Duxdeluxe is a Newbie preparing for LTHR Surgery 11/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR EMERITIUS
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
So pleased to have been turned on to this site by my Dr. A wealth of info and wonderful input by those who've gone through it, the best kind of advice! I'm so new I can't even figure out how to post for all!​
Arthritis in both hips and lumbar spine, had been getting around well except for some real stiffness issues until I slipped at work last December, did the big allie-oop maneuver with my left leg, twisted and wrenched things a bit as I caught myself from going to the floor. Unfortunately this slip maneuver sent me into a quick downhill spiral and after trying to fake my way through the days at work (retail, standing 7.5 hours a day) with MRI confirming four tears and fraying in left labrum could no longer continue to work as the pain became unbearable. Went out on medical leave last February. I thought with therapy at first I might be able to bring myself around to at least the condition I was in before the slip but after 26 PT sessions, only had a bit of ROM improvement. Hit the wall and decided I'd already lost 2012 to the left hip, I surely won't lose more time next year and look forward to pain free mobility again soon. And never having been one to take meds, do not want to rely on pain meds to make it through my days. The right hip is looming on the horizon as well, it's not as bad as the left but will need replacement later. I have insurance for now but that goes away Feb. 2013 which is another reason for the push to get the surgery done and still allow time for any unforeseen problem that might arise, all before February. I'll be 63 in December.​
I am a bit worried about the first few days after I'm home post-op. I have a daughter who is able to stay overnight but due to work and school needs to be gone all day and evening. I have friends who've offered to look in on me, maybe help me with my meals and meds and ice but they are unable to stay for too long a period of time when they come to check. Help with meals would be great as I can't imagine how one maneuvers a walker or crutches and plate of food to a table! I am thinking if I can get set up with my meds, some breakfast and bathroom help the first couple days, being alone with someone looking in on me should be alright if I rest, elevate, and ice in between someone being with me. Figured I'd try to stay out of trouble and walk as little as possible when no one is around first few days? I will be having a physical therapist coming 2-3 times a week the first two weeks as well so will be able to have some supervised movement. I figure I'll find out in the hospital how it is to get around, on and off a bed, bathroom trips etc. and I'm hoping I will be reassured that I can do this without help if needed. Anyone navigate their recovery at home without having someone with them full time? Any helpful tips would be appreciated!​
Thanks ahead of time for your words of wisdom, they are greatly appreciated. Onward and upward I go!! duxdeluxe

Hi duxdeluxe, I was alone for most of the time post-op and really had no problem. Have someone look in on you for the first few days. Maybe wait to shower until someone is around to make sure you are safe. I think you will be surprised how easy things are once you are out of pain!

For sure looking at it from this side is a daunting prospect but I can assure you, lots have done it before and survived! However, one issue that is a bother for the first few weeks is how to transport meals and drinks from kitchen to sitting room but there are answers.

1. get yourself a walker with a shelf on it
aencrypted_tbn2_gstatic_com_images_4fbcbf93b5f0b64b79377fd144bcaa9a._.jpg
2. put your meal in plastic boxes and beakers with non-drip lids and put them all in a plastic carrier bag which you can secure to a nice strong belt around your waist. Or use a nice granny pinny with BIG pockets and put them in there. Once at your favourite seat, you can assemble your meal and tuck in! I used to prepare the entire meal in a dinner plate sized box about 2-3" and eat it right out of there!

The walker with the shelf is a great idea and works perfectly for transporting meals. I actually borrowed one from my wife's grandmother and it works like a charm. Me and the family had a good laugh at how I, being 49 years old, was having to borrow a walker from an 82 year old women.

I still use my walker.. For carrying the laundry basket, wheeling things around.. even sitting on it at the breakfast bar.. plan to get my money's worth out of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom