symptoms if there‘s no improvement. I’m sure the nurse will offer guidance on whether she feels it necessary you contact your surgeon or care team.

I wish you comfort and hope the bleeding eases soon. :console2: Please stay in touch with updates. We’ll be here and we care.
@EllieBelly

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Also question about swelling, I have a little but nothing too alarming, though my inner thigh is very tender, kind of lumpy and the skin is a bit raised kind of like a giant hive more than general swelling. Does that sound like regular post surgery swelling?
Hi EllieBelly,
I am at Day 10 of my THR surgery. The swelling for me is in the hip and upper thigh. I first noticed it when I got home and was preparing to take my first post op shower. In the mirror it looks like I have scoliosis, with a huge hard lump the size of half a small papaya at the side just under my waist level. It does seem to be slowly subsiding, and I am applying Hirudoid on the skin surrounding the incision area.
Sorry to hear about the bleeding, it must be upsetting and so worrying. Hope it eases soon.

Thank you Layla. Yes you’re exactly right, the stress on my body jumping from visit to visit hasn’t even allowed me to start healing well yet. Fingers crossed I can stay home for a bit now and have things settle.

So no one thinks it looks like a DVT forming?? Considering how much I’m bleeding it’s kind of ironic I’m so worried about blood clots.

Thanks again for the words of support, I’ll update once a nurse comes to see me and see how the bleeding is doing.

Hi EllieBelly,
I am at Day 10 of my THR surgery. The swelling for me is in the hip and upper thigh. I first noticed it when I got home and was preparing to take my first post op shower. In the mirror it looks like I have scoliosis, with a huge hard lump the size of half a small papaya at the side just under my waist level. It does seem to be slowly subsiding, and I am applying Hirudoid on the skin surrounding the incision area.
Sorry to hear about the bleeding, it must be upsetting and so worrying. Hope it eases soon.
Ah interesting. I’ll keep an eye out for any other forming lumps. The bleeding is definitely worrying, but I’m also worried about how not worried people at the hospital seem to be. Very confusing!

Best of luck with continued recovery, I hope it goes as smooth as possible!

So no one thinks it looks like a DVT forming?? Considering how much I’m bleeding it’s kind of ironic I’m so worried about blood clots.
EllieBelly, Try to take comfort in the fact that you’ve had multiple medical professionals check you due to the bleeding and your concerns. Onviously they checked your vitals and I’m sure asked you questions to determine whether you had any concerning symptoms. If you’re following your surgeon’s protocol for blood clot prevention it greatly decreases the risk of DVT.

The best way to prevent blood clots is through movement after surgery. Simple ankle pumps are good as well as a walk around the house every hour or so. A trip to the bathroom or kitchen for a snack or drink will cover that. While it’s not that easy, even just standing and moving for a couple minutes can really help push blood through your body.

Staying hydrated is important so drink lots of water.
Symptoms to watch for -
Sudden chest pain, shortness of breath, painful breathing, chest tightness, new cough.
Pain in your calf when you outstretch your op leg and point your toes upward. My surgeons PA explained that one to me.
Red or discolored skin.
Veins that stick out.
Unusual pain or tenderness that is unrelated to your incision.

I hope you’re able to relax and get some restorative rest tonight. Let us know how you’re doing tomorrow.
Hugs
@EllieBelly

I can see why you are in a state about this, it’s very overwhelming. I hope you feel better after the replies above and I just wanted to send you a hug.

Thanks everyone! I got a bit of sleep last night, haven’t bled through this dressing yet so the bleeding must have slowed! Hooray. Feeling a little more confident now, I really appreciate the reassurances.

I am definitely going to take it really easy and catch up on the first two days post op that should have been more restful than they were. I know they want you to move as soon as is comfortable but I feel like they pushed the exercising a bit fast…I enjoyed reading those resources here that seem to put a more realistic view on what movement and PT can look like especially this early on.

Glad you got some sleep and are feeling more relaxed.
Do try to follow the Activity Progression for THR at the least because you do want to keep that blood flowing. Ankle pumps while sitting and lying down also. The activity suggested is pretty minimal the first week and certainly tolerable. Then rest, ice and elevate in between. I hope today is a good one EllieB! :SUNsmile:
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

It’s a much better one! The nurse came by and checked the dressing, it’s been cleaned and changed. The bleeding has stopped and a large scab formed, so hooray! She’s coming back tomorrow to check on the scab and make sure the bleeding is completely stopped and healing can continue. I’m feeling a lot more taken care of and mentally better as well. The inner thigh…thing…is still a mystery to everyone it seems. Fingers crossed it’s just a weird bruise and on it’s way out. Will tell the surgical clinic about it tomorrow.

I also never thought I’d be telling internet strangers about my scabs, I guess that’s how strangers become friends :)

I love your update! I can tell you’re feeling better and more confident in your recovery. Recovery can cause some anxiety since we wonder about every little sensation we feel. At least I did early on as they cropped up. The crazy thing is most of the odd pains and sensations are short lived, quickly replaced by another. I quit worrying after awhile figuring whatever “it”was, it would probably be gone by the next day. I told myself I’ld only worry and make a phone call to my surgeons office if something questionable was increasing in frequency and intensity. I came here a lot for the little stuff and always seemed to find someone who could relate. I’m happy you’re doing better. :)
@EllieBelly

@EllieBelly happy to hear you're feeling a bit better and that the bleeding has stopped. Its crazy the things we experience during our recoveries that make us worry. Like Layla says, seems no sooner does one go away and another appears. The nice thing is there is probably someone here that's been there, done that and it's all pretty much temporary. Rest, relax, elevate and ice, you definitely deserve it after your first few days.

Gosh, sorry that your first day or so in your recovery was so stressful, I would have been worried too! Glad to read that you are feeling better and that the bleeding is under control.

Now maybe you can remain home and relax so you can focus on your healing.
Happy icing! :ice:

Whoa reading about all your bleeding was making me very worried for you! I was also wondering why all the places were so calm about it??? I would have been very concerned. Good for you for keeping your cool. I am so glad that you are finally feeling better and can at least rest assured that you are finally on your way to recovery!

Hi @EllieBelly
How are you doing? I hope the last couple days have been better than expected, your pain is well managed, the bleeding has stopped and your inner thigh is returning to normal. If not, it’s still early days into the healing process and all will begin falling into place. With any luck you’re reasonably comfortable. :fingersx:
Take good care!

Yes please give us an update! Hoping your wound is healing and you're comfortably relaxing at home with no more trips to the ER.

Hello!!

Thanks for checking in. I am definitely doing much better. Had a horribly sweaty feverish night on Tuesday followed by dizziness and nausea but then slept much better last night and today has been so good.

No bleeding, no ER trips, the inner thigh bruise is somehow the most painful part of this situation right now haha but it is nothing more than an ugly mean deep bruise.

I’ve got some pain now from increased movement I imagine so am taking it super easy the rest of the night and icing heavily. It feels good to be on what feels like a regular road to recovery, paved with less blood.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom