BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] eelainea65's recovery thread

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by eelainea65, Aug 11, 2018.

1. eelainea65

eelainea65 junior member

United States United States
    @jboles {Hugs} always back at you!
    @sistersinhim It wasn’t too bad. Worst part is getting into a low car.
    @Lindylee Thanks! ☺️
    @Jamie But it’s so tempting to compare!
    @Irish471 Do you recall if your inflammation was ridiculous? My skin was so taught I felt like a balloon just waiting to pop! Pain has not been agreeable. O_o I was an “8” upon reaching my appt. I, too, was told, “No aspirin until further notice!”

Bleeding ceased overnight. Incision was examined. No fresh blood, so he put on fresh gauze and a lightweight compression wrap. Was told that if it started bleeding again and didn’t dry up within two days, they might bring me back, put me under, and sew me up again. He was also contemplating putting me on antibiotics lest “bugs” get in there. Said my flexion was surprisingly good given I hadn’t had any PT. And then proceeded to tell me to begin right away. >_>

Today’s blessings (trying to stay positive, you know?):
    1) My daughter’s old boyfriend saw my post on FB and came to take me to/from appt.
    2) Volunteers at OHSU whisked me by wheelchair to/from 12th floor orthopedic wing.
    3) I didn’t get admitted to hospital.
    4) Post-appt treat of Elephant’s Deli chocolate mousse. (If you’re familiar w/ Portland, OR, you’ll understand.)
    5) Another dear friend stopped by to check on me and promptly changed my bed sheets which were crime scene worthy.
    6) New Nectar mattress was unscathed. *whew*

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    How lovely that he saw your post and chauffeured you. What a nice guy and a good friend checking up on you. At times like this you find out who your friends are. So glad it turned out ok. Fingers crossed that you have a trouble free recovery from now on,

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

How blessed your truly are! Great that your bleeding has stopped and that your doctor likes your bend. If you're doing so well without PT, why does he want you to go?? Doesn't make sense. It was very uplifting the way you printed out your positives about yesterday. We all need to do that, starting with me.

4. Irish471

Irish471 senior

@eelainea65 , I am so glad everything worked out okay! Yes, the pain was horrible with the hematoma, a 10 every day in between doses of painmeds. It was extremely swollen and it honestly felt like someone hit my knee with a sledgehammer. When I went in and they removed the dressing, the coloration was all mottled, a mixture of yellow and red. The OS wanted to see if he could draw some of the blood out to relieve the pressure. OhmyGod! :bawl: That hurt so bad! I just laid there with my hands covering my face sobbing. He couldn't get anything because it has clotted. I was so upset about the whole thing. I made my husband take me to Dairy Queen for ice cream :heehee: Because chocolate cures everything, right?!? It works for me!

My doc, too, said start outpatient physical therapy right away so I went home and made an appointment for Monday (was at OS on a Friday). I think he was really worried about scar tissue forming from the hematoma. And you know, physical therapy has been the best thing. I had a long history already with my therapist and I trust him 100%. He has his Masters degree and has been doing this for a long time. I hope you have someone just as good that you trust. If not, ask the doc to refer you to the best.

It's awesome your flexion is already good. Mine was 74 when I started and over the course of a month, I got to 95. I worked hard at it, every day 2-3 times a day. Others might disagree, but this was the right path for me. I was never in terrible pain before, during, or after physical therapy. There was discomfort, sure, but nothing Tylenol and an occasional oxycodone can't handle. The best thing for the inflammation was the electrical stimulation machine at physical therapy. I have that applied with ice at the end of every session. Some people call them a TENS machine.
    You have good people looking out for you! :loveshwr: Keep icing and elevating. I elevated whenever I was sitting or laying down. And I kept an ace bandage on for a couple of weeks to help compress things. Not too tight, though. I hope you're feeling better today!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

@eelainea65 .... your latest post provides very good news. I'm so glad things are a bit brighter today.