THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Oh so happy that you have been given a great report re your kidneys. It is giving me pause considering my own use of advil considering the pain I have--thought it would be over after hip surgery but you know the other stuff. Oh it sounds like your trajectory is upward and onward.Just so happy for you. Think they will find a 'cure' for arthritis?

What a wonderful upgrade and blessing to receive @Elf1
Couldn't happen to a sweeter lady.
Hope today is a good day!

Nice news, @Elf1 to get regarding your kidneys! You are really doing well, and hard to believe that Monday it will be 11 weeks since hip replacement. Just look at how far you've come. Are things back to 100%? Of course not! But I have to believe that life is definitely looking up for you--hips healing and gait improving, better kidney function and the relief you must be feeling with respect to your job situation. Okay, temperatures still in the 90's sound a bit daunting, but I bet beautiful fall weather is just around the corner. Happy Thursday!

@Elf1 So you officially resigned??? And I also read in another person's post, you and your husband bought a sleep number mattress!!! Whoohoo! Nice going. What a way to celebrate!
:sleep:

@Cecropia yes, I officially resigned. Hadn't heard anything back about going part time, etc and the more I sat here and thought, the more I realized I just didn't want to go back.

So excited about the new mattress, can't wait!

Plus we've been sitting here the last week or two and watching the litter of kittens that is living under our one deck. The mama is feral, she was born on our property so she always tends to stick close to here since she knows we won't hurt her or any babies she has. Have tried to catch her so they can fix and release her but she's pretty crafty at avoiding capture. So for now we give her water and safe shelter.
:catbutterfly:

Oh, I am glad you made your decision! You took some time and thought it over so I'm sure it's the best one to be made, too.
I took in a stray cat while recuperating from my first hip replacement! She rules our household now. Good luck trying to help the mama cat.. that would be nice if you could catch her.
We have a beautiful weekend ahead of us, but I guess you have plenty of warm weather where you are. :SUNsmile:

Congrats on the mattress purchase, too. :sleeep::sleep::zzz::yawn:

Last edited:
Congrats on retirement, the mattress (we love ours! ), and the mama and kittens. I have used with good results, Sentry Cat Calming spray (pheromones lower than in Felliway—that seemed too strong & spooked them). Also, and this really surprised me, Jackson Galaxy FeralFlowerPower solution. This can be used as drops or spray(comes w both tops). Drops just go in food and water or on ground, bed, towels, so super easy for an elusive mama. It makes them calm and friendly. (Latter is 30% off and BOGO free w code MUST30 this weekend.

Congratulations Elf1 on your retirement--woo-hoo. What kind of mattress is that? It will probably give you wonderful nights and great relief for your hip.I need a new one too and can't decide what kind.
Sounds like you have a little cat family on your hands. I had a male feral cat that I kept alive for 6 years then he vanished. Have a great week-end.

Sounds like you have a little cat family on your hands. I had a male feral cat that I kept alive for 6 years then he vanished

I think this is the real reason she retired. She has a kitty family to protect and raise! What will you name them @Elf1 ? :kitty::meow::catdance::catbutterfly::yellowcat::mooncat:

You are totally going to LOVE retirement, @Elf1, especially as you'll be stronger and free from pain completely in the very near future. I predict you'll find lots to keep you busy and at some point you will say to yourself, "how did I ever work fulltime AND live a full life?!!" Things are going so well for you--you deserve all happiness and a good life ahead--hurray for you!

Hey @Elf1
Congrats are in order...
Welcome to retirement where the alarm clock never rings and your time is your own. :wink:
I hope you went out and enjoyed a nice celebratory dinner, or one at home. Hopefully the new mattress takes no getting used to and is the comfiest you've ever owned. Enjoy the weekend!

Taking my Saturday to catch up on individual threads. Reading through yours, I am SMILING! You sound like a slow and steady kind of gal, which seems to be working for you. What a great boss you have! How nice to be able to work closer to home, hopefully, adding things to your current job that will bring you a greater sense of fulfillment. In the words of @SurreyGirl, "your hip op may be life changing beyond the actual op and recovery." Personally, I have found that to be true throughout my life. Keep up the good work! Enjoy your weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Elf1 Sounds like your life is moving right along. Congratulations on your decision to stay home. Also congratulations on the new bed. Glad you found something you like and that should serve you well.

Watching new life is such fun! You must be delighted to watch the kittens as they grow and play. My neighbor takes care of the ferrel cats in the neighborhood and I think she borrows a trap from the local animal shelter, so they can care for them, immunize them and clip the ear. My neighbor uses her garage as a shelter for them in the winters.
We have ticks in my area, so the feral cats help control the little critters that ticks love to feed on.

So Elf1 what are the names of those kittens--now you know what to do in retirement. Oh things are looking so good for you and I couldn't be happier. Couldn't happen to a nicer person.Oh I am keeping some of that sun as it is dreary here yet again today.

Good luck with your OS appointment today @Elf1
I'll bet it's all good, share if you care to afterward, we'd love to hear the great news.
Have a lovely Tuesday!

So the OS appointment today was quick and pretty uneventful. He's happy with my walk, wants me to strengthen my right leg some more so told to go get a 2 lb ankle weight and work the leg. Wasn't even upset when he asked about PT and I said I had stopped going and why. He said sounds like therapist went a bit too far but you seem to be doing fine doing your own PT.

I did ask him about some pains I'm having in the side of my hip and down the top of the thigh. He said pretty much normal at this point but also said I might have a bout of bursitis in the hip. He didn't seem real concerned and acted like it would clear itself up. Sure hope so. Wants me to come back in 3 months for a checkup.

Also told him about the terrible treatment while on the Ortho Ward after surgery. He seemed quite shocked, told him that I felt he really needed to be aware as that's where he sends his patients. He also told me to let the newish CEO for the hospital know in great detail. I told him I had a letter drafted but want to make sure I have included everything. He said to definitely be very specific in the letter so they know what transpired. I sure hope they do something with that place. It's a real shame as I've been using the lab, radiology, women's center, etc for years and most of the employees are fantastic. I did give kudos in my letter so the CEO will know it was just a small group of folks that were at fault.

Oh, and I drove up to my old work site yesterday to turn all my stuff in and clean out my office! So nice!

wants me to strengthen my right leg some more so told to go get a 2 lb ankle weight and work the leg.
See how that feels, please.
He said pretty much normal at this point but also said I might have a bout of bursitis in the hip. He didn't seem real concerned and acted like it would clear itself up. Sure hope so.
I do too.

Also told him about the terrible treatment while on the Ortho Ward after surgery.
I also told my OS of some issues with the PT he sent me too and a few issues at the hospital.
How can they know if they dont know.

Happy Retirement, my hippy pal.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties