• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Elevate at night

gooseisland1

Country
United States United States
Hello All,
I am just getting started at prep for my knee replacement scheduled for March 16, 2020. I lan to get an ice machine and a support to elevate my leg. Do most people elevated the leg all night during sleep or can it be down?

Thanks

pamsknees

Country
I’m on Mar 16 also with bilateral replacements. From what I’ve read you want to elevate as much as possible. There are links on here somewhere to lounge dr elevating pillows as well as photos of regular pillows attached together. I bought one similar to a lounge dr on amazon for my recliner & got an adjustable bed. My surgeon suggested ice packs but I plan to ask him for an ice machine.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Here is some pre-op information, to help you prepare for surgery, @gooseisland1 :
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Helizabug

graduate
Country
The ice machine is great! So easy and works for a long time between changing ice.

I definitely elevate at night, and if I enjoyed sleeping on my back, I’d elevate all night. I shift to my side for part of the night, though. And I just use a stack of pillows, as above. People love the Lounge Doctor cushion, but I like adjusting my pillows to shift my position. I think they both work well.

winedunce

Country
These are examples of elevating correctly, with the knee slightly bent:

Here’s an article with more detail:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/elevation-the-dos-and-donts.7602/
This is so helpful. I was about to order an elevation pillow but I was under the impression that we want our leg to be straight with no bend in the knee like this one (this is like the one my PT uses when I ice after an appointment). But, the one with the slight bend looks so much more comfortable! So, we are allowed to have a slight bend in the knee? Do people run their ice machines all night? I have done that for previous surgeries - 30 minutes on and 30 mins off all night but am hearing conflicting opinions on how much to ice. I'm a sweller so I'm not sure what to do.

Attachments

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Yes, a slight bend is fine and more comfortable, though I’m sure the hospital will tell you to keep it straight. If they do, try to work with them or do it their way, once you are home you can do what you feel is best for you.

For this type of surgical response swelling, you can ice as long as you want. Just be sure you have a cloth or towel between you and the ice source. Again, advice on icing has a lot of different opinions. Some surgeons limit it, some tell you to ice as much as you want, and we’ve even had a couple of members who’s surgeons forbid them to ice.

You will find many opinions about every aspect of this recovery, so, use common sense and do what you feel is best for your situation.

InkedMarie

graduate
Country
For the first two or three weeks, I used The Lounge Doctor wedge, slight bend, at night. At some point, I was able to sleep on my side so my nights were spent however I was comfortable. I also slept with my ice machine on at night.

OP
OP
G

gooseisland1

Country
Thanks for all the great info. The reason I ask is I am side sleeper. Now with my knee condition I am most comfortable either on my belly or on side with pillow between legs. Hopefully I can do the pillow between the legs at least part of the night.
I will have an ice machine so I can do all night.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You may find you will need to be on your back most of the time for the first few weeks. I was able to slowly add minutes to my side sleeping time with the use of a pillow.

I situated pillows into a "ramp" when I was on my back. Easier to do in the summer with light covers than in the winter, I'd assume.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Marcy00
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom