THR Elf1 Recovery Road

@mikeycat that is a Christmas ornament of some kind in my hand. It seemed to be the only picture on hand with just me when making my profile. Was at a friend's Christmas ornament exchange party they do every year, kind of a white elephant of sorts, everyone steals your ornament. Then you have to go pick another or steal from someone else.

Anyway, feeling a bit better every day. Can get up and off the couch by myself and can get back on it by myself. Hubby still usually helps with the on part if he's up and gets fresh I've packs and fresh cold drinks. Still have incision/surgery pain but controlled fairly well with meds and ice. Still pretty much just laying down the whole time, my bum is very annoyed so sitting on it is not comfortable. Glad go see we have some more folks starting to pop up on recovery side! The party has started!
:friends:

Yup the party has started. Well there goes the cupcake fantasy. My backside was red and I was always worried for bedsores but all turned out well. Glad to hear you are coming along. Must be a relief after all the stops and starts. I would have been bonkers . Probably would have pulled out I would.You're far better than I. I still ice periodically but my incisions only smart after a lot of activity. Enjoy the resting you need it. Take it very easy.

Happy Thursday :wave:
It's nice to hear you're doing well. I'm glad you found a comfy spot.
I recall the uncomfortable sensation that I was sitting on a golf ball. I used to tell my husband it felt golf ball in size, but not as hard, more like tennis ball consistency, lol.
Hope today is a good one! :friends:
@Elf1

Rest up "Goldilocks!" From your posts, I'd say that you are doing well. ( ok, I meant to post this yesterday and now I am back to find that I didn't hit send.)
@Elf1 you sound like you are taking things in stride. I still don't seem to be able to sleep for longer than 2-3 hours at a time. I'm ok with that, it's not like I am reporting for work or anything :snork: but apparently I still am not getting enough sleep to overcome the mistake mentioned above! I think you are on day 3!! Onward and upward! :happydance:

Hi @Elf1
Glad to read your posts to follow your progress on your road. Patience is a virtue, I learned, and to realize that while we share stories to inform and encourage one another no two recoveries are the same, and as I go back for another at summers end probs no two hips on the same person are either...
I did one day and night at a time and at 9 weeks out can say I'm so glad I did it and will be glad to start to fully heal with two done!

Sounds like you are doing great @Elf1 Progress to be getting up and down by yourself. Bed butt and log leg very familiar. Hoping you get through the next couple of weeks without hiccups. Thinking your rescheduling issue should check the box for all other snags. :sleep: Hope you get some good naps in today!

Sounds like you're right on plan, @Elf1, with controlled pain and a wee bit better every day. That first week is tough, as I recall, but you're doing splendidly so far--hurray for you! I'll be joining you on this side shortly, nervous about the long recovery slog, but anxious to get it over and done with.

As always, you are an inspiration! It’s great to hear your progress is moving along! Mine is too..fighting the cabin fever, though!

:hi: and welcome to recovery in slow mo:) :-) (:
Just what you must...only the necessaries for now.
Lots of good vibes coming your way. :roseshwr:

Okay, now that I've gotten some rest, the pain is doable and my brain seems to be functioning, here's the rest of the story!

The folks in Pre-op were pretty good and remembered me from previous visit so were bound and determined I was having surgery this time. Anesthesiologist was pretty good, first time meeting him. We decided that since I had the L5/S1 fusion with likely scar tissue at this time and the fact that I have Spina Bifida Occulta that it would be much easier to go with General. He made a comment asking if I still drank gin, hubby and I both looked at him and said WHAT? He said it's written in your chart that you drink gin. Um no, maybe in my early twenties but that was a long time ago and wouldn't be in my chart, matter of fact I very rarely drink any alcohol anymore and have mentioned that time and again. Whatever! Gals from anesthesia were a couple of goofballs but pretty much what I needed as I was wheeled into the OR. Young lady in Post Op/ Recovery so sweet, kept feeding me ice chips, such bliss, and here you need more pain meds! She kept apologizing that it was taking so long to get me to my room. She kept calling my hubby on his cell to keep him updated and apologize for the wait.

Finally get taken to the room on the Ortho floor and this is where the hospital crashed and burned. Unbeknownst to me, I had been in recovery for over 3 hours because they didn't have the floor opened or anyone to man it. And I know there was at least another hip surgery by my Doc that day. I pretty much get out in a bed, my husband is sitting on the little couch in the room and we're left alone, this is around 3:30. Finally a nurse (I think) and a PT come in and start babbling about this and thst, asking questions, etc. My husband pipes in as they weren't seeming to pick up by our puzzled looks that we had no idea what was going on. He explains that they basically dumped me here after the long wait and left. The nurse realizes I'm still in the little paper gown from surgery so she helps me get changed into a cloth one. PT decided now would be a good time to get me on my feet and let's try the bathroom while you're up. Then he decides I should sit in the recliner type chair that he brought in, only puts my feet up a little and I'm sitting upright. He says he wants me to sit in this for at least 2 hours, he'll see me tomorrow and off he goes! They finally bring me some dinner, I believe they gave me some Oxy which makes me nauseous, and off they go. They gave me a plastic pan with these little disposable barf bags, which was a good thing, and off they go again. Someone wanders in to grab my pretty much untouched food tray and start to take off again. I'm like hello, can someone help me get back in my bed, I'm tired, I hurt, I want to try and sleep and would like for my husband to be able to go home and know I'm ok. We'll send somebody to help you. We sit there watching TV, it's getting later and later, finally tell my hubby to go home I'll sleep here if I have to. Don't remember how long after he left before they moved me to my bed.

Will take a quick breather here for a moment. A nap is calling.

Last edited:
That sounds quite horrific! Sometimes i wonder how these establishments can be so disorganised. Must have been horrible being left like that. I am glad that your pain is doable and your recovery nurse was lovely. At least you are home and on the mend now

Huh...what?!! Just getting into all this drama with my coffee and breakfast and you're off to nap :rotfl:
To be continued...

So far, inexcusable comedy of errors. Poor dear Elf!
@Elf1

My goodness @Elf1 that sounds just awful! I cannot understand how a hospital could be run that way. I know you were especially happy to be home.

I’m starting to think that everyone needs to bring with them an advocate to stay through the first night. With my last surgery and after my husband had left because everything seemed under control, the night shift started and they were positively awful. Hours and hours past schedule to get meds, no help to the bathroom, etc. They came in once to take my blood pressure and that was it. It took me many button presses over hours for the actual nurse who could administer meds to come in. And this is in a highly regarded and rated hospital.

I hate to ask my husband to stay over night but as I read about more stories like yours @Elf1 I think I may have to. He’s done so much for me with the first surgery I hate to burden him with this too. It shouldn’t be necessary.

I hate to ask my husband to stay over night but as I read about more stories like yours I think I may have to. He’s done so much for me with the first surgery I hate to burden him with this too.

But he loves you....and you'd do it for him.
Have him bring his comfy clothes and his own pillow if he prefers. He'll get through it and you'll have the assurance you won't be neglected.
@ceezee

Last edited:
@Elf1:holysheep:I cannot imagine being set in a chair for 2 hours right after surgery. You poor hippie. I was in a small hospital where my surgeon prefers to do his hip replacements. You sure have been put through some challenges, and still rocking it... :wow:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back