TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Hi @SuperSnapper - good to hear from you, how are you?
As you've seen, my knees are brilliant, I'm walking, cycling and even climbing mountains (small ones).
At this very moment I'm sitting in a very familiar position in my recliner, foot raised on cushions....I've just had a steroid injection into my big toe joint. My thumb and toe joints are deteriorating due to arthritis, these injections definitely help. My toe was lucky, it got a 'choose & book' referral so I chose a local BMI hospital, but my poor thumbs only got a referral for the NHS, so they have had to wait from the initial GPs appointment in March until the end of October when I can see a radiologist.
I have been catching up with your posts - I see you've been having lots of trouble with your hands, have you decided to go for the op on your thumb? How is your other knee now? Will that be replaced this year?

Hi @Elljay

Sorry to hear about the toes and thumb. But great news on how good your knees are. Not sure I could climb Helvelyn. My husband just did the Yorkshire 3 Peaks in 9 hours and 47 minutes and puts me to shame!

This arthritis is a bummer. My hands are starting to get quite bad now and get very achy. I think I may decide to get the thumb done in the autumn and, although my new knee is great, the other one is beginning to get worse as the surgeon said it would. I am putting that off though for the time being.

I can have the thumb done as I am in the system as long as I book the surgery before October. I asked if my thumb would get worse and the consultant shook hid head and said, "No, that's as bad as it can get!" I only have pain intermittently but it's getting more often and I think, cos I favour it, it is affecting the finger joints too.

My feet ache too from time to time but not bad. Ouch your toe! I don't like the sound of those injections but if they help, why not have them.

What a tale of misery! Life's pretty good really and I am still running my walking group and getting out and about taking photos and am pretty involved with our local U3A. Are you still caravanning? We've been thinking of getting another one but not sure. I do miss the freedom it gives you.

How are all the grandchildren developing? I expect you, like us, come in for quite a bit of babysitting but we love it and they have brought us so much fun over the last 12 years. Our oldest has been diagnosed with high functioning Aspergers so will have some difficult times ahead but she's doing really well at school and is not much different to an ordinary teenager except she finds friendships tricky. Fortunately, she's bright and has a good sense of fun so we hope she'll be able to cope.

Anyway, keep in touch and I hope the injection helps.

Mary xxx

Hello and Happy New Year to all Bonesmarties, and particularly to anyone who remembers me. I meant to post this yesterday -my three year anniversary - :wowspring:- but I forgot! How did that happen, three years!!?? Both knees (even the 'baby' at just over 2 years) are absolutely fine, I never give them a thought these days, I can just get on with whatever life throws at me. My big toes and thumb joints are playing up a bit, but cortisone injections are helping me to cope at the moment.
I hope that all my 'old' friends are well, and to any new kneebies reading this - I know its horrid at the moment, but IT REALLY DOES GET BETTER!!! :flwrysmile:

Happy to hear how great you are doing! Great post so encouraging for our members who are still healing.

Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart[emoji768]
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014

@Ellejay How lovely to read your message and I am so glad you are doing well. It's over two years since you encouraged me with my own recovery - seems longer but the knee is fantastic! I hardly ever think about it but the other is playing up and will have to be done at some point.

Apart from that life is fine and you are right IT REALLY DOES GET BETTER!!!!!

Mary x

@SuperSnapper - how lovely to hear from you Mary, and with such good news about your knee. Sorry that the other is now playing up, I felt that I'd rather get both knee replacements out of the way a) so I could have the same surgeon, b) so the main recovery for both would be over as quickly as possible, c) whilst I'm still young enough for a quick recovery and d) whilst the ailing NHS would still pay for them. Good luck when you do decide, do let me know so I can offer sympathy and support on this site.
Lyn xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom