BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] Eciulla's recovery thread<<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Eciulla, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Eciulla

Eciulla junior member

United States United States
    Hi, I am 12 days post op. Have been home for 9 days. Have had 4 sessions of pt and am scheduled for 3 or for more in home until I start out patient on August 13. Have been diligent about doing the exercises. Days are relatively good, swelling,stiffness and pain. Taking 10mg of oxcy every 4 hours round the clock. Nights are aweful. I ice a lot almost 30 minutes every other hour.
    Any insight would be helpful
    Thanks

2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Eciulla
    Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
    You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

3. Pumpkln

You can ice straight through the night, just be sure to have a cloth between you and your skin.

Suspect you are doing too much during the day,
    You may want to cut back your daily ex. program, your knee is still in the early angry soft tissue stage and needs lots of Rest, Ice, Elevation, and Medication on schedule as prescribed.
    You are not weak you are injured and your muscles have shut down in response, as you heal they will wake up and your strength will be there. The activities you do around the home in the early days are all you need. As you heal you can increase both your activity and exercise.

You may find this helps with your night time pain.
    Night pain solutions using moist heat and clingfilm

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Thanks!

Here are the recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
    Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key
    Ice to control pain and swelling
    Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

4. Eciulla

Eciulla junior member

Pumpkin, thanks for your helpful response. I think I might be doing too much. I am always fearful that if I don't do the prescribed exercises my knee will lock up and then I will be in trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, welcome to BoneSmart
    pretty much the opposite of the truth. Relax, take it easy, follow the guidelines. Your knee will heal. Normal life will keep it mobile, PT is a bonus as long as it's pain-free.

6. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Eciulla - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

7. Eciulla

Eciulla junior member

Tkr July 25th 2018 left knee

8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you for your surgery date. I've put it in your signature now.

9. Eciulla

Eciulla junior member

18 days post op still have substantial swelling despite ice and elevation. Also the knee has some numbness. Normal?

10. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yes, it is very normal! I had swelling despite elevating and icing 95% of the day for the first month (then I had a 2nd surgery). Keep your activity level low until the swelling goes down. Take a look at the Activity progression for TKRs for an idea of what your activity level should look like.

Numbness can hang around for up to a year, so no worries right now.

11. Pumpkln

@Eciulla
    You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

12. Laurenkate

Laurenkate graduate

I was swollen for months after my first tkr. Suspect it's going to be the same with this second one. The only thing which helps me is icing from bedtime to about 4 a.m., elevation (a lot during the day), and the dreaded compression stockings when p.t. has come for a visit.
    EVERYONE is scared to death our knees will lock up if we don't do a boat load of exercises. But it really doesn't make lot of logical sense when you consider what was cut, moved, sawed, etc. during the surgery. All those nerves, muscles and tissue need some time to heal. The bottom line is this. You have to find what works for you but for most people, if you start all these exercises, you might start swelling. A lot. Swelling hurts and it's difficult to continue the exercise if your knee is swollen, tight, and extremely painful. That might not be the case for you but at the very least, if you are pushed into doing exercises which hurt, just stop.

13. Laurenkate

Laurenkate graduate

This isn't an original thought but if you know anything about newborn babies, just pretend your knee is one. That newborn sets your schedule & everything you do until the two of you get used to each other. You'll learn what works best for you and your baby (knee) but it takes a lot of time, patience, getting used to being sleep deprived, and a lot of ice. (Obviously babies don't need ice but you get the idea. :))

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  14. Desertgal

Desertgal member

15. Eciulla

Eciulla junior member

Hello, saw OS today and he took new xrays. Everything looks fine. He pulled, pushed and bent my leg. All was good. I still have some swelling. Continue to ice and elevate. PT started me this week on strength and balance.

Wants me to get up out of a regular chair without using my hands. This is a killer. Not in the quad though but directly under the kneecap. Does the quad muscle run down to the knee?

I am not sure what more reassurance I am looking for. Even though the doc and PT says I am ahead of protocol, I feel I am not progressing quickly enough. UGH. !

16. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

5 weeks is very early days. It is too early, especially since it is so painful, to get up from a chair without using your hands. Depending on the chair I’m in, I still have to use my hands to push up, and I’m 17 months post op. And who cares if I do use my hands.

If anything hurts, don’t do it. Wait and try it again later.
    Nothing in this 52 week, on average, recovery happens quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yes. The quadriceps tendon attaches over the kneecap. While healing you will feel any movement of the quad muscle in the area of the kneecap/under your incision. Everything in that area is aggravated and unhappy in early recovery. You're still in early recovery, so... keep working on reducing swelling. Strength enough to get up from chairs hands-free, or deal with higher steps, etc., will come with time.

Almost no one thinks they are progressing quickly enough. This may be especially true of people who are doing well, because they have no reason not to believe they should be doing better. "If I'm doing well, I should be doing better than this!" Yep. Humans. We're never satisfied. You are doing well. Really well! And will continue to improve. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Eciulla

Eciulla junior member

Thank you for your insight. Makes me feel better to know I am normal!!!

19. Eeek

Eeek senior

Switzerland Switzerland
    My surgery was the day before yours. I have to hold onto something to push off and stand up. Have to put whatever I have in my hand down so I can stand. I suspect you’re absolutely fine. It’s frustrating sometimes, isn’t it....just takes time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Use your hands to push up as long as your knee hurts when you don't use your hands. That pain is telling you that your knee isn't ready for that movement yet. Doing so will just inflame it and cause more pain and swelling. You'll get there when your knee is ready. Trying to push too soon will just set back your recovery, not help it.