THR Elf1 Recovery Road

So sorry you have been in pain @Elf1 Fingers crossed the cortisone injection kicks in and gives you relief. Ice baby ice. Hope you have a pain free weekend.

Thanks for the good thoughts and vibes! Yes, the new primary is a keeper, very easy to talk to and really listens. Been hanging out with my ice packs and just chilling since I came home yesterday. Keeping fingers crossed :fingersx:

@Calgal doc said us gals are more susceptible, in general, because our hips are wider so there is much greater area that can be irritated.

Getting ready to head out to the store for a few things, later! Have to get a few more of these fun emojis in before they go away!

:banana-santa::banana-santa::santa-dance::santa-dance::xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon::xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon::xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon::xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:

Happy Saturday to you! :wave:
Sorry you are struggling with Trochanteric Bursitis. I hope the injection kicks in soon bringing you relief. Women are more susceptible....aren't we lucky? :sad:
Enjoy today's outing to the store, and the rest of the weekend.
Roll on 2020 we're ready for new beginnings! :yes!:
@Elf1

Hi @Elf1 :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:

I am catching up with my friends' journals and I'm seeing you had a cortisone injection from your GP. Wow! He does sound like a keeper. How is your pain level today? I would say that time is going to be the best healer in this regard, although the cortisone does help with inflammation.

I had a nasty tendonitis with my first hip that only time cured. Takes a lot of patience and TLC but it did get better. Having Bonesmart helped me be assured that it was nothing that was damaged in there, just what happened during my surgery. Then, when I started living my life, I aggravated certain areas that were manhandled.

I do hope that things settle down quickly and that you and your family enjoy a Happy & Healthy 2020!

Yep, I'm liking this new GP even if I'm not real thrilled with some of the silliness of the bigger health organization. I think the shot is starting to kick in a little, he does straight cortisone, so no immediate relief. Am trying to take it slow and easy but really want to up my activity level so will probably start hitting the pool again. I think you're right, part of this is just going to take time.

Plan to start the new year off quietly, in the safety of our snug little home with our fur babies! We have up going out years ago.

Oh, been meaning to add this update though it has nothing to do with my recovery, well it does sorta! :snork: We are going to be grandparents again, this time to twin boys, just found out the gender last night! :banana-santa::banana-santa: So, going to need that new hip more than ever to chase them around!

Thanks for checking in on me, you and yours have a happy and healthy new year! And to all our other hippie buddies:

:banana-santa::happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4::banana-santa:

Plan to start the new year off quietly, in the safety of our snug little home

Me too! We're getting old! I can say that as we're the same age, lol.
Have a good one and many blessings to you in the New Year!

PS two new baby boys....how exciting! You're going to love that, won't even have to share with hubs. You'll each get one and then once in awhile do a switcheroo!

:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
@Elf1

Oh, been meaning to add this update though it has nothing to do with my recovery, well it does sorta! :snork: We are going to be grandparents again, this time to twin boys, just found out the gender last night! :banana-santa::banana-santa: So, going to need that new hip more than ever to chase them around!

Grand babies are the best, congratulations! :happydance:

Congratulations @Elf1 on your new grand baby twins for 2020! How exciting for your family. :angel: :angel:
I do hope the cortisone shot helps your pain and you can get back to the pool. :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

@Debru4 figured I'd answer you from my thread so we didn't hijack @lotusbuds thread. There are supposedly tons of things that can cause trochanteric bursitis, and actually read some info from an OS blog recently that as females, sometimes we just looked cross eyed and seem to get it! :rotfl:

But seriously, from what my Primary Doc explained, our hips are wider so there is more area for muscles and tendons to rub on the trochanteric, causing the pain. He actually backs up the info from this blog. Sometimes it's over activity, think athletes especially, sometimes it's a side effect of hip replacement, etc.

Usually the shot is given right at the trochanteric bursa, I believe, usually under the fluroscope ( I think that's it, live X-Ray). Doc was trying to be helpful and just kind of felt around until he kind of hit the area that hurt the most and gave me a quick cortisone shot, no numbing agent, just the cortisone. He was hoping to give me some relief until I see the OS on the 28th. Unfortunately, we're a little over a week out and don't think I'm seeing much relief. And I'm thinking there may be a bit more going on but trying not to speculate and make myself crazy.

On a good note, I finally made it back to the pool today! :swim:. Such bliss, the water was warm and I had the whole pool to myself until about 2 minutes before I was set to get out!

Excited for you @Elf1 for your twin grandsons! Hoping your hip settles so you can enjoy their arrivals with no physical limitations. Half a year to go on soft tissue and nerves improvements. I definitely felt tissue improvements in months 6 through 8, so try not to worry before you see your OS. Dr. Goggle never provides comfort as you know.

Hi, I’ve had trochanteric bursitis. Have gotten the cortisone injections from the only 2 OSs I’ve trusted to operate on my knees. Both used a numbing spray first, and mixed it w a numbing agent. Both also spend a very long time finding the spot, and the shot doesn’t hurt, but I can feel the stuff slowly going in and the doc moving the needle to direct the flow. The relief time can be longer for me, depending on how inflamed the bursa was. Both docs say it is common after repetitive motion. (I used an upright elliptical years ago, and my hip bursa hated that—same with the arc.) When it is given in soft tissue like a bursa, they said, they don’t need to use ultrasound (like for a joint). The nurse of one told me sometimes a followup booster is needed.
Your pool sounds like a wonderful addition. I do deep water walking and always end by just letting my hips/lower body hang and relax for a minute or two.

Hello! Congrats on the babies!! Little boys! You must be over the moon. :roseshwr: You are right, this news is indeed part of your recovery, we are here to get you up and running for this big event..
I'm sorry that the injection isn't giving you immediate relief. Have you talked to your Dr yet? I wonder if or when you could follow up with another injection? I'm not familiar with Trochanteric Bursitis other than from hearing others saying that it can be tough to beat. But maybe it's like Marieltha said, that an immediate booster shot is needed?
6 months, you still have a lot of healing going on-excuse me- we both have a lot of healing going on! I'm still reminded occasionally of that.

Hang in there! :flwrysmile:

@marieltha thanks for the info, I'm thinking a booster may be a good idea as well. I am seeing some improvement but it's still not where I want it to be.

Will be seeing my OS on the 28th, his nurse has been told about the GPs diagnosis and the shot. Will probably shoot her another email prior to appointment if I'm still feeling like a booster is needed. Not sure my OS actually does these injections or not, he seems to be bone and implant focused. We'll see.

The pool has been awesome, they are shutting it down for the weekend to do maintenance so won't get back to it until Monday. I was just kind of hanging off a pool noodle and floating for the last five minutes yesterday, pure bliss!

@CricketHip I know, still lots of healing to do at 6 months which is why I didn't complain too much about this earlier. When they cancelled my OS appointment in December is when I said ok, talking to my GP.

Twins how wonderful,double trouble all in one go! congratulations, Ooh bursitis is soo painful,i had it in my other hip and was sure i must have infection the pain was so bad,i had injection done under xray and slowly it went away so hope you have the same help---a pool and warmth sounds bliss!xx

@Elf1 ... I'm just catching up with the Trochanteric Bursitis ... I think I had that ... then it stopped and then I think I got some flaring up of the IT band.

Here's hoping the shot brings you some relief. I think I overdid it (again!) ... with exercise the past week or so ... and feeling a pinch of soreness in that trochanteric bursitis area ...

Glad you are enjoying the pool and congrats on (another round of) Grandparenthood!

Happy Sunday!
Hope you are able to get back to the pool for a relaxing float tomorrow. :swim:
I'm sorry you're hurting with the bursitis. Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.
@Elf1

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member