THR Early Birthday

Happy to read about all your progress @59billy Glad you like your new grill! My husband is a great grill chef. Always love when it’s warm enough here. Saves me from cooking and it tastes amazing. I too have a great PT group. Looking forward to being released to joining them. They were very helpful last time. Really bored too. Trying to make peace with the Weeks I have left. This bone growing stuff is Slooooooow.

I'm getting the impression that there are two basic approaches that physical therapists take:

1. Look at the patient, their medical records, etc and tailor a plan for them, knowing that you'll have to adjust it as they make progress.

2. Give everyone the same exercises from that photocopied sheet that you've kept since college.

Approach #1 is generally referred to as "competence". The language filter won't let me say what I call the second approach.
#2 = I’m not a PT, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
P.S. I still have that photocopied sheet from 6 years ago!

@Fit4Family the boredom is the worst! Yesterday I was looking out the window, thinking it's time to mow, trim around fences and so forth, and knowing I'm not up to it yet.

@inthebeginning just warm up with some burpees while I go find the 70 pound kettle bell.

Speaking of PT:

They've got a nice set of parallel bars at the facility, but we mostly use it for balance. Anybody who's ever watched TV knows that the parallel bars are where the hero takes his first few halting steps (cut to close-up of his sweat-beaded face of grim determination) as dramatic music plays and everyone cheers. I feel like I've been robbed of my dramatic moment!

@Fit4Family the boredom is the worst! Yesterday I was looking out the window, thinking it's time to mow, trim around fences and so forth, and knowing I'm not up to it yet.

@inthebeginning just warm up with some burpees while I go find the 70 pound kettle bell.
We got about 2” of snow last night, no mowing here!
How many burpees?

Attachments

• 67A27DAB-DCB9-44A8-98C5-88E32645C8D1.jpeg
    67A27DAB-DCB9-44A8-98C5-88E32645C8D1.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 101
I'm at week 10 (tomorrow) and had home PT for 3 weeks which was great. I then returned to my PT who I know well and is a magical healer in my opinion (prior to surgery). I was in so much agony after each session from the rotations he put my leg into while lying on my back (he only gave me 2 gentle actual exercises) that I would be in pain in my groin area where the incision was for almost 2 days. Finally after 2 weeks I stopped going for 2 weeks. My OS agreed I should take a break. I returned and have to say its only the last 3 sessions that I feel how much I am stronger and now able to allow him to do some work on my leg. He does some deep massage on my swollen thigh and other areas and I feel no pain afterwards. So I guess I am saying be careful going to PT too soon or doing bridges, clamshells or any exercises that cause ongoing pain. Its different for all of us but before surgery I could handle anything at PT and felt better. Not post surgery. There is a difference in the pain one feels after a good workout that the muscles get sore and doing PT after a hip replacement and being in pain afterwards. As I've learned from this forum the area was traumatized and needs time to heal.
Good luck!

I think I had another bit of dumb luck with PT. Insurance/admin silliness basically prevented home PT, which I think might have been useless anyway. But I ended up starting outpatient a week or so early AND I went in with a more sceptical attitude than if I wasn't already annoyed, so I'm getting good bang for the buck.

I'm certainly feeling stronger day by day, and allowing flexibility. Only two PT sessions a week, and off day home exercise runs from moderate to none.

Right now, I'm using the walker at night, the cane when I go out, and a comnincombi if cane, walker, and freestyle around the house during the day. I could ditch the walker now, but I'd worry about @Layla and her blood pressure.

Edit: emojis never show up when I use them. Grrr

Nice coincidence: doc changed my pain med to something more expensive right after I hit my out-of-pocket. Take that, bean counters!

Edited to add: everywhere I go in medical land, the same two things happen. When people hear who my surgeon is, they get happy and excited. Patients talk about his good outcomes and nurses talk about how picky he is.

When they hear the name of my insurance company, they look at me with infinite sorrow and compassion, as if I'd told them that my lung cancer had leukemia.

Last edited:
Glad to know all is well...just remember to take note of what and how much if you notice any ongoing pain afterwards.
Main problem is that PTs often try to solve 'overdone it' problems with more PT.:nah:
As long as you are in charge, you've got this!!!!:)

oh, yea

Happy One Month Hipaversary...keep fighting the Good Fight!:yes!:

I could ditch the walker now, but I'd worry about @Layla and her blood pressure.

If you feel you can ditch the walker....Go For It! I despised the walker. I couldn't wait to get rid of it and I did on Day 11-12. With much determination I practiced with the cane until I felt comfortable and hung onto that for about a week, or week and a half until it landed in my back seat of my car for a couple months....just in case. I don't know what the "just in case" may have been and thankfully I never found out.
So.... I'm all for losing the walker when you feel confident enough to do so.

Hope you have a peaceful evening and a great weekend.
@59billy

Oops, almost forgot....
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Time flies when you're having fun :heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties