THR Dual-mobility hip joint?? Plus, scared new forum member

@yoga&hike - Ha! I had to click on that link to see Pigeon's Pose... Don't think I was ever able to do that, you will have to ask that question of the OS's you meet with :). This is what I can do - touch the palms of my hand to floor keeping my legs straight. I can pull both knees up to my chest. I can sit cross legged... I believe it is proven that Dual Mobility has better ROM, what they don't have the long term data is for longevity with the new highly crosslinked vitamin infused plastic although registries show same wear at about the 8-10 year mark. There are some movements that are discouraged but frankly I can't recall. Dr. Bruckner told me to live my life. He preferred I didn't run but said if I had to that walk/run intervals would be preferred. I'm not doing that anyway to protect the other hip... I didn't seek out Dual Mobility, it is what Dr. Bruckner uses. He was recommended by many and the first OS I saw. Dr. Claubeaux uses it too. I think it is more of a OS preference as opposed to something driven by a clinics direction (perhaps none there are familiar as it does only account for about 5% but is gaining popularity). I never saw Dr. Pritchett as the metal/metal aspects of resurfacing concerned me and I didn't see the benefit of ceramic resurfacing or plastic resurfacing (not enough data for me at this point)... Happy to help with questions at anytime!

I have no problem doing Pigeon Pose post-THR. I have a friend who can do full splits with her THR. She is just naturally more limber than I am. Neither of us had Dual Mobility implants. What we did have were great surgeons with lots of experience. I would encourage you to find a surgeon in your area who has consistently good outcomes, rather than let yourself be swayed by the marketing around a particular device.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

I have no problem doing Pigeon Pose post-THR. I have a friend who can do full splits with her THR. She is just naturally more limber than I am. Neither of us had Dual Mobility implants. What we did have were great surgeons with lots of experience. I would encourage you to find a surgeon in your area who has consistently good outcomes, rather than let yourself be swayed by the marketing around a particular device.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for sharing this - you are the first person with regular THR that I have heard from saying that they are able to do these poses. That is really encouraging news.

Dapplega, thank you so much for the added info about hip resurfacing and about your ROM. All of this is very helpful!!

Ptarmigan, thank you for sharing the story of your dad. And congratulations on your surgery date approaching! I'll be sending you good vibes!

Much appreciate all around.

yoga&hike

@yoga&hike I had to look up pigeon pose. I don't think my hips would mind that, but the rest of me can't do it. I am still leery of that full rear extension, and when we stretch in my barre class, I am verrrrry slowly deepening my split, but it hurts way worse than it did 50 some years ago :loll:and I keep the back leg turned out for safety. I've never been limber; I'm the only one in my family of origin who can even touch their toes. When I get my hamstrings softened up, I'll certainly be able to touch the floor flat handed, as that was something I used to do so I know the soft tissue may be willing.

I do not have dual mobility hips that I know of, and I do have a very tight body which has never been good for stuff that requires flexibility. I would like to cast my vote with Alexthecat, as my surgeon is a 300-400/year guy by my count. Kind of an assembly line, but I didn't hire him to be my friend. He hires PA's for the bedside manner part. I think you'll be very pleased if you find someone with plenty of experience, and then give the hip Time To Heal (doing stupid stuff during recovery certainly set me back at the time, and gave me a slightly permanent tendonitis, too. Don't copy me!!)

@yoga&hike It was March when my PCP told me it was time to talk to a surgeon, and May when I had my first consultation. And it wasn’t until Tuesday that my surgeon told me I could live my life however I wanted after fully recovering from surgery - and specifically mentioned yoga. Once you start consulting surgeons- and you’re going to see some outstanding ones - you will finally get the answers to these questions that are so important to your peace of mind.

I have a dual mobility hip after my BHResurfacing failed in a year and with the metal cup able to be saved the dual mobility was a perfect fit in my cup. Seems natural feeling to me even though I am 3 weeks post op.
Prolly can't ski like I used to but enjoy what ya have scuba hiking biking no pain

Hi @yoga&hike,

I had a bilateral THR in June this year.
My surgeon used the Zimmer Biomet dual mobility prostheses.
I’m in Australia, so obviously can’t help with surgeons, but can share my surgeon’s reasoning for using these, which was:
  • My age, he uses them in younger more mobile patients eg. fit and previously active, which I was, running, boot camp & yoga like you
  • They have a lower chance of dislocating due to their ROM, so important if you are more active, you are obviously going to test your hip ROM more than others
  • The decision at the end of the day was his, as he was skilled in direct anterior approach and had used this prosthetic many times
  • So go with what your surgeon feels is the best and one they have the largest amount of experience with, that will give you the best outcome
One thing to take into account is that post surgery your range of movement comes with time, not immediately. My new hips have given me back the potential for better ROM, but now I am working on getting my muscles used to this new range. After years of OA, the muscles had become inflamed, weak and tight, which will take time to recover. As my surgeon said, OA does not just affect your joint, but all the supporting structures around it; muscles, ligaments, tendons, connective tissue etc. That’s the bit that takes time in recovery, and something I had not considered.
All the best with your decision making!!

Hi there!
I just wanted to wish you well and send you calm vibes. I have a surgery scheduled for April 14th in Bellevue, which is ground zero for coronavirus, so I'm nervous about that as well. I'd love to hear people's feedback on it. Am I crazy for doing an elective surgery at this time?

Hi there!
I just wanted to wish you well and send you calm vibes. I have a surgery scheduled for April 14th in Bellevue, which is ground zero for coronavirus, so I'm nervous about that as well. I'd love to hear people's feedback on it. Am I crazy for doing an elective surgery at this time?

Interesting subject. The first patient was kept at the same hospital I had my surgery done. He was admitted after I had been discharged.

My thoughts were that my OS and PA are regularly in the same hospital and what would the chances be of them carrying and transmitting it at a follow up appointment?

I am of the opinion that there is only so much I can do, it's probably already spread throughout the local population and we will never know the extent because asymtomatic carriers will never know they had it.

There is probably a greater risk of getting it from everyday activities like going to the store or a restauraunt than there is of getting it at a hospital where everything is constantly disinfected.

I'd go through with the surgery.

I'd love to hear people's feedback on it. Am I crazy for doing an elective surgery at this time?
There is far too much media hype about this virus. Coronavirus is very similar to getting a cold or the flu. The only difference is that it is a new virus and no one is immune.

The good news is hospital areas are well aware of what is needed to contain this. I would not consider having elective surgery as "crazy" at all. This should have no impact on your surgery or recovery.

What you need to do is follow local guidance regarding hand washing and avoiding crowds. Have a healthy diet and discuss any symptoms/concerns with your surgical team.

I have a surgery scheduled for April 14th in Bellevue, which is ground zero for coronavirus, so I'm nervous about that as well. I'd love to hear people's feedback on it.
I understand your concerns. I have read that your county and state have taken appropriate actions. The House passed a 8.3 billion dollar Bill today to combat this.

There has been research published to guide your community experts. April 14th gives your community time to implement the CDC recommendations including “Resources for Healthcare Facilities.” You can go on the website and read them.

I would continue with your planned surgery.

I would go ahead and have the surgery. Orthopaedic cases are normally kept on a separate section from patient's having other issues in the hospital. This lessens your chances of exposure. In hospital everyone is very aware of not passing any germs in between patients and especially during this time.

Try to stay healthy and eat healthy to keep your immune system at peak.

I would go ahead with the surgery. If it were me this year, I would be having surgery at the medical center which has had Coronavirus patients flown here for quarantine and treatment. My husband works on campus and is continually updated. Everyone is going out of their way to make sure that all patients know how well they will be protected. The Coronavirus patients are completely separated from all others, doctors and staff have strict rules about travel, and protocols are in place about potential infectious patients from the community, if that happens. In short, I would not hesitate to have my surgery done especially knowing how that surgery gave me back my life. I would not delay it unless the facility itself said I couldn’t. Full steam ahead and it will be okay and so worth it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie