THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Oh, I hope that your first night on your new mattress is comfortable and you get a solid night's sleep. Mattresses are SO expensive but, boy, when you find one that works for you, it really makes all the difference in the world. I love mine, and I am always so grateful when we come home from overnight stays someplace else and I can get into my own bed (and with my own pillow) for the night--big, happy sigh of relief! Sweet dreams, @Elf1!

Hope you got a restful night's sleep ...hopefully you sleep in today...:alarm:

Last edited:
How's that new bed treating you, Elf?
Is it an adjustment, or just wonderful and you and hubs have
been sleeping like babies? :sleep: :sleep:
@Elf1

@Barbaraj, @Mojo333 and @Layla so far so good with the new mattress. We're still getting used to it but luckily we pretty much figured out what our number was when we tried it out at the store. Doing a few tweaks here and there but it's a definite improvement over the one they took away! :alarm:

@Elf1

Catching up on your thread and progress. Glad to see a variety of "things" are going your way now. Entertaining is difficult enough when you are healthy but after major surgery that is a workout in itself. Forget about Zumba. :walking:

Oktoberfest? Well, I have had my fair share of beer at the German club lately. The club just had their Oktoberfest too - it is that time of year. :cheers:

And leave the stuff on the kitchen counter. That is partly why we have kitchen counters, isn't it????? :snork:

Glad you are enjoying the new mattress! My sister has one and loves it.
I read earlier on your thread that you think your stamina is still low. I'm curious, on what you base that on? We are fairly close in our surgeries and would like your feedback on that. Do you still get episodes of energy drain?

@CricketHip I just don't feel like I'm back to "normal" quite yet. Realize I'm not even close to 100% but just think I should have more energy. It may just be my perception, I mean I was rocking and rolling the week prior and day of Oktoberfest and didn't really have any setbacks. But I do occasionally still take a nap in the afternoon but, that could just be a combination of age and boredom! :snork:

I guess I just keep forgetting that it will take time to build everything back up. Need to get back to the pool and putz around in there on a regular basis. I've been concentrating on putting some of the house back together after surgery and not taking time to do the things I actually like. :SUNsmile:

@swimmer77 we do an Oktoberfest every year at our house. We used to do Labor Day but still too stinking hot here so opted for later in the year. Things are actually going quite well overall, just think I'm at that impatient point in recovery, not really noticing any major changes at the moment. It's all good.

@Elf1 From reading on Bonesmart, and having just finished my first pole trekking in my yard, I think we have some muscle that were not functioning well before surgery, and after surgery, besides healing, muscles are working or trying to work better than they did before surgery. I think that helps contribute to fatigue.

:hi:
Good to hear the bed is working out for you and hubs, already knowing your sleep number when it arrived. A good spot to enjoy the occasional afternoon
naps until you're feeling more consistently energized. It will come. :yes:
Have a wonderful Thursday! :)
@Elf1

Well, even if you're not totally adjusted to the new mattress yet, @Elf1, it does sound as if it's a huge improvement over the old one. But adjusting to our new hip(s) and rebuilding strength, agility and endurance is going to take a long time, too. Sometimes when things are skipping along easily we tend to forget we're all in this for the long haul and this middle phase of recovery can be boring and irritating as we don't see huge improvements. But, slow but surely we are getting better, right? Hang in there!

Hello and a Happy Wednesday afternoon to you!
Hopefully the bed is feeling "just right" by now.

I like the green you're sportin on your avatar these days, it becomes you. :wink:
Congrats! Well deserved!
Both you and Going4Fun will be an asset to BoneSmart.
Wishing you a lovely evening!
@Elf1

@Layla and @ceezee thank you! Yep, the mattress is getting better everyday!

Have a batch of Italian Wedding Soup on the stove, going to heat up some bread that I bought at the store yesterday, make salad to go with it and chill out once I get this last load of laundry out of the dryer. Have a great evening as well!

We’re also thinking about getting a new mattress. Right now we’re on authentic Japanese beds that I imported from Japan. But I’m afraid they may be to hard to lay on with my new hips. I’ve been camping out in the spare bedroom (since May) which has a “normal” american bed so as not to totally disrupt my husbands sleep as I toss and turn plus when get up during the night. But now I’m better.

so many choices.....how the heck did you decide?

Yumm, sounds good @Elf1 I love Mexican Wedding Soup. Looking forward to making some soups and chili. We always take a break from them when it’s warmer out.

@ceezee it was a long process and we did a lot of research. We were read up on mattresses on consumer reports the last couple of years. We went to numerous places and tried out different mattresses and asked friends and family what they had and why they liked it. I kept dragging my feet because of cost and it's basically a blow up mattress. After trying ones comparable from other companies/stores and then going in and trying various ones at the store.

@ceezee I am thinking about a new mattress, too. I have a pillow top mattress. Originally the firmer edge was good for doing some PT stretching exercises with a looped strap, but now getting in and out irritates my worse hip, too much. The “pillow top” sunk over time and now I feel like I am in a semi-cocoon.
I had one of those space age foam mattresses for 9 years that Costco sells in a heavy box, and then it expands. That was not setting well with my back over time. I do not know what the answer is.
@Elf1 I agree, it’s a process to find a new mattress. Now I know how a sleep number bed works! Glad you are enjoying your new bed. For now my tilt recliner works.

I guess the good thing now is the mattress companies let you try it a home for at least month before you have to decide to keep it.

The people I know who got the ones that expand when you open the package don’t like them after a few months. The others are very expensive.

And I sleep hot and my husband sleeps cold. And now I sleep like a whirling dervish. :happydance: And we have two dogs on the bed. At least the platform base is for a king.

:gaah:

@ceezee I forgot about some companies offering a 30 day trial. Thank you!I think I will need to take a new survey of friends to see if there is any consensus, similar to Elf1.
Oh my, with your two tall dogs, that bed gets cozy! My Pierre is not happy I am in a recliner, so once in a while I go back to the bed for a bit, so he can snuggle, to the dismay of my hip.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back