THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Elf1

Staff member since October 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Ok, here's my first post, figured I'd set this up so it's ready tomorrow after surgery. Thanks for all the advice, encouragement and hugs, couldn't have gotten this far without all of you! Ellen
:yay:

I wish you well Ellen...its a rollercoaster ride...but stay positive.....you'll get there...stay in touch:angel:

The blues:blackcloud:, the worries , the highs and lows will all probably crop up.....they all go away....mine ....all gone today:dancy: ....good luck.....X

You'll do fantastic tomorrow. I'm so happy that you won't be dealing with all of the pain anymore. We'll be waiting to hear from you when you're up to posting. Take care and try to get some sleep tonight!:flwrysmile:

Oops, I posted well wishes on the oldie.
I'll leave the Recovery Guidelines here and another hug for good measure :friends: :wink:
You've got this!:happydance:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Elf1

Doesn't it feel great to have a recovery thread ready and waiting. I know I was glad to start mine. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life, out of that old pain and any recovery pain will heal. That's the good part.❤

It is so nice to have the hip replacement surgery in the rear view mirror instead of watching it come at you! I am glad that will be the case for you after your surgery tomorrow! You are as well prepared as you can be, so now you just need to focus on getting through the surgery and the first few days. One step at a time, knowing that you will be on the road to a much better quality of life! Best of luck to you tomorrow.:loveshwr:

If your surgery goes as smoothly as mine (no reason for it not!!!!) you will be one happy, HAPPY camper tomorrow evening.
Hugs and best wishes! :elevate: :flwrysmile:

@Elf1 - sending you the all the best wishes for tomorrow - can’t wait for your post surgery updates - here’s to a future with no hip pain !!

All the best! See you on this side soon!

Bye bye hip pain :yahoo:

I look forward to hearing from you on the other side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the best! My RTHR was 6/6 and I’m glad I did it. You will be too.

@Elf1 7:00 o'clock. Well if surgery is on time you should be prepped and ready, maybe started. Be thinking of you going through it, even tho you won't see this till you get out of recovery. ❤❤❤

Well folks, I'm back home, no I'm not that good at recovery. Was at the hospital in my gown, IV in, TED'S on, nose swabbed, and pre-op Oxy and anti nausea meds administered. Head nurse walks in and says I'm so sorry but Doc was in a bad accident and your surgery is cancelled. Both mine and my husband's mouths drop and stare in disbelief. Good news, Doc is ok, at least he thinks so but is going to get checked out. Bad news, I'm back to the waiting game until his office calls to reschedule. Yeah, I'm super bummed!
:doh:

Oh my gosh, it's incredible. I'm so sorry Ellen. Sending you lots of hugs... Glad your surgeon is okay, but what a blow to your psych. I can't imagine how you feel right now. Let it all out even if you need to cry...:console2:

@Cecropia if I start I might not stop. I think only thing keeping me calm is the little pre-op cocktail that had already given me. That's how close I was!

Well, ate some breakfast and have some caffeine but think I'll take a nap for a while. Thanks for the thoughts, prayers and hugs.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom