THR Elf1 Recovery Road

@Elf1 I usually buy my shoes on Zappos. I’m in between sizes so I get them both and return one (or both), it’s free. I’ve been doing that for a while. That’s where I got my sketchers.

Morning! @CricketHip I didn't find the pair of shoes I was looking for. They are Bob's and our called cataflouge, looks like camo from a distance but it's little cat heads! :snork:

@ceezee was thinking of that to see if they might be a bit cheaper as well. The local store is an outlet so I didn't think they'd have them but thought it was worth a shot.

@Cecropia and @Barbaraj the back pain is getting better, takes time for the shot to work. I think I may have overdone it a little yesterday, especially when you add in the heat. Thinking of going to a crafts show today. They have these ones that come around every couple months and will be more frequent as Christmas draws near. You never know what you'll find at one, it's kind of a hit or miss thing. I usually go to the big one they have here on Thanksgiving weekend while everyone else is Black Friday shopping.

Hope y'all have a fun weekend!

Thankfully that nasty bug is history, Elf. Meeting and liking the new doctor has to be comforting. There's nothing worse than feeling less than fond of the person you entrust your care to. Many good doctors have a horrible bedside manner. It's definitely an added bonus when they're personable.

Wonderful news that the injection is bringing you relief. Hopefully it's longlasting. Energy Drain is normal at this point and with the extra activity of the day and lack of restorative rest lately, it's understandable you were tired. Hopefully after your nap and a good night's sleep, you're feeling ready to face the weekend.

I love walking around Hobby Lobby looking at all the seasonal decor. Hope you had fun.
Enjoy your day!
@Elf1

Good morning, @Elf1 I hope if you went to the craft store yesterday it wasn't too taxing on your hip and maybe you found a little treasure. We have one near me that happens around Thanksgiving. I've gone with my daughter the last year or so. It's a lot of stuff that I would never buy, but I've found a few pretty things reasonably priced. I hope Saturday was a good day, and you've got a pleasant Sunday today. And hope that shot is finally kicking in and bringing you some needed relief.

Good morning @Barbaraj! I did make it to the craft show yesterday and came home with a few things. I got some more of these cloth bowl holders that you use to hold your hot soup/pasta bowl when you're eating in front of TV and such like we do. They make and sell them all over around here now, quite useful! Also got a battery operated snow glob, looks like a red lantern with a winter scene with cardinals, trees, house and snowman inside. Really cute! I was actually very good, saw more things than normal that I thought were cute but asked myself, and where are you going to put that? :snork:

Was just getting ready to do my 2 month / 9 week update! Wow, what an adventure this has been! Once over the horrendous hospital stay and probably the first two/three days when I couldn't get up by myself, it's been a fairly smooth recovery, knock wood.
:rotfl: Couldn't have done this without outstanding support from my awesome hubby! He really went above and beyond and still does. Also, my friends here at BS. Don't know how I ever would have made it this far without your guidance and support, heck I'd probably still be hemming and hawing about whether to have the surgery! I am still just seriously befuddled by the lack of information that you receive as a patient from the hospital and surgeons during this journey and that there is absolutely no set standard across the board. :chinstroke:

Still using my cane, still have a slight limp so we'll keep plugging along, heel/toe until it's gone. Cancelled the last of the PT the other day and plan to start back with pool walking tomorrow. I really think that was helping much more than the PT was. Have some little niggles, zips, zaps and such but no real pain so that's a good thing. Still taking it pretty slow and easy as I know I'm still pretty early on in this recovery and don't want to jeopardize anything.

So with that, I hope you all have a great Sunday and enjoy what's left of the weekend!
:yes!:

@Elf1 You are making great progress at two months! You have adopted the right approach - slow and steady, not taking any risks that could spoil all your progress thus far. Continuing to use the cane will help you in the long run, I'm sure.
Like you I am loving the pool walking. I am surprised at how many people are doing it now - yesterday there were more people walking in the pool than swimming!
It is certainly true, as you say, that there is more help and information on this site than anywhere else. Who knows what I would be doing now if I had only had the hospital to rely on? :what:
I'll bet this next month will see lots more progress too!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Can you believe it's been two months already? After the first couple weeks of recovery I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the weeks seemed to click on by. I'm sure becoming more mobile and then getting out, away from home all works toward making time pass more quickly. I used to go to craft shows on ocassions years ago, but they seem to have dwindled down in my neck of the woods. Rather than holding them at shopping malls, as they once did, it seems they've moved to larger venues like sports arenas that hold more vendors and people.

You have a great attitude about recovery..taking it day by day. Not trying to rush things and maintaining a healthy level of patience. You're right, you're in the early days in the entire scheme of things and since it can't be rushed you may as well take it in stride. I hope you have a peaceful night's sleep and a great week to come.
Thanks for all of your support on the forum. It's appreciated. :friends:
@Elf1

That pool walking is making me envious. You sound like everything is just progressing so well makes me feel hopeful and elated.And only 2 months so happy for you.

It sounds like you are doing great Elf! I love your calm measured approach to your recovery and it has served you well. I resonate with your craft show potential purchases and where the devil are they going to go if bought :snork:

You were very good, @Elf1 to buy a few things that caught your eye without going crazy and buying too much. I think I'm at the point in my life when acquiring things isn't as important as it was when I was younger. I used to think, "ooh, pretty--I want it". Now, after I think that I also say, "where the heck am I going to store that?" which means that I end up passing most things by in the stores unless it's a replacement item for something that's broken. And great 2 month report! Sure, it's been a slow slog but you've been disciplined about not pushing yourself too hard and your excellent progress justifies this sensible approach--hurray for you! I'm not a pool walker but if you feel it's more helpful than PT I agree it makes more sense to stick with that. You can always go back to PT at some point if you feel it would be useful. In the meantime, so what works for YOU!

Hello @Elf1

Happy two month anniversary!! Hope pool walking is proving helpful. Our pool closed for repairs this past two weeks. I’m excited to get back there. Really helps with stiffness and more fluid movement. Glad to see you are making steady progress!

@Fit4Family the pool is just wonderful, love, love, love it!

@mikeycat you have a great weekend too, hopefully you get some rest and a break from the pain.

Well, yesterday was kind of an interesting day. I had told you folks that I had decided to quit my job. Been talking with my husband and going back and forth as I hadn't actually talked to the boss since I was still on the med leave.

Anyway, drive up to my work site, looking at all the cows out and about and watching at every then for the tons of Soldiers out there training. Note to self, don't argue with a tank, they are bigger than you and will crush you! :snork:

Had given my boss a heads up that I would be coming, figured I should do this in person. So we get to talking after he asks how I'm doing, how was surgery, etc. Told him I was planning to resign, couldn't deal with the long drive, didn't want to go back full time as I'm still recovering and it's just too much. He says well, what if I get it cleared for you to work down south (closer to home) and you do part time? I said well that would help a lot but one of the biggest issues is that my talents weren't being utilized and I was twiddling my thumbs bored out of my mind. He said he unfortunately knew that, said the powers that be that come up with these positions don't always know what they're doing per se, and that he couldn't guarantee it would be different but we could see what we could come up with. I said and if it turns out to be more of the same then I will resign. He said he would totally understand but would like to try this for a while as he'd hate to lose me. He's running everything through our big boss and corporate and then making sure they can find me a cubby hole down south to take up residence in. So, we shall see.

Got to visit with a lot of my co-workers that I haven't seen since before surgery, even went down to our south location and hung out for a while. Got lots of hugs and when you coming backs. Made me feel loved!
:loveshwr:

Then went to my kidney doctor for my check up. Doc was super happy with my lab results, as was I. I am no longer CKD stage 3, my numbers have improved and it has pushed me up into stage 2 which is fantastic! He was also happy that I've lost some weight, my blood pressure is good and said to keep doing whatever I'm doing! He was having lots of fun teasing me about running races with my new hip but was just so pleased with my progress. Now that's a great doctors visit!

Hope everyone is ready for the weekend and had something fun planned. Think I'm going to look for a new mattress, we do need one.
:alarm:

Ceezee had wonderful news yesterday, now you today!
What a encouraging update in multiple ways. I hope the job situation works out in a way that will be most fullfilling for you. Congrats on your weight loss, good labs, healthy BP numbers and Kudos from your doc!
Too bad you and ceezee aren't closer, you could meet and celebrate all this happy good news together! :wink: :cheers: :happydance:
I hope you have a fab weekend....something tells me you will. :SUNsmile:
@Elf1

Oh, another interesting thing happened yesterday during my travels. Was visiting with some co-workers at our south location and they're asking how I am and such. There was a Soldier in their office just finishing up some business and he says if you don't mind, what kind of surgery did you have? I kind of laugh, standing there with my cane and my Hippie t-shirt on and say right hip replacement. He smiles back and says I just had this one done and the other one a month before! Not sure of exact dates and such as he had to head out but it was kind of fun bumping into someone who's been there. All my co-workers were looking at him in awe, they were we just saw you walk in here and never had a clue. We both said that's kind of the purpose. And of course when he stood up to go he said but, there's still a but of stiffness after sitting and trying to walk. I was yep, exactly!

Great and optimistic report, @Elf1, both the doctor visits and the job situation. Even if the job doesn't work out, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that they really do value you and what you've brought to the organization--you should feel flattered, and proud of yourself--nice job! Have a wonderful weekend celebrating your good news!

@Layla and @Barbaraj thank you! Hope you both have a wonderful weekend!
:friends:

That is really encouraging Elf that your boss listened to you and obviously thinks you are valuable. Is it worth giving the reduced hours a try first, particularly if closer to home? Might be better than taking the complete plunge into the murky depths of retirement? You never know, they might find you something more interesting to do..... your hip op may be life changing beyond the actual op and recovery :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts