TKR Elevation?

@Sandy11 - you will see that I have moved your post from Smokey1's thread to your own thread.

By putting the above post in her recovery thread, you were taking her thread off track. The thread should be about her own preparation.

Please post any updates or questions about your surgery preparation in your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you - I've changed this thread title to reflect your question.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

As elevation is one of the most important recovery action, I tried it with 2 pillows for 3 nights just to get the feel. My knees started to hurt some after that.
Any advice?
Here's an article all about elevation and how to do it"
Elevation: Doing It the Right Way

You need to use 3 pillows, lengthwise, so your entire leg is supported, like this:
1619118962686.png

Thank you @Celle.
And sorry about off-tracking Smokey1's pre-op preparations.

Just experiment different angles and heights until you are comfortable. I found it painful to elevate in the first days home, but things get better with time.

You will most likely be told by the hospital keep them totally straight, but that is not necessary, and it’s painful. A slight bend is fine and will feel much better. Notice the slight bend in the photo Celle posted.

If I have a walker, is it required to buy walking cane too?

It may not be necessary, but may be a good idea. Many of us "graduate" from the walker to the cane after several weeks. I was able to get mine paid in part by insurance and my PT helped me get the right kind that can be adjusted to your height.

I borrowed my cane from a friend. It was a big help to me, for balance and confidence. And I think almost all of them are adjustable for height. I got a second one, a slightly different style, at Walmart.

Just ordered my walker and a Laptop/tray Bed Table so I can start working when it becomes possible.:fingersx:

Hi Sandy11,

I'm about to have my second TKR, the right this time, after the first in 2016. I waited so long not because of my own doing, but because my husband had a series of challenges with scary diseases, so since we can't both be out of commission at the same time...

I had a difficult recovery with my first TKR, the left, because of reactions to the pain meds (anxiety, non-relief of pain, insomnia), and nerve pain from the tourniquet, probably. The surgery center would not consider adjusting the pain meds to something else for over 3 weeks. It was not fair! So, as bad as that experience was, when I found the folks here on Bonesmart, I was able to regain control of my recovery and set some boundaries, since here is where I found out that everyone recovers at a different pace, the uniquely American adage of no pain no gain is not correct for TKRs, etc. I set limits with the PT for what I would let her do, and I refused...nicely, mind you...an MUA from my OS when I had not achieved an ROM or bend of 125 degrees at 3 months.

Now, the left knee is rock solid! I didn't really get to the point of forgetting for more than an hour that it was a new knee until about 9 months into recovery, but it was still so worth it. I eased back into work because mine was very physical: carrying seed bags as I own a wild bird store.

When I fill out the form for how much I have compromised in my life because of my knees it's awful! I've been dealing with the right knee issues for 33 years...since I tried to be a nine year old following my daughter down a skiing hill! So, this right one is the "bad" one and it's finally it's time for new parts!

This time I have a group of support folks on my side, from Pilates to PT that will help me through my recovery. And I learned enough last time to be better prepared with adjunct pain modalities to help myself far more this time.

I've borrowed an "ice machine" from a friend, I've made home adaptations, and so forth...

You are the only person who can decide whether to go forward now or not, but either way, we will all be here for you to help... and the fun thing is that there are folks from across the globe here so usually someone is awake to answer your pleas for support!

I waited so long not because of my own doing, but because my husband had a series of challenges with scary diseases, so since we can't both be out of commission at the same time...
Very sorry to hear that. Must have been quite stressful and hard time for both of you. Hope he is doing well now.
Your surgery is in 2 days....Wish you all the best for speedy recovery.

My TKR is of left knee. I have equal pain in my right knee also due to a fall a month back. There was no swelling when I fall or afterwards. Immediately after the fall I could walk without any problem. So assume there is a ligament or tissue damage. Will this create problem in post-op time? My surgery is on May 19.

I think one thing that needs to be considered regarding whether it's "too soon" is that arthritis is not an illness that will get better. If you are bone-on-bone, it'll stay that way.

I had been told quite a few years ago that I should consider a replacement, but felt that I was 'too young' for that at the time. Thinking back it reminds me of the quality of life that I have lost not being able to go to museums, visit national parks or do other things that my friends and family enjoy. So while having a TKR may feel daunting, just think of the things you won't be able to enjoy doing (and they'll just become more and more) because you haven't had it yet.

Had my pre-op appointments [PT and OT and PA Ortho] on 4/29. I was told by OT that first month will be hard and PA said that first 2 weeks :chinstroke: . I am aware from all the posts here that every person is different. So will have to wait for my own experience.

I was told that I will have water resistant dressing and self-dissolvable stitches which will look like a mesh on my incision [6" to 8"]. By 2 weeks it will come off on its own. If it doesn't, I can peel it off slowly without problem.

If I leave on the same day as planned, it will be arounnd 2-3 pm as my surgery is at about 7.30 am. There will be a catheter put on my thigh to block pain in my nerves and it will be there for 3 days. So i can't shower for 3 days. I am to takeshwer on the night before the surgery day and on the morning of the surgery with CHG solution provided by them to prevent any infection like mrsa.

No one will be allowed to be with me after surgery due to COVID19.

@Sandy11 Don't worry about the difference between the OT and PA - it's a sad fact that many health care folks really do not have any idea what it's like to get a joint replaced. They've may have been taught "yada yada is how it is" in school but unless they have had a knee replaced themselves they really do not know what it is like. And even if these folks have lots of experience working with patients who have gone through this surgery every person's situation and experience is unique.

It sounds like you have things well in order :) It is sad that this dratted virus is preventing you and nearly everyone else from having their support people around!

@BBCG
Hope your surgery on 4/29 went well and you are on the path of smooth recovery. :prayer:

Sandy, I am good! I'll post the day's events in my portal spot in a little while, but I've graduated to crutches from walker, am dosing the Tramadol and Tylenol every 3.5 hours now (a pain to track though!) and see the new PT first time in the morning. Do you know how to find my posts by clicking on my name? I think that's how I do it!? My recovery is SO much better this time!!

I'll write more to you in a little while, when my leg's in the air!

That's owesome. On crutches within a week! Very happy for you. I have been checking your other posts already. :)
when my leg's in the air!
:loll::fingersx:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back