THR Educate yourself

Mick1010

Country
United States United States
Just had my appointment. Very impressed with doctor.....but i was not prepared. I have spent my day reading...
Anterior....posterior...superpath....minimally invasive......How bad is it ..should i do now or wait...in July i had a severe groin pull that has not gone away...doctor gave inflamatory prescription along with shot...still pain in groin ...i have made no effort to loose weight...which i believe is causing inflamation...4 dr peppers a day aint helping......iam going to try this route first. Robotic compared to natural....as i continue to educate myself..one other thing...what material will be used ...medal ceramic..cement

@Mick1010 Welcome to BoneSmart! I think you will find this site will give you all the information you need to make that decision. Give a shout if you need help finding anything.
I have spent my day reading...Anterior....posterior...superpath....minimally invasive.
Your surgeon will make the decision on the approached based on your own medical situation. Sometimes anterior approach does not allow proper access to the joint area. BTW - there is no such thing as minimally invasive THR. Don't be fooled by all the marketing hype.
what material will be used ...medal ceramic..cement
Again - this is surgeon based. They will use the implant that they are most familiar with given your situation.

The best approach is to find a surgeon you trust and have a good discussion about any concerns you have. Sounds like you are already on the right track with this doctor.

Here’s the thing, @Mick1010 , if you are experiencing the groin pain now, it’s not going to get better. I was able to postpone my surgery a bit with a couple of cortisone injections, but bottom line, I wish I’d bit the bullet and done it sooner. If you’re anything like me, you already put off seeing the doc, hoping this would somehow miraculously get better on its own. Then, most docs want to try less invasive methods first, which puts off surgery for more months. If you’ve tried all that and are still in pain, I’d say just go for it. Educating yourself is a great idea, and this is a the best place to do it. Good luck to you!

You should know about it but basically you pick the OS and go with what they do. I don't think anyone can go to an OS and tell them what they want like ordering from a menu. If you want to know what the OS is going to use for an approach and what hardware you'll have to ask them. There is a point where you over think it and will question every thing and never have the procedure. Getting a second opinion on whether or not you need a THR is a good thing. You mention a muscle pull but nothing about the joint. Not just for the weight part but diet has a lot to do with inflammation.

So this superpath technique is legit?.and pain that i have us a groin pull sensation. Nothing in my hip.. doc said by exrays and mri ..its related to hip.

For me, the groin pain was the first indicator that I needed hip surgery. Tried PT and the PT said that there was nothing she could do. The minute the hip surgery was over, the groin pain was gone. If the X-rays and MRI showed that your groin pain was related to your hip, I would believe them.

When I first injured my hip (and didn't realize it) I had groin pain. Couldn't walk. As a diagnostic technique they finally decided on a cortisone/pain killer injection into the joint. Wow. Instant "cure." 2 benefits. Firm "hip joint issue" diagnosis. And...Bought me years of delay. I functioned well for 12 years using yoga, exercise, and a few more shots. This years was the year to get the surgery. Got a second opinion, took the summer with a shot so I could dance and enjoy the warmth and volunteer and do my summer activities (pent up due to covid.) Now recovering.

So this superpath technique is legit?
Yes it is offered to some - but not everyone is a candidate. In addition, not every surgeon uses this approach. Some try and sell this approach as a faster recovery - not true I am afraid.

So this superpath technique is legit?.and pain that i have us a groin pull sensation. Nothing in my hip.. doc said by exrays and mri ..its related to hip.
There have been some take the superpath, can't speak for it. no matter where they make the hole or take the voyage there are similarities. They have to dislocate you hip socket, research the hip capsule and the number of muscles that pass through the hip area. They have to chop off the end of your femur and drill it out then drive a spike in it. Then they ream out your pelvis and possibly screw or cement a socket in. Sounds like fun! All of this in a very short period of time.
If your Doctor says your hip is OK why the interest in a THR? I really didn't want a THR despite knowing for 30 years I needed one.

@Mick1010 I've been a BoneSmart member for over 11 years and have read threads for every kind of hip replacement options you mentioned. IMO the best predictors of good out come from hip replacement surgery are: 1) The skill of the surgeon no matter which approach, technique or implant is used; 2) Over all health of the patient - not necessarily their athleticism just general good health; 3) Patient's willingness and patience to heal first and then get back to any energetic, physically demanding job and/or activity.

No matter what approach or technique is used the basic surgery is going to be as Eman85 described - 50% surgery and 50% carpentry. So, again IMO, find a surgeon you like and trust, who has lots of experience doing hip replacements (300+/year), who is covered by your insurance, and let him or her use the approach and techniques they know best.

I am back on the rehab path. I am 6 weeks since thr, but spent over a week in bed with very bad rsv (respiratory) infection. Should I be worried with new pain? Did I inadvertently bend too far? Lay around too much? Or is variation in pain levels ok? Doesn't hurt worse, just different.

I agree that education is important. Tough to get detailed info, before and after, from busy surgeons. And all ortho groups seem overworked these days. So advice from this site is very useful.

Mick, I tried to wait for my first THR. What changed my mind is the surgeon looked me straight in the eye and asked if I was satisfied with my quality of life because it wasn’t going to improve without surgery. I had tried everything. PT, deep tissue work, intra articular injection (A nightmare) and I folded. I won’t lie to you, my recovery was slow and pretty tough at the start but I also know I pushed myself too hard. I also had hip #2 which they speculate would last me another 3-4 years.

This time, was getting twinges of groin pain but my husband and I were traveling out of the country and suddenly I couldn’t take another step. It was like someone had shoved a knife into my groin. It would settle with rest and gentle stretching but the next attack was never far away. Needless to say it put a damper on our trip. I decided to see a surgeon as soon as I returned to the states. I got s referral from a doctor friend and liked the guy when I met him. I put the surgery off until just after thanksgiving, refused any injections and got some PT which helped moderately. Second THR was last Friday. My recovery is going much better than last time. I’m uncomfortable and get exhausted but I haven’t broken down once crying. I’m still on my walker but doing fine on stairs and I think by next week I’ll graduate to my cane.

Find a surgeon who makes you comfortable and you feel you can trust. Ask your questions but trust their professional judgement. They know why one approach is preferable to another. Then just do it unless other health considerations come into play. Until the bad hip is gone, any improvement will be temporary. it’s scary as hell, especially the first one. But you can do this.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom