THR Icing

Good Morning @Melina I'm sorry you're feeling blue. :console2:
Nine weeks is definitely early into the healing process. Especially given the years the implant should be in place. Recovery can take a full year as there is a lot of internal healing happening. Post Op Blues do happen and it's usually short lived. So please don't despair.
Continue to ice and elevate for the swelling and remember this is only temporary. All will slowly ease with time.
Wishing you comfort and a pleasant weekend.
Happy Valentines Day! :loveshwr:

@CricketHip Do you consider 9 weeks still early after the surgery? I am a little impatient maybe. And post-op blues?

No, I don't, and yes, you are being a wee bit impatient. Your hip is telling you that it needs more time. Post op blues are certainly a factor.. I was feeling pretty blue at around 8-9 weeks.. feeling that I wasn't progressing as quickly as I did with my first hip, ( lefty) and a little bit worries, even though I should know better.

You can't force things.. all that does is give you a set back.
I see Layla just added info about post op blues and I hope you will read them.

This is all small potatoes, believe me.
We tried to plan things to get me out of the house and to keep my mind busy,, sometimes a nice drive in the country and many times a good movie in a cinema with reclining seats.. which are the best thing ever!

This too shall pass.. :friends::friends:

@Melina yes 9 weeks is still early.

Question: where are you with walking right now? Walker? Cane? Unassisted? ... How long can you go? ... How soon is pain triggered?

@crickeHip Actually I am going to a cinema with my husband tonight :) This too shall pass is my mantra. I used to have it on my wall and thanks for reminding me. Being here makes me feel I am not alone with this, so I am very grateful I found this forum.

@Going4fun I haven’t measured how far I can walk but pretty far with canes. It varies from day to day how far I can walk before pain sets in. I can also walk a little bit unassisted but start to limp and get pain so I avoid it.

Thank you Layla and Happy Valentines to you! Yes, I know all this but still, some of the symptoms are a bit frightening. It really helps being here and getting all the support not feeling alone. I am very happy I found this forum. Love to you all!

@Melina we all get weird little aches and pains here and there that make us go, what did I do? We all go through the phase where we think we should be further along. That's what makes Bone Smart so great, anytime we start to question something we come here for support and validation that what we're feeling is normal. :friends:

Just wanted to let you know that today is a much better day for me with less pain and paresthesias. Hip hooray! All the resting and icing worked. And going to the cinema :yahoo:Thanks for all support!

Hello @Melina
Great news that you're having a good day. May it only continue to get better. I hope you enjoy the movie. So many of the theaters have those squishy recliners these days making it very comfortable to sit for a couple hours. Enjoy!

Love it. It's the best! Gone are the days of sticky cement floors that your shoes stuck to from spilled soda pop. No longer any worries that a tall person, or someone with big hair will sit in front of you blocking your view of the screen. And the best....no standing up to let the people in the middle of the row out for snacks or bathroom breaks.
So awesome! Have fun, Melina! :)
@Melina

Keep all slow and steady, my friend.
Things seemed really hard to keep in balance, and I felt month 4 was my biggest turn around.
As much as I appreciate the skill of my surgeon, I didn't get alot of information or instruction about expectations for the first months of recovery...Bonesmart was my lifeline.
You are not what you were, and you aren't yet what you will be.
Flex that patience muscle....:wink:

Hi! Does anyone know about risks of cobalt toxicity/allergy with dual mobility cup made of steel with polyethylene liner and cobalt/chrome head? I am a bit concerned about the cobalt head and didn’t know my OS had used it for my THR. It it not metal on metal though.

@Melina
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you

Don't worry that we won't see your question as, between us, the staff read all new threads each day.

I don't know as much about hips as I do about knees, so I'm going to ask @Jaycey if she can answer your question.

By the way, are you allergic to any metals? I was just wondering why you're concerned about cobalt.

Ok! I am sorry to have started a new thread so thank you for merging them together. I am not allergic to cobalt or other metals that I know of. But, since there has been issues with cobalt toxicity/allergy I don’t like having it in my body. I have been struggling with muscle/joint pain recently which I never had before the surgery.

If you don't have any metal allergy I really would not worry about your implant. All implants have some type of metal in them.
But, since there has been issues with cobalt toxicity/allergy
What "issues" are you referring to? Have you been reading about metal on metal hips? There have been issues regarding cobalt toxicity in patients who have MoM hips. But MoM implants are no longer used in the US and the UK for this reason.

I have read that even MOP (metal on polyethylene) can cause metal ions in the bloodstream which in turn can lead to health problems. Especially with cobalt/chrome heads. Anyone with experience of this? I hope it is a rare complication.

I have read that even MOP (metal on polyethylene) can cause metal ions in the bloodstream which in turn can lead to health problems.
Can you give us a link to the studies you have researched?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Steveg63
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom