THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Hi @Elf1
I hope you've had a nice day and stayed cool.
Wishing you a great weekend as you continue the journey. :wave:

Getting through the rough stuff, I hope, and getting in to a recovery routine?
All temporary and well worth it in the end, my friend.
Healing mojo coming your way.:loveshwr:

I get my first shower and hair wash tomorrow, and I am so looking forward to it! Good thing with the glue is that you can shower after four days (Sunday it will be!) and no protective aqua-cells required as they were last time. Isn't it funny how we all get so excited about this?! It's the little things that make a big difference!

My incision ain't pretty, but so far no terrible bruising, just that awful "so swollen it feels like it might burst" sensation. Thanks for the vote of confidence, @Elf1 that it looks pretty "normal" to you. I am also an easy bruiser (I blame daily aspirin I take) so the fact that no real bruising so far is great. Last hip didn't bruise either--I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and I'd have a black and blue thigh but it never happened. Fingers crossed that I'll have that experience this time, too.

@Layla, @Mojo333, @Barbaraj and @Fiona444 so far it's been pretty chill, kind of surprised actually. Sleeping when I can, icing regularly, going light on pain meds but making sure not to let pain get a jump on me. The bum is a bit annoyed from all the sitting/laying down. Nothing major though. Steri strips are also bugging me, don't think these things are ever coming off! The nurse added a little extra adhesive for some reason.

Highlight today/this week - was sitting here this morning and got up to go to the bathroom. Stood up, looked at the walker, looked at the cane and said let's give it a shot! Grabbed the cane, took a couple of tentative steps and decided it felt pretty good. So, went from living room to other end of house to bathroom with cane and back!
:old:

That's good with the cane @Elf1. I'm not ready for the cane yet however looking forward to it. First appointment is next week for me maybe by then and again maybe not. This one is very different from the first time. Different kind of discomfort in different areas. Take care.

@Elf1
Way to go YOU!:old:We need a lady with a cane for choices...:heehee:
I was afraid to try my cane, but my home PT had me practice with it, if not for her I'm not sure when I would have given up my Walker.
My Walker had several bags tied to it and I took everything you could think of with me wherever I traveled around the house. :heehee: Husband,
"Can I get that for you?" Me, "No thanks, it's in my bag". :loll:

Have only done two trips with the cane today, not wanting to push it. Been using the walker the rest of the time. Figured I would take the cane to PT on Tuesday since we're supposed to concentrate on limp/gait. I think they will be surprised at how I'm doing. Heel/toe, thanks BS!
:egypdance:

Congrats on the cane! I’m practicing cane to nothing..my hip actually is doing good. Went for MRI for my back today..unfortunately the radiating pain in hamstrings is not good. Couldn’t sit for more than 10 minutes! Once again @Elf1 , congrats! You are doing awesome!
upload_2019-7-20_20-54-3.gif

Wonderful @Elf1 it is so much less cumbersome than a walker although the walker feels so safe. I am using one crutch as I found i can walk better with one than 2 staying more upright and being able to adjust the pressure i need for support

Well, @Elf1, you always give off a very relaxed vibe in your postings, truly just going with the flow, doing what you can and not worrying/obsessing about how you're doing. This attitude is one we should all have. Every recovery is different, and the goal is simply to get through it, particularly these tough early weeks, as calmly and gracefully as we can. You are a great inspiration to many of us!

In the UK they only give us a walker on our first day, then it is crutches or sticks. I found that although I loved the walker as it felt so safe, I was not standing up properly and I find that the crutches hopefully encourage better gait and the heel toe action? Will be great to compare physio notes over the next couple of days. i bet they will be entirely different :rofsign:

:flwrysmile: Hi Ellen, I had to stop in and catch up on your news. Despite the roller coaster you rode leading up to surgery and your **** hospital experience, you seem to be doing extremely well. Sounds like you are making a great but careful start with the cane and will be off very soon. I still have to really concentrate on my heel / toe walking. If I forget, the discomfort increases all over again. Keep up the good work and your fabulous frame of mind!

Happy Two Week Anniversary!
Good luck with PT tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.
I hope you have a peaceful evening and sleep well tonight.
@Elf1

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member