BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Elevation for knee

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by julieskan, Apr 14, 2019 at 7:28 AM.

1. julieskan

julieskan new member

United States United States
    Checking pre purchase. It's this one ok?

block.jpg

2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You knee will have too much bend when using this wedge, here is a link to elevation after TKR.
    Elevation: the do's and dont's

The Lounge Doctor would be a better choice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CorpHippie

CorpHippie junior member

I personally love my Lounge Doctor. Since I’ll have my other knee done this year and I know that this is a slow process I opted to pay more. I can tell you in the last 3 weeks since surgery I’ve used it every single day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tylermit

tylermit junior member

I am another to recommend the Lounge Doctor. I purchased it 2 weeks ago on recommendation of this forum. I wish I had it for my previous surgeries. I only used pillows before and that was not ideal. The Lounge Doctor is very comfortable. It may cost a little more but when you realize what it will do for your comfort and recovery it is worth every bit of it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    I bought the Lounge Doctor extra wide model. It was perfect. Be sure to measure your leg for best fit but it will still work if you can't as long as it's long enough

• Like Like x 1
  6. julieskan

julieskan new member

I just ordered it on Amazon. Got tall I'm 5'8. This forum is really helping me prepare. I took a look at the post forum, gives me an idea of what I'm in for

7. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes its so helpful. Nothing like reading the experiences of others.
    Equipment you may want to think about;
    A leg lifter. Cheap. Good for first 2 weeks when the leg is sore and not working well.

An electric recliner. Makes it easier (don't, get trapped in one that isn't powered like I did).

Some form of ice and compression. Cheapest is a neoprene wrap with a slot for reusable get ice pads yoy can recycle. They really only stay cold enough for 14 mins or there abouts so you will need a few pads as they take 2hours to refreeze properly.
    Best Ive found is Game ready which I hired for 2 weeks. I also bought an Aircast There are many similar. The advantage over ice packs is the compression and that a programme can be automatically set (Game Ready). The Aircast also compresses but not as well. Havent tried other products.

Equipment to raise your chair, bed and toilet. Again, its really just for a few weeks but helps.

8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Here is some pre-op reading. There are a couple of article about recovery adis and recliners that you may find useful:
    If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

9. julieskan

julieskan new member

I've ordered an Ossur Cold Rush machine with knee pads and I'll def go for the leg raiser. Thank you!