THR Elf1 Recovery Road

@Layla I won't be wearing traditional German attire, most of my clothing from when we lived there is sweaters that I would keel over in with the heat! :snork:. My hubby and some of the guys will probably be wearing their kilts though, any excuse to break them out! We do actually have some of the huge real beer steins but don't break them out anymore. We've mellowed some in our shall we say more mature years. Will have brats, broetchen and goulash soup on our end and whatever else the rest of the crew bring.

@Barbaraj the crew is really good about offering to help, I'm just usually too stubborn to accept it. This year will be different, will be grabbing whomever walks by and putting stuff in their hands. Also get to help celebrate our twin granddaughters 5th birthday that day, DIL is bringing cake or cupcakes. So happy she wants to include us as relationship with son is a bit different but our DIL keeps us in the loop as much as possible.

@VSlowLife we have a German bakery not to far from the house that I order broetchen and pretzel balls through every year. Altogether I spent 10years or so in Germany and went over a few times before living there for military exercises. Loved the living there part, exercises not so much, but was time to come back home. I think the hubby pays more attention to St Martin's and some of the other European type holidays. Have German heritage so grew up eating what I came to know as German food, same with Polish/ Lithuanian! :heehee:

My dad was stationed at Ramstein for 5 1/2 years...and I really miss authentic weinerschnitzel
It is my favorite...

@Mojo333 and hanchen cordon bleu! Chicken cordon bleu for those not having been there.
:chuckmarch:

@Elf1 In my opinion, the Europeans know how to enjoy life more, than Americans, and take more time off to enjoy life. You are so lucky you got to experience it for such a long while. Is your husband Polish/Lithuanian?

@VSlowLife, no that stuff comes from my grandparents. German on one side and Slovenian and Lithuanian on the other and a little bit of good old American! :snork:

There are pros and cons to the European way of life. The Germans I worked with basically lost half of their paycheck when they converted from Deutschmarks to Euros, it was really ugly, felt bad for them. They do get a whole lot more time off than we do but their paychecks are also taxed at like 40%! They are paying for all the so called bennies they get, and paying deeply.

@Elf1 Ouch! I had no idea the switch caused so much devaluation . 40% is a pretty good chunk. And there is a vax tax, I think maybe 20% on clothing to help pay for healthcare? University maybe free. And you can stay home longer with your baby. Pluses and minuses.
We have something in common, I am 100% Lithuanian-American. My family came over more than 100 years ago.

@Elf1 Sounds like things are progressing really well for you. And how fun to look forward to your Oktoberfest party Oct. 12. I know it's hot down there, but no snow coming. lol. Our winter seems so long, and the older I get the longer it gets. Hope that cool front comes soon, but
NO SNOW. lol

Hi, @Elf1 Hope your day is going well, and maybe cooler temperatures as I think it would be weird to have an Oktoberfest celebration when it's raging summer heat! The food sounds like it's going to be great, but I'd have a tough time as I don't like beer (or any carbonated beverages). Do these kind of festivals also feature wine for the beer weenies?

Oh...you LIVED there? How cool! Brats are always good. I had to look up Broetchen. Do you make it yourself? Goulash....is it the kind they sell at churches and VFW's in the Fall? If so, that's yummy too. I'll bet you'll have a blast now that you're getting around with your new hip and now longer in pain. Don't be getting too wild on us though, :beer: :spin:
Have a great evening!
@Elf1

@Barbaraj I have to laugh about the weather, they keep saying a cold front is headed our way, going to go down to a cool 84 on Monday! :snork:

We always have bottled water and there is usually wine around the house. I think I actually have a few bottles left from Germany, not sure how good they'd be!

Just been kind of laying low lately since the OS appointment and he said I may have some bursitis. Not sure if that's it or just need to do more, feel like I don't do anywhere near enough walking.

@Layla I don't make the broetchen (rolls), get them from the bakery that's not too far. I do make my own goulash soup though, yum!

I caught the bus from the small town we lived by before we moved on base right in front of a bakery.
Every morning the fresh broetchen was wafting out the storefront....yum scrum.

Ugh, @Elf1 I am not sure what bursitis is or how it feels, but I'm guessing it's painful and would put a crimp in your activity level. Is it something that will resolve on its own or is treatment required? I think you're pretty tuned in to your body, so if it feels like you should be easing up on activity, I think that makes sense for now. You've got plenty of time ahead to work harder--sometimes taking a break is the best thing. Although with your big party coming up next weekend, I am guessing you're not really and truly taking much of break. Hope you feel better/stronger today--happy Friday!

Stopping by to say Hi :wave:
Wishing you sunny skies, cooler temps and comfort from bursitis. Hopefully it eases quickly.
Have a wonderful weekend!
@Elf1

@Barbaraj and @Layla, not really sure if it's bursitis or not, the OS didn't really go into much about it. I'm hoping/thinking it just might be the muscles and tendons still healing and every now and then they rub the wrong way. I was reading and thought it might be trochanteric bursitis but not sure as it seems to move around. Will continue to keep an eye on it, not doing much beside walking and ice though sometimes that makes it worse, like frostbite, so use heat occasionally and lidocaine patches or Salon Pass patches. If it gets to the point that the pain gets worse and really starts slowing me down I'll go see my primary doc.

Thanks for thinking of me. Sunny today, supposed to be about 93, see various reports for the 2nd cold front that's supposed to hit Sunday. Keeping fingers crossed, even if only down to the 80s. :beer:

It has been hotter than all get out here too ...97 degrees yesterday and we need that cool down too.
And rain.
It's so dry the trees are bribing the dogs.:loll:
Hope it cools down so you can get out and about more comfortably.
Have a great weekend, friend!!

:hi: Hi @Elf1
Hopefully it's not bursitis and just a part of the healing process.
With any luck the remedies you're using will keep the pain manageable and it slowly eases until it's GONE!

You can whoosh some of your cold weather up North, my way. Cold, rainy and yucky here today. I hope you get the cool down that was predicted.
Happy Saturday...enjoy your day! :)

Boy, I'll take your "cool down" of 80 degrees, @Elf1 We haven't seen 80's since August, and twice as much rain as normal in September. I know 90's must be miserable but sunshine and warmth sound so pleasant to me. Keep on moving slowly and carefully, I hope the tendonitis/bursitis/whatever eases up soon--doesn't sound like fun. But you seem to have a fairly calm and realistic approach that even if it takes more time, you will get through it. Here's to all of our pain-free days ahead!

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Elf!
I hope you had a nice weekend and this week is off to a great start.
Thanks for your continued support here. You're a sweet one. :yes:
Hugs :friends:
@Elf1

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is