THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Hi@Elf1 I totally understand your commute I’m getting ready to return on the 12th I was using bus transportation to downtown Cincinnati and had to walk 2 blocks each way, rain snow sleet, this past winter hips were so arthritic I started Ubering ( which was expensive 5 days twice a day ) all the money I made on my part time job went to travel expense! I am not returning to my part time ( I have retired lol) so not sure how I’m gonna swing it.
It rained heavily here yesterday and I woke up with a sinus headache been wearing it all day
Hope you get to feeling better

Good morning, @Elf1 I hope you're waking up feeling refreshed and ready to have a good Saturday. I can't remember what neck of the woods you live in, but I hope the mornings are a pleasure for you--perhaps some coffee, toast and seated outside or by a window with the sunshine pouring in. It's a good day, and another one further along the recovery road. Happy Saturday!

I'm trying to stay as chill as possible as I know getting worked up about stuff is not good for my recovery

And you are chill! Taking it easy, going with the flow, rolling with the punches, whatever you want to call it.
I'll bet Recovery has you yearning for retirement even more. A change of pace is most often welcome and you're certainly in the midst of change. Your recovery seems pretty uneventful, which is a good thing. No ODIC for you Taking it slow, the way to go. :yes!:
Happy Saturday! I hope it's a good one.
@Elf1

@Aline I sure do not miss Ohio winters! Grew up just west of Cleveland and only rarely go back to visit.

@Barbaraj and @Layla having an ok day, didn't sleep much last night and by the time I started drifting off this morning the cats were awake and being pains and hubby was in and out of bedroom before he headed out to breakfast with some of his retired friends. Just pretty much gave up and got up. Doing a little cleaning, nothing to fancy, just bathrooms and washing towels. Swept a couple of floors as I couldn't take it anymore! :snork:

I think the only thing that is probably keeping me out of the ODIC is not being able to drive. I'm pretty limited in what I can do and where I can go. Way too hot out, even early mornings so not going out there! Think it was already about 80 at 5:00 this morning with 80% humidity.

Hope you're all enjoying your Saturday and have some fun stuff planned for the weekend.

Hey, it's Sunday, @Elf1 and I hope a little better sleep last night. I agree, poor sleep really drags one down. I slept poorly last night (blaming it on a bit of excess rose consumption too close to bedtime :groan:) and definitely dragging this morning. But, it's another day along the hip trail and another chance to get it right! Happy Sunday!

80F at 5:00 am and 80% humidity? Hot as Haddes:xmark:
I can see why you'd stay indoors. One of those days where you go from your air conditioned house, to your air conditioned car, to an air conditioned destination. Hope it breaks soon. We got a hot minute of a reprieve but now we're getting steamy again. Oh well, make the best of it I guess.
Happy Sunday! @Elf1

I wondered if I had it to do all over again, if i would set my surgery for fall as even though I'm very heat resistant...it made it difficult for me also.:sigh:
Hang in there @Elf1
All Temporary.:console2:

Had some rain come through this morning, not sure if that's why I'm achy or not. Not going to keep the temperature down for long and humidity is so thick you can cut it with a knife. Decided to take advantage of the temporary lower temp and went outside and walked our driveway to the road and back. Has a slight uphill slant going towards the road so a little resistance added in. Used my cane as I am really wanting to retire the walker. Will continue slow and steady but ready for some forward progress. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend!
:walking:

Wonderful that you got outside. We have some rain here which is pleasant and feels a little cooler. The humidity doesn’t do much for me either and along with the awful hot sweats makes for very uncomfortable nights. Hopefully you will be able to say bye bye to the walker very soon !

Oh Elf, I sympathize with you suffering in the oppressive Texas heat! I lived in Dallas for 2 years and know well the 'A/C shuffle' during the summer. Not sure there is a perfect season for a THR. :shrug:
Here in England I had to curtail my early summer outside walks due to slippery rainy weather. Winter anywhere means needing help with socks and shoes. Sigh. You WILL get to where you need to with your walking even if it takes a bit longer due to adverse weather. :friends:

Nice to get out on that driveway, @Elf1, and get in a little outdoor walk, and I'm sure using the can instead of the dreaded walker (don't know anyone who has happy things to say about that!) I can't imagine living where you are, with those high temperatures and dreadful humidity. I whine here when the temperature gets above 80, and don't get me started on humidity. When we dropped our youngest son of at college his first year, in St. Petersburg, Florida in AUGUST, I thought I would die! The horrid heat and the miserable humidity off the Gulf coast was simply unbearable. I was never so glad to come home to the relatively cool and comfortable temperatures here in the PNW! Hope today goes well--it's another day on the hip recovery trail!

@Fiona444, @Calgal and @Barbaraj getting outside felt pretty good. Had PT today so got out for that. They had a scheduling conflict so I had a different therapist today and did a few different exercises. Even got to do some walking with my cane, finally! She said I look good and has said to start using the cane more around the house but be aware of if I start leaning too much on the left or start getting tired. Switch to walker when I get tired at night. Can live with that.

Had a little gotcha moment this morning. Was trying to get out of bed and the one cat and I were having issues, ended up moving my leg in a direction it wasn't ready to go in! Definitely let me know to stop! Told the therapist and she did a little massage on the leg and it's feeling much better. Happy recovery trails this week!

Great updates @Elf1

Glad you get to use the cane a bit to move around more. I find it easier not to lean with cane vs. walker. Sorry about your sudden tweek. Easy to do and so painful. Hope you get a good nights sleep tonight. Your calm, always calms me, so it’s working it’s magic all the way to VA. Our heat has been crazy this summer. It’s no letting up any time soon. Take care Elf.

Hope you're feeling okay this morning, @Elf1 I had one of those "tweak" moments the day before, when I somehow without thinking tried to walk upstairs normally (have been able to do that going down, but hadn't tried going up) and I felt a muscle in my butt start to seize up. I quickly stopped and reverted to toddler walking again, but am noticing a bit of an ache in my butt which I haven't had before. But, it's another day in recovery and each day is bringing us closer to full recovery. Seems hopelessly far off in the distance, or it does to me, but we ARE going to get there. Happy Tuesday!

Hello :wave:
Great news PT has encouraged you to use the cane more during the day.
It feels good to shed those assistive devices one by one but your measured approach is wise and I don't see you ever landing in the dreaded ODIC. Good to hear the discomfort from the wrong move you made was relieved through some massage. You're doing well @Elf1 Keep it up and have a great Tuesday!

@Elf1 Tomorrows August 8. In case I don't get on here tomorrow Happy 1 month anniversary. And do something fun. Like with in reason of course.
Not this.....:tennis: or this:hiking:or this:bicycle1: :loll:
Don't get into any brawls with nurses or doctors, just chill.....:rotfl:

@Cecropia thanks for the good wishes. Did another round of PT today and while I wasn't originally a fan I'm seeing some benefits. Will be running by the OS office to pick up the paperwork for a temporary handicap parking pass. Figure it couldn't hurt to have in case I need it. So, I'm guessing that I must be right that he's going to release me to drive at my appointment on Tuesday. I shot a note to them online and nurse said she'll let me know when to pick up paperwork! Yippee!

Have been with hubby all the time since surgery so used his parking pass from VA but I can't use it alone. Also hoping I'll get the all clear so I can start water walking at the gym. PT said I was looking great today, she sees lots of improvement from last week as I met with another therapist earlier this week. So, basically I'm now on cane pretty much all the time but we both still agree when out at the store it's probably best to have walker to preserve personal space.

How are you doing? See you've been doing lots of fishing and stuff but sounded kind of bummed in a post I read elsewhere. Hopefully nothing is wrong.

@Elf1:goodpost:
You are doing great!
I'm okay just got that weird like I think from what I was told by my step son who's got 30 years in ortho tech and my step daughter in law who's an RN and nurse practitioner that it's the maximus gluteus muscle freezes up during the night and I limp real bad when I get up in the morning, it's painful. Then it loosens up and I'm better, but not great. It feels good to walk once it's loose. I walked tonight about a mile with my hiking poles. I dont limp after it's loose. But, how long will this go on??? lol. Everything else is going really well but that. And I'm in no pain while sleeping or sitting. I just wonder why it stiffens up so easily.:shrug: It is what it is, just have to wait and see.....oh, yeah, the heating pad did not work.
:chinstroke:but thanks for the suggestion....:)

Thats great that you are feeling some benefit from the PT and that you are soon to drive! That sense of freedom will be so refreshing

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562