THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Staring at my screen and “No...no...no...OH NO...OH NO NO NO...” and my cats woke up from their morning nap and stared straight at me to see what was wrong. This is so not good. I am really sorry, @Elf1 - you deserved VIP treatment and then some.

A big part of the problem with this hospital is they have been allowed to get away with this **** for years. It's pretty much a military town and all businesses are just pretty much here to suck up our hard earned money. They are finally starting to get some much needed competition so thinking they are going to have to start stepping up their game but until something major happens I will not let myself be admitted here ever again. I will be sharing my opinion with my OS who is actually affiliated with another hospital system, the hospital itself as they love to send surveys out asking about your visit and if the one advocate last calls again will give her an earful. She called earlier but I wasn't quite there since she woke me from a nap.

The fact that I had to call twice the morning after surgery to ask for assistance to the bathroom, when they said it would be a minute on my second unanswered call and told them that's what you told me when I called earlier and still waiting. They hung up before I got it all out and continued to make me wait.

But enough about those idiots! I have my pain pretty much under control, thanks to lessons learned here. We changed my bandage a while ago, discharge instructions were a bit foggy but we used our common sense. Incision looks good, there had been some blood/leakage on old dressing but the nurse changing the original one in the hospital said that it was caught on incision so thinking that's where that came from.
All in all,feeling pretty decent and so glad I escaped the looney bin when I did.
:spin::dancy:

Oh my gosh! that is a really rotten sequence following your surgery! 2 hours?? Ugh, I think I would have been carrying on in a very loud voice. but you made it through and you're home and feeling better. I bet you are so relieved.. you sound really good on your thread here..
I can just see you after getting in the car with hubby and he punches the accelerator and squeals out of the parking lot...:heehee: :holysheep:

Whew! So glad you got out of the hospital safely @Elf1
The city I live in is crawling with hospitals so we all have to be on our game or we'll lose our patients to the hospital down the way.
I was lucky in that I could go to a hospital different than my own so I could just be a patient and not have any of my coworkers know my business.
I asked what I was allowed to have for pain, nausea, etc and just kept track of it myself, and called when I knew it was time.
Still I learned a lot about what to do and what not to do for hip #2!
But since home you sound like it's all coming along fine, and coping well with recovery, so glad to see it!!
Keep calm and carry on birthday sister.

The city I live in is crawling with hospitals so we all have to be on our game or we'll lose our patients to the hospital down the way.
Yeah, that’s what I thought.

I was at a top rated Philly hospital and had a terrible experience with the overnight nursing staff. I’m going back there for the second hip and this time I’m ready to fight. My OS and primary doctor were both astonished and absolutely dismayed by my problems. Time will tell.

Bone Smart Warriors! Onward!
Its a shame that sometimes we have to be this way! I have preop physical next week and will be sure to find out my pain relief options! and have a personal assistant! With a watch!

Omg, ladies.
I guess after being a bedside nurse for 40 years and having been bitten,scratched, peed on, sworn at, and staffed according to a grid to save money no matter what the acuity of patients, crying on the way home because my back and my feet hurt and I couldn't take care of my patients the way I wanted to because they screwed us all yet again with staffing, I have to say--
It's tough on either side.
My surgery ( first in my life) went well but afterwards I saw the floor nurses fighting the same battles as I fight and losing, waiting for someone to take me to the bathroom and get my pain meds it's just not good when insurance rules the roost, and you have some burned out overworked people caring for you.
40 years ago it wasn't this way. We all need an advocate, I suppose.

So sorry @Elf1 I was really hoping you would get the white glove treatment. My two hospital stays here locally could not have been more different. It was all about staffing, or lack there of.

Glad you’re feeling like you have pain well controlled. Makes a huge difference the first few days.

@Elf1 What a story, true story....:sos:
Glad you are out of there. I was telling my husband, he said what you said, he'd never go back there...:meow:Kitty says glad you are home. ♥️

@Elf1, I’m sorry you had to go through such an ordeal dear friend; especially after just having this surgery! Your mind and body is already wore out pre-surgery and your expecting recovery to be a time of just that; recovery! Not, only did have the fear we fought with surgery of being cut on, with no control; now we have no control with our feelings the new pain and no sleep and being ‘left’ in the chair, almost forgotten. We need proper aftercare for a healthy recovery; and we all deserve a little TLC...we’ve earned it; trust me!!
Many Blessings

Really not trying to bash nurses as we have quite a few of these very special people in our family so we try to be as understanding as possible. There were some at the hospital that were wonderful but there was also those that weren't. Just wanted you to know that we normally love nurses! :SUNsmile:

Glad I've been reading on both sides of the forum. Woke about 2 this morning and it felt like my right heel was sitting in a fire. Remembered reading about lambs will and other soft materials. Grabbed the fluffy throw at the bottom of my bed and stuffed it in the covers and laid back down with my foot on that. Ah, the relief! :thumb:

The weird little niggles and such that are happening are definitely changing all the time. Have a good weekend everyone!.

Oh.My.Goodness. No way!!!! Ummmmm, how to even respond to that kind of treatment? My husband would have exploded and ended up in cardiac arrest. I can't imagine. No wonder you wanted to come home right away. This kind of story should be on the news channel. We all get it, nurse shortages, insurance limitations, etc. but after a major surgery to be left alone like that is really unexcusable. Wow, you've been through the wringer with first the cancellation and now with the surgery. At least you are ok and at home where you can at least be comfortable. So sorry for your experience @Elf1 and if anyone deserves a very long and restful nap, it's you!!!

The statement something like, "east, west, home's best" is so applicable here, @Elf1. What a horrific story of your fortunately brief stay at the hospital, it was appalling to read. So glad you're home and that thing are calmer and you're feeling mostly comfortable and can get on with your recovery. I hope you never have to go back to that hospital again! I had a good experience at my hospital so no complaints last time, and I'm hoping it will be smooth sailing again next week. Hope your pain and swelling are being managed. I remember looking at my right thigh and being amazed at how HUGE it had gotten, but it came down within 2 weeks--and never got any bruising which I found amazing. You hang in there, it's going to get better every day. Cheers, and happy Saturday!

Oh lovely Elf, you are SO kind and positive to everyone here on the forum, you certainly didn't deserve that kind of horrific hospital experience! :censored: But as a true testament to your character you have risen above the medical morons, and sound like you are doing well at less than a week. Sending you hugs from across the pond for a continued positive recovery! :yes!:

So sorry you had this experience in hospital... it’s not what you expect or should get. It must have made home even better to get to.

Perhaps, when you feel stronger, you could make sure your experience is noted by the hospital.

Glad though @Elf1 you are feeling better & all now under control....

Wishing you an extra special recovery xx[emoji3590][emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Elf1 Oh the heel thing. I'm just now being able for several nights not needing to pamper my heel at night. I thought it would never end. It must have something to do with nerves that are either injured or cut during surgery. Heel, knee, foot, all related by nerve endings somehow. I did not freak out either thanks to this site and remembering about the heel soreness. ♥️

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back