Lounge Doctor

Standard Shoulder Replacement Dukesmom 4 weeks Post op

Dukesmom

Country
United States United States
Hello all,
I’ve read most of the shoulder posts on this blog and the information has been very helpful. It’s always nice to be reassured that what one is feeling is similar to others experience.
I had my right shoulder replaced on November 2 in the afternoon. The block went in at about 2:30. I woke up in recovery at about 6:00 pm and was told my husband was on his way to pick me up. I was shocked because preop, the anesthesiologist told me I’d be staying the night. I expressed my concern and pain symptoms not covered by the block and was changed to an inpatient/admission. It makes me crazy that insurance companies want patients to go home the same day after a major surgery. I was very glad I stayed. My BP was low and I had a lot of muscle spasm. I was able to get a post op RX for gabapentin and a muscle relaxant. Both helped me a lot.
I am now 4 days post op and it’s been a painful day. I have chronic pain. I wear a Fentanyl patch and take 1-3 5mg OxyCodone daily. I’m really struggling to control my post op pain with 10mg OxyCodone every 4 hours. I make it to three hours but that 4th hour is incredibly painful. I’ll be calling my pain doctor on Monday to discuss options for pain control.
My surgeon is on the cutting edge of research for TSR. He is at the Rothman Institute, Jefferson University Hospital. My post op instructions include: no sling at home, PT exercises to keep the hand, elbow and shoulder moving. He doesn’t like ice on the shoulder full time-fear of nerve damage or skin breakdown. Still, I’ve been icing quite a bit, especially to control pain.
I did not get any advice as to sleeping post op, sitting in a recliner, etc. This site provided excellent information to get me prepared for surgery.
Ive got a clear dressing covering my dissolvable sutures. I’m allowed to shower as needed letting water flow over the incision site.
My post op appointment is 11/17. I’ll be back with an update in a few days.
Feel better every one!
1776689A-1566-4E13-B530-8D2123903B51.jpeg
FEF016E9-500D-48DD-B473-E5E9797EEE5C.jpeg
7C42B2D5-CDC7-429B-9261-71713081112C.jpeg

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Dukesmom Welcome to the other side of surgery! Easy does it now. Slow and steady gets you there.

I'm glad you are finding ice helpful. Be sure and put a cloth between your skin and the ice pack.

Wow - no sling to deal with. And yes, you might find your recliner most comfortable in the early days.

Please keep us updated. We are here for you!

OP
OP
D

Dukesmom

Country
Hi Jaycey,
Thanks for the response and support. I really appreciate it. This is a rough surgery and each person has a slightly different experience.
Today is one week post op for me. Most of the ugly swelling has subsided. The remaining bruising is changing colors and slowly disappearing. I continue to use gel packs to ice several times a day though my surgeon does not suggest it. I’m sleeping well, six hours straight then at least 4 more after some pain meds.
My frustration remains in trying to wean down/increase time between narcotic doses. I’m not talking too much it’s just that I feel it’s time to start weaning.
*How/where do I add to my surgery story? Continue here with replies?
Thanks again!

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Dukesmom Yes just continue to post replies here. This is YOUR recovery thread. You can also read and reply to other threads if you want to.

As for the medication you are only a week out from major surgery! Keep up with the medication as long as you need it. I continued the strong pills for about a month after each of my shoulder surgeries and found it easy to go off as I'd just forget to take a dose or two because I did not need it.

You are lucky to not have a sling ... I found those to be awkward and a nuisance.

OP
OP
D

Dukesmom

Country
Quick update:
Those first two weeks were rough! I needed ice several times a day(3-5), pain meds which I alternated with Tylenol, and lots of rest. After two weeks it just got much easier. I had less pain and was able to move my wrist and arm more easily. I am not in a sling. Surgeon says keep upper arm at the side of the body and don’t lift over one pound. Honestly, that’s been difficult now that a lot of pain has subsided.
I’ve been doing very slow, assisted range of motion exercises. I’m doing ok with that but bringing my arm up past 90 degrees is quite painful. I need to be more diligent about doing the range of motion exercises. I’m doing them 2-3 times a day but once in awhile I skip a day and wow, it gets so tight. I DO NOT want a frozen shoulder!
My next appointment is Dec. 15th. At that time I’ll be given my first real PT exercises. I’m looking forward to it although I know it will be difficult.
Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. Happy Hanukkah!

Jockette

Country
Thanks for that update, it’s good to read things are improving.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rosamund Doudna
Recent bookmarks